SLU's terrifying mascot update | Syracusefan.com

SLU's terrifying mascot update

What about making therapists available to counsel students or children who are terrified or begin to suffer PTS ?

I may need to take a day off of work after seeing this. Viewer discretion is advised.

new-billiken-mascot-reveal.jpg

What about making therapists available to counsel students or children who are terrified or begin to suffer PTS ?

I may need to take a day off of work after seeing this. Viewer discretion is advised.

View attachment 77349

and yet still better than an Orange from the snow belt.

and yet still better than an Orange from the snow belt.

No. Otto is one of the most unique, fun, and recognizable mascots in all of college sports. Getting rid of him or the orange name/identity of Syracuse would be a hideously bad idea. There is a school of thought that says the mascot is supposed to be scary, intimidating, aggressive, or whatever. Please. I'm sure the 300 lb linemen and 6'10" basketball players Syracuse plays against would be totally cowed if we had a generic "wildcat" stuffed animal with fangs. Otto is absolutely perfect for a mascot.

If you insist it has to be a strike-fear-in-the-hearts of the opponent mascot, then I will settle for nothing short of changing the mascot to a nuclear bomb. Not a stuffed animal, but an actual, live, armed nuclear bomb that the cheerleaders (or Dome Eddie) rolls around the dome on a dolly.

No. Otto is one of the most unique, fun, and recognizable mascots in all of college sports. Getting rid of him or the orange name/identity of Syracuse would be a hideously bad idea. There is a school of thought that says the mascot is supposed to be scary, intimidating, aggressive, or whatever. Please. I'm sure the 300 lb linemen and 6'10" basketball players Syracuse plays against would be totally cowed if we had a generic "wildcat" stuffed animal with fangs. Otto is absolutely perfect for a mascot.

If you insist it has to be a strike-fear-in-the-hearts of the opponent mascot, then I will settle for nothing short of changing the mascot to a nuclear bomb. Not a stuffed animal, but an actual, live, armed nuclear bomb that the cheerleaders (or Dome Eddie) rolls around the dome on a dolly.

What I can never get past with Otto is that he is a result of the PC removal of Orange MEN and the Saltine Warrior. Combined, they were fearsome enough. But the kids do love the squeezable Orange.

What I can never get past with Otto is that he is a result of the PC removal of Orange MEN and the Saltine Warrior. Combined, they were fearsome enough. But the kids do love the squeezable Orange.

Otto came well before the elimination of "Orangemen". Otto was the unofficial mascot from 1990 and was officially named SU's mascot in 1995. Orangemen was eliminated in 2004 while the Saltine Warrior was retired after American Indian protests in 1978 and was replaced by a Roman gladiator no one liked that same year, 1978.

Cheriehoop said:
Otto came well before the elimination of "Orangemen". Otto was the unofficial mascot from 1990 and was officially named SU's mascot in 1995. Orangemen was eliminated in 2004 while the Saltine Warrior was retired after American Indian protests in 1978 and was replaced by a Roman gladiator no one liked that same year, 1978.

In 1978 or 1979 my fraternity brothers and I dressed up one of our brothers as a big paper mache Orange and he ran around Archbold stadium during a football game. It was around the same time that they were looking for a new mascot. Some day the true story of the origin of Otto will be told.

Sorry, but that new one isn't more terrifying than the old one:

missouri-saint-louis-billiken-mascot-chairs.jpg

How about Trump, he certainly is orange and has that capacity.

My wife, an Auburn grad that loves her Aubie the Tiger, now prefers Otto. My nephew, who is not yet into sports, said he thought he was a cheese puff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bspencer309

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom