texascpa

Living Legend
and here are a few things I've seen from BGSU midway through the third:

- offensive play getting off with 32 seconds remaining on the play clock
- onside kick after a TD in the third quarter
- lots of slants
- lots of sideline throws
- Going for it on 4th and 4 from Indiana's 36
- a defense that plays the run pretty well, but a secondary that has missed coverage
- a QB that doesn't have a strong arm or great accuracy but is still able to move the ball
- a quick, shifty running back with most run plays between the tackles

Man, I'm ready!

So glad there is more talk about FB. Getting tired of reading and writing all the BS on the off-topic forum.:rolleyes:

I noticed a precipitous drop in how much I cared about the election the week of the final four.

Hope that tend picks up in September.

donniesyracuse said:
That was not one of Dungey's strengths last year. I assume that is a point of emphasis for him this offseason.

Looked good in the spring game.

Looked good in the spring game.
23138-excellentjpg-zryq.jpeg

I noticed a precipitous drop in how much I cared about the election the week of the final four.

Hope that tend picks up in September.

Amen, brother, amen. Praying for sooner than September--and hoping it lasts until we at least clinch a bowl bid!

That was not one of Dungey's strengths last year. I assume that is a point of emphasis for him this offseason.
Dungeys biggest weakness IMO is the ability to throw a true heater (arm strength).If he gets this down watch out !

A little easier in my opinion to be aggressive with the fake punts and the 4th down calls when you are playing the big underdog role. Hopefully that doesn't change now that the staff is in the big leagues.

A little easier in my opinion to be aggressive with the fake punts and the 4th down calls when you are playing the big underdog role.
I hope we don't see much fake punt/field goal crap. Just line-up and go for it on 4th down because the data says you should.

Dungeys biggest weakness IMO is the ability to throw a true heater (arm strength).If he gets this down watch out !
You think so? I'll never consider a QB who is capable of a throw like this (40 yard frozen rope across his body) as one who is lacking arm strength.

Newhouser said:
A little easier in my opinion to be aggressive with the fake punts and the 4th down calls when you are playing the big underdog role. Hopefully that doesn't change now that the staff is in the big leagues.

They did it against every team, even the conf championship. It's a core tenant.

donniesyracuse said:
I hope we don't see much fake punt/field goal crap. Just line-up and go for it on 4th down because the data says you should.

They do it even when the data says you shouldn't. Against Tenn last year, BGSU did it from their own 30-ish yard line.

You think so? I'll never consider a QB who is capable of a throw like this (40 yard frozen rope across his body) as one who is lacking arm strength.

Just a flick - not even getting into the throw. Can't wait to get the show on the road!

To put that BGSU v Indiana game in context, it was the 3rd game in the 2014 season. Babers' 3rd game with his new gig. He lost his starting QB (Matt Johnson, who put up good numbers in 2013) in the 1st game of the season. He inherited a lot of offensive talent, but not so much on the defensive side of the ball -- the 2014 defense was a rebuild with young players. And still, he found ways to pull this upset, his 3rd game there.

They do it even when the data says you shouldn't. Against Tenn last year, BGSU did it from their own 30-ish yard line.
it was actually 4th and 3 from their own 13 yard line (I went and looked it up - the result was an 18 yard gain). This just supports your point more, of course.

it was actually 4th and 3 from their own 13 yard line (I went and looked it up - the result was an 18 yard gain). This just supports your point more, of course.

Good catch - was going from memory.

The announcers were the best. They were shocked they actually went for it.

I'm not really talking about arm distance basically. I'm talking about downright gun over the middle... Nassib like

I'm not really talking about arm distance basically. I'm talking about downright gun over the middle... Nassib like

WHY would we even want that??
Nassib constantly blasted the ball thru the hand and arms of receivers and backs when they were only a few yards away from him.
It wasn't until his Sr. year that he started to show a little bit of touch, but would still often gun it in, causing a bobble or drop - when just a simple toss was the better play.

Dungey has MORE than enough arm to make all the throws he will be required to make.

WHY would we even want that??
Nassib constantly blasted the ball thru the hand and arms of receivers and backs when they were only a few yards away from him.
It wasn't until his Sr. year that he started to show a little bit of touch, but would still often gun it in, causing a bobble or drop - when just a simple toss was the better play.

Dungey has MORE than enough arm to make all the throws he will be required to make.
Need a rocket on a quick slant sometimes. We have receivers who will pull them in. Of course, you need touch in certain situations that goes without saying.

Im with you Canadian. One of Dungey weaknesses is the quick game. Its not necessarily an issue with arm strength. Its more about getting rid of the ball fast. Certain plays are designed for that. We didnt see that last year. He was young last year and the staff allowed him to use his legs to make plays. Every QB and every system should have a series of 3 step drop plays or catch turn throw plays. We have to be able to throw the ball into zone coverages. Especially in the redzone. We throw alot of speed outs in this system, he will need arm strength for those type of throws.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom