Sloan to Graduate in May | Syracusefan.com

Sloan to Graduate in May

Whitey23

Twitter Wizard
@Stephen_Bailey1

Syracuse DT Ryan Sloan has decided to stop playing football, SU head Scott Shafer said through SU Athletics. He's set to graduate in May.

Hmmm, one more DT down. Hope the freshman are ready to play

not good i like him as a player

I feel comfortable saying this now that he is no longer playing but I know for a fact that he wasnt one of Daoust favorites. I wish the kid the best. He is gonna leave with a SU degree. That's a good deal.

I thought this was already announced, or at least planned for?

Is anybody really surprised? The kid could never get his career going.

I feel comfortable saying this now that he is no longer playing but I know for a fact that he wasnt one of Daoust favorites. I wish the kid the best. He is gonna leave with a SU degree. That's a good deal.

Ya I was going to say he has seemingly been in the dog house since day 1. I know they wanted him at a certain weight after his knee injuries, and he was never able to make it there. Work ethic wasn't his strong suit.

That's 2 in about two months and the season hasn't started yet. Coleman and now Sloan. This is where I think we need as much depth as we can get. I hope Slayton works out in the middle. Raymon and Williams would be my guess as starters.

Definitely concern about the DT Depth chart, but I will say that I'd rather the staff have the ability to add on a late recruit in March/April if for instance a kid magically qualifies or doesn't meet the requirements of another school but can still get into SU (Where's Stanford when we need them?) than have to carry someone that really doesn't want to play. So probably best for both parties.

The writing was on the wall. Good luck to him.

That's 2 in about two months and the season hasn't started yet. Coleman and now Sloan. This is where I think we need as much depth as we can get. I hope Slayton works out in the middle. Raymon and Williams would be my guess as starters.
Didn't we lose Harvey as well?

Wouldn't be surprised to see a JUCO here for depth

I would, since we've used up all 25 scholarships for 2015.

Someone would have to not qualify to free up a spot.

Not a very good article. Just keep in mind there are two sides to every story. Sloan's problem from what I understand was a poor work ethic.

I liked what he was doing on the field at the end of the season - go watch the Duke game. But if you're not willing to put in the work off the field or in practice then you really don't deserve to play.

The thing that most disturbed me about the article was Sloan's perception that the coaching staff was ignoring him for a period after they had suggested that he transfer and then rather suddenly renewing their interest in him when the program lost a d tackle. This is entirely believable to me and I have seen other staffs conduct themselves in this way. Kids are commodities to some extent in football programs. There are limited scholarships, roster balance changes from year to year, kids do dumb things and sometimes don't satisfy their end of the bargain and can be very frustrating. In general, I just wish coaches would bring a little more humanity and maturity to the profession, something which I think Shafer's staff does pretty well but in this case maybe not so much.

Sucks that we lost harvey, though. In my mind he was the better prospect than Samuels.

Does Isaiah Johnson now get more run at DT? I hope this doesn't mean Ron Thompson sees snaps at DT unless on 3rd and forever and Simmons and Arciniega can rush the passer. Lots of question marks but enthused about the potential of Slayton, Clark, and Pickard for this coming season. And if Wayne Williams really wants to make a living playing football, it's put up or shut up time for him.