Sloan to Graduate in May | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sloan to Graduate in May

This is a classic case of a kid not being good enough, not wanting to work hard enough to play, blaming the coaches for his lack of playing and giving him the cold shoulder. He should have stepped up then. When coaches tell you what you have to do to get on the field, do it or shut up. This happens on every team.

Not a very good article. Just keep in mind there are two sides to every story. Sloan's problem from what I understand was a poor work ethic.

I liked what he was doing on the field at the end of the season - go watch the Duke game. But if you're not willing to put in the work off the field or in practice then you really don't deserve to play.
I haven't read the article yet, but Bailey was on Twitter earlier saying that while it is one sided, they did offer Shafer a chance to comment this morning and he declined, so Sloan's was the only side they had to work with.

D1 athletics is about production. I'm not going to bash either side, but it sounds best for both for Sloan to finish up and move on. Hope he finds a place to play and earn a grad degree.

I haven't read the article yet, but Bailey was on Twitter earlier saying that while it is one sided, they did offer Shafer a chance to comment this morning and he declined, so Sloan's was the only side they had to work with.

Yeah I get that and I would decline to comment to.

Whitey23 said:

I'm sure this article will get Bailey some extra insight on the program (sarcasm). Even if Shafer wouldn't comment, I would try Daoust, or anyone else associated with the program to try and get both sides of the story. If they don't want to comment, say so, but I don't think he is doing himself any favors by writing a 1 sided article, especially when the other side is pretty well known, and explains a lot of what led up to this. The PS must love not having access to the program. Sucks for the fans.

The thing that most disturbed me about the article was Sloan's perception that the coaching staff was ignoring him for a period after they had suggested that he transfer and then rather suddenly renewing their interest in him when the program lost a d tackle. This is entirely believable to me and I have seen other staffs conduct themselves in this way. Kids are commodities to some extent in football programs. There are limited scholarships, roster balance changes from year to year, kids do dumb things and sometimes don't satisfy their end of the bargain and can be very frustrating. In general, I just wish coaches would bring a little more humanity and maturity to the profession, something which I think Shafer's staff does pretty well but in this case maybe not so much.

Seems their interest level and lack thereof coincides with the times he making the expected weight vs him being over weight. Just sayin...

I'm sure this article will get Bailey some extra insight on the program (sarcasm). Even if Shafer wouldn't comment, I would try Daoust, or anyone else associated with the program to try and get both sides of the story. If they don't want to comment, say so, but I don't think he is doing himself any favors by writing a 1 sided article, especially when the other side is pretty well known, and explains a lot of what led up to this. The PS must love not having access to the program. Sucks for the fans.
Bring back Rahme and Webb

First of all, I've always believed that our perceptions of events are almost always influenced by how we experience them. Our experience is always based in an emotional reaction and is always more subjective than objective. That being said, big time football programs are guided by wins and losses. Sometimes mistakes are made inclusive of who is recruited. There is always cases where expectations are not met from both sides, players and coaches. That's part of life and the best thing to do is simply move on.

Athletic scholarships are year to year arrangements and either side can opt out. Other schools simply do not renew scholarships for players that do not meet expectations. To the credit of Syracuse, I can't remember that ever happening unless there were events off the field like violations of the law. I think we honor our commitments to the athlete. Also, Schafer's non-response is appropriate since he is honoring the confidentiality of the student, even it means at the expense of his integrity.

Personally, I do not know any of the principals involved in this case, but I've always felt that Sloan was a mistake and probably not a division I player. Also, I seem to remember an incident with a Long Island recruit's grades that were said to be altered to make him eligible for admission. I'm not sure of the outcome of it but as I recall people lost their jobs because of it. I may be wrong, but I think Sloan was the recruit. If so, minimally, this would cast a shadow on his character.

Not a very good article. Just keep in mind there are two sides to every story. Sloan's problem from what I understand was a poor work ethic.

I liked what he was doing on the field at the end of the season - go watch the Duke game. But if you're not willing to put in the work off the field or in practice then you really don't deserve to play.

I think most people with a brain can see through his story. This quote jumped off the page:

""I thought to myself that this wasn't fair," Sloan said. "I couldn't understand why I wouldn't be invited back to camp because of a few pounds."

Crying "unfair" is usually a sign that someone isn't interested in working hard. At the time he was TWO pounds away from the goal that Shafer set. So just lose the damn two pounds.

I think most people with a brain can see through his story. This quote jumped off the page:

""I thought to myself that this wasn't fair," Sloan said. "I couldn't understand why I wouldn't be invited back to camp because of a few pounds."

Crying "unfair" is usually a sign that someone isn't interested in working hard. At the time he was TWO pounds away from the goal that Shafer set. So just lose the damn two pounds.
exlax-sign.jpg

That quote tells me it wasnt just about 2 pounds. It tells me he was not good enough with or without the extra weight. He had a poor work ethic and poor attitude. I heard this from some reliable people. I am not bashing the kid. I never met him. I wish him well in life. Hopefully he gets over his bitterness and give back to the program some day. Every year players on every college team leave the program unhappy with their playing time, their performance or in some cases how they were treated by coaches.

Lets look at Sloan's own statements. First they spoke to him about transferring to a lesser level of competition. Second they wanted him to lose 8 pounds over a off season and he failed do so. Thirdly even if he got a cold shoulder he still got a SU Scholarship, this May and Four, they were still offering him to come back for a final season even after he would have had said degree.
I hope Sloan moves forward, can use his degree to further his life. I appreciate his efforts and commitment in getting his degree and wish him the best. I also hope as he looks back on his life he might just see that people that want the best from someone actually push you and sometimes it is not comfortable.

money3189 said:
This is a classic case of a kid not being good enough, not wanting to work hard enough to play, blaming the coaches for his lack of playing and giving him the cold shoulder. He should have stepped up then. When coaches tell you what you have to do to get on the field, do it or shut up. This happens on every team.

The only thing that bothers me is if the coaches told him to prioritize football over academics. I assume that's an unspoken demand from football coaches, but to see it out there does not make the staff look good.

The rest of the article doesn't bother me at all. And from everything I read about Shafer, I don't know that I believe it. But it still isn't a good look regardless of its veracity.

That quote tells me it wasnt just about 2 pounds. It tells me he was not good enough with or without the extra weight. He had a poor work ethic and poor attitude. I heard this from some reliable people. I am not bashing the kid. I never met him. I wish him well in life. Hopefully he gets over his bitterness and give back to the program some day. Every year players on every college team leave the program unhappy with their playing time, their performance or in some cases how they were treated by coaches.

If the coaches are giving you a blueprint for how you can be a successful member of the team, and you fail to follow it, then why the hell would you expect them to be engaging to you after that? You're basically dead weight in their eyes and I don't blame them for that. And from the sounds of it and what we've seen out of him, he probably should have transferred down a level. Would have been best for both parties.

Outside of the prioritizing football over classes part of the article (which may or may not be true), he comes off as a big baby if you ask me.

I wish Sloan well and am glad he's leaving with a degree.

That said, he looked like a fat blob and that fight/penalty/whatever during the Boston College game was something that should never happen when we're trying to win a football game.

You have to go through the SID (Sue Edson) regardless of who you want to talk to. A no for Shafer is a no for anyone else, especially when it's an issue like this.

You have to go through the SID (Sue Edson) regardless of who you want to talk to. A no for Shafer is a no for anyone else, especially when it's an issue like this.

Either way I just don't see why the PS constantly thinks it's a good idea to try and make the program look bad, especially when you know (or they should) there is more to the story. The average Central New Yorker, or anyone else (recruits/recruits parents) reading this article will think we have a total assshole running the program. I am sure the staff is furious over this article, just like they have been about numerous other pieces they done the past year. Now I know the excuse. It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the program. Ok, fine I understand that, but do they really think continually doing stuff like this is going to gain them more access? It's not, and more access is what the average reader should want. I don't remember Rahme doing stuff like this, and that's why he got access, which made his stuff a must read. And say what you want about Mike M over at tos, but he gets the access he does because he doesn't write BS like this. He'll throw out a puff piece every now and again, but imo it's worth it. I know the staff isn't feeding stuff to the PS guys, but you know who they are feeding information...it's the guy who doesn't write 1 sided articles.

anomander said:
Either way I just don't see why the PS constantly thinks it's a good idea to try and make the program look bad, especially when you know (or they should) there is more to the story. The average Central New Yorker, or anyone else (recruits/recruits parents) reading this article will think we have a total assshole running the program. I am sure the staff is furious over this article, just like they have been about numerous other pieces they done the past year. Now I know the excuse. It's not my job to be a cheerleader for the program. Ok, fine I understand that, but do they really think continually doing stuff like this is going to gain them more access? It's not, and more access is what the average reader should want. I don't remember Rahme doing stuff like this, and that's why he got access, which made his stuff a must read. And say what you want about Mike M over at tos, but he gets the access he does because he doesn't write BS like this. He'll throw out a puff piece every now and again, but imo it's worth it. I know the staff isn't feeding stuff to the PS guys, but you know who they are feeding information...it's the guy who doesn't write 1 sided articles.

Agree 100%. They should write more from the "what do fans want to hear about" and less from the "what will be sensational and get us the most clicks."

Agree 100%. They should write more from the "what do fans want to hear about" and less from the "what will be sensational and get us the most clicks."

All you have to do is look at the comment section. I don't even want to click on it again, but when I read the article around 4pm it already had 56 comments. There normal articles don't even get a quarter of that. Obviously controversy = clicks.

All you have to do is look at the comment section. I don't even want to click on it again, but when I read the article around 4pm it already had 56 comments. There normal articles don't even get a quarter of that. Obviously controversy = clicks.

That's "journalism" these days. Leading headlines and one sided articles are what drive the bus in our click universe. When you add the other side ( if you ever do), more clicks!

Ever consider the possibility that Shafer is a paranoid control freak like many other football coaches?

In the comments to the article, Bailey says the following ...
"Just wanted to drop a note here after clarifying the weight requirement info with Ryan this morning. He said that the 310-pound requirement was set for the start of preseason camp, not summer workouts. Sloan was not held out of any workouts and did cut his weight from 318 to 301 pounds before the first day of camp."

Well then color me confused.