So I'm in Charlottesville working... | Syracusefan.com

So I'm in Charlottesville working...

SoBeCuse

Living Legend
In Charlottesville for almost a month working and this pops up in the local paper, ha. BTW, this has to be one of the nicest college towns in the country. The good restaurants, breweries, wineries, etc., per capita is insane. The pedestrian mall here is fantastic and similar to the Boulder, CO one just bigger and classier. I know you guys like to dis other teams/schools/campuses but UVA/Charlottesville is as good as it gets for a city not as big as Madison or Austin. Highly recommend getting down here to see the Orange on the road.
image.jpeg

In Charlottesville for almost a month working and this pops up in the local paper, ha. BTW, this has to be one of the nicest college towns in the country. The good restaurants, breweries, wineries, etc., per capita is insane. The pedestrian mall here is fantastic and similar to the Boulder, CO one just bigger and classier. I know you guys like to dis other teams/schools/campuses but UVA/Charlottesville is as good as it gets for a city not as big as Madison or Austin. Highly recommend getting down here to see the Orange on the road. View attachment 71280
I agree. Charlottesville is one of my favorite cities in the U.S. The campus, the architecture, all the historical sites in the area, etc. It's a great place to spend a few days.

A few years ago, we took a leisurely road trip (not in this sequence) to Charleston, the Outer Banks, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Assateague/Chicoteague, Charlottesville and Gettysburg. Every stop was memorable.

I agree. Charlottesville is one of my favorite cities in the U.S. The campus, the architecture, all the historical sites in the area, etc. It's a great place to spend a few days.

A few years ago, we took a leisurely road trip (not in this sequence) to Charleston, the Outer Banks, Williamsburg, Jamestown, Assateague/Chicoteague, Charlottesville and Gettysburg. Every stop was memorable.
So you really fell in love with the mosquitos at Assateague/Chicoteague?

So you really fell in love with the mosquitos at Assateague/Chicoteague?
Hey, it's good preparation for my trip to Rio next month! (I actually don't remember any mosquitoes from Assateague/Chicoteague).

Last edited:
Hey, it's good preparation for my trip to Rio next month! (I actually don't remember any mosquitoes from Assateague/Chicoteague).
'Was there many years ago and thought they were hummingbirds!

All kidding aside, they were the worst I'd seen until I went to Alaska.

Yup, though still need to hit the OB and Jamestown. Recently went through the genealogy thing and found a pretty direct link to a survivor of the Jamestown Massacre.

I went to grad school at UVA. I think that it may be my favorite place I ever lived. My wife and I want to go back just to eat.

I wore my UVA sweat shirt to the United Center for the UVA-Iowa State and was chatting it up with the UVA fans who were pretty disappointed when I took it off for the second game with my SU t-shirt underneath. They were pretty good sports about the Elite 8 game on Sunday.

In Charlottesville for almost a month working and this pops up in the local paper, ha. BTW, this has to be one of the nicest college towns in the country. The good restaurants, breweries, wineries, etc., per capita is insane. The pedestrian mall here is fantastic and similar to the Boulder, CO one just bigger and classier. I know you guys like to dis other teams/schools/campuses but UVA/Charlottesville is as good as it gets for a city not as big as Madison or Austin. Highly recommend getting down here to see the Orange on the road.

BTDT, agree completely. Never saw so many red bricks with white columns, and Sycamore trees.

UVa Bldgs.JPG

Last edited:
I went to grad school at UVA. I think that it may be my favorite place I ever lived. My wife and I want to go back just to eat.

I wore my UVA sweat shirt to the United Center for the UVA-Iowa State and was chatting it up with the UVA fans who were pretty disappointed when I took it off for the second game with my SU t-shirt underneath. They were pretty good sports about the Elite 8 game on Sunday.

It's fantastic. I still can't get enough of the restaurants around here and I have been in town two other times for at least a week! Peter Chang's, Mas, Orzo, Whiskey Jar, Bizou, Tavola, Alley Light, Dr. Ho's, Lampo, etc. I could go on and on. Of course the Presedential history is noteworthy here but it really has everything. I've also done some epic hikes. Cheers.

cto said:
I was thinking today how much someone would have to pay me to go. Answer: a lot!!!

Be safe!

It's fantastic. I still can't get enough of the restaurants around here and I have been in town two other times for at least a week! Peter Chang's, Mas, Orzo, Whiskey Jar, Bizou, Tavola, Alley Light, Dr. Ho's, Lampo, etc. I could go on and on. Of course the Presedential history is noteworthy here but it really has everything. I've also done some epic hikes. Cheers.
I actually live in cville. All great restaurants you mentioned. While you're still hear, make sure to try ivy inn and maya, my 2 favorites. Maya has twelve dollar tuesdays which gets you an entree and side - best deal in town.

Also oakhart social has great small plates.

I actually live in cville. All great restaurants you mentioned. While you're still hear, make sure to try ivy inn and maya, my 2 favorites. Maya has twelve dollar tuesdays which gets you an entree and side - best deal in town.

Also oakhart social has great small plates.

I hear Maya and Ivy Inn are great. Thanks. I also went to an excellent place called Duner's which one wouldn't guess from the outside is as good as it is. Still always wowed how many great spots there are!

I hear Maya and Ivy Inn are great. Thanks. I also went to an excellent place called Duner's which one wouldn't guess from the outside is as good as it is. Still always wowed how many great spots there are!
I hear duners is terrific. I need to get over there!

sorry to throw a negative take in here. But to me UVA is an obnoxious preppy school filled with kids who couldn't get in to Duke, Emory, or any elite northern school. That would all be fine if they weren't so douchey. They are neither truly southern nor northern. The MBA program (something I know a bit about) is like a poor mans Harvard - they replicate the case study teaching method (which is incredibly outmoded) but do so badly, yet the grads still tend to be more arrogant than guys from significantly better programs. As for the white columns and brick - far lesser institutions do a better job with that style (Roanoke comes to mind) and there is just nothing original architecturally about it. I just cant get behind UVA as any place to get excited about. Least favorite ACC member other than NC State. Sorry :). Each to his own.

image.jpeg
sorry to throw a negative take in here. But to me UVA is an obnoxious preppy school filled with kids who couldn't get in to Duke, Emory, or any elite northern school. That would all be fine if they weren't so douchey. They are neither truly southern nor northern. The MBA program (something I know a bit about) is like a poor mans Harvard - they replicate the case study teaching method (which is incredibly outmoded) but do so badly, yet the grads still tend to be more arrogant than guys from significantly better programs. As for the white columns and brick - far lesser institutions do a better job with that style (Roanoke comes to mind) and there is just nothing original architecturally about it. I just cant get behind UVA as any place to get excited about. Least favorite ACC member other than NC State. Sorry :). Each to his own.

Hi there. UVA alum here :). I'll let you be in charge of which schools have the worst MBAs (FWIW, UVA's MBA program was ranked #2 in the world by the Economist last year) but you're a bit out of your depth with the architecture. The center of the college as designed by our third friggin president in 1819. I've been to a bunch of colleges and university's and none of them have a cooler architectural history than UVA. Of course, I was stuck in the biology building which was easily the worst building on campus. You have to be kidding me with Roanoke's architecture. It's not even close. And how is not being a northern or southern school a negative?

cuseinchina said:
All other things aside what's wrong with the case study method?