So is Wichita St locked in as a 1 if they go undefeated? | Syracusefan.com

So is Wichita St locked in as a 1 if they go undefeated?

Orangemen

All Conference
They're 14-0, and their best wins looks like BYU, Tennessee, and St. Louis. The rest of their sched is made up only of MVC teams in what looks like a pretty down year for the conference.

If they end up undefeated, or maybe even with just 1 loss, I would think a 1 seed is a lock. They look like this years Gonzaga, except these guys have some actual credibility with a FF in their back pocket.

I think that's a good question but undoubtedly they'll be a #1 seed if they haven't lost a game, especially in a year where the power conferences appear to be somewhat underwhelming. I guess the more interesting conversations would be whether they deserve it or whether they'd still be a candidate with one loss. I can envision Arizona, both Duke and Syracuse, and the best two of Wisconsin/Ohio State/Michigan State all having legitimate claims to #1 seeds that a one-loss Wichita State team may have a hard time displacing.

They're 14-0, and their best wins looks like BYU, Tennessee, and St. Louis. The rest of their sched is made up only of MVC teams in what looks like a pretty down year for the conference.

If they end up undefeated, or maybe even with just 1 loss, I would think a 1 seed is a lock. They look like this years Gonzaga, except these guys have some actual credibility with a FF in their back pocket.

2003-04 St. Joseph's Hawks; 27-0 and ranked #1 going into the A-10 tournament and then they lose their first round game by 20 points to the X. Ended up with the #1 seed in the East anyway.

Of course St. Joe's had a backcourt consisting of two future NBA players in Jameer Nelson and Delonte West on that team.

To be a #1 seed, they need Alabama, BYU, St. Louis, and Tennessee to have strong seasons (they've played these four teams and beaten all of them). Also, if they can beat Indiana St. twice and they also have a strong campaign in the MVC (no other losses), this will also help.

I dont see them running the table, bet they lose 2 games

Right now it looks like we are headed for something like

West 1- Arizona
East 1- SU
Midwest 1- Wisky
South 1- Wichita St.

There's a lot of games left to be played, but of all the potential 1's, at least on paper, Wichita st has got the best chance/easiest sched.

This is a good place to ask...

CLEAN thony or CLEE ANTHony?

Running through the mvc road schedule undefeated is tough, even if with will be the clear fav and mvc is a bit down. Smaller arenas and some good fanbases gunning for you all year.

I expect with st will lose at least one. Creighton has been at similar levels in recent years and fizzled.

Considering they made the Final Four last year I think it adds to their credibility as a #1 seed. I absolutely love Ron Baker - kid is a gamer. Cleanthony Early is one of the best forwards in the nation. I have no desire to see them on our path the the Final Four.

I'm gonna fight 'em off
A seven nation army couldn't hold me back
They're gonna rip it off
Taking their time right behind my back

And I'm talking to myself at night
Because I can't forget
Back and forth through my mind
Behind a cigarette

And the message coming from my eyes
Says leave it alone

Don't want to hear about it
Every single one's got a story to tell
Everyone knows about it
From the Queen of England to the hounds of hell

And if I catch it coming back my way
I'm gonna serve it to you
And that ain't what you want to hear
But that's what I'll do

And the feeling coming from my bones
Says find a home

I'm going to Wichita
Far from this opera for evermore
I'm gonna work the straw
Make the sweat drip out of every pore

And I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding, and I'm bleeding
Right before the Lord
All the words are gonna bleed from me
And I will think no more

And the stains coming from my blood
Tell me go back home

Read more: The White Stripes - Seven Nation Army Lyrics | MetroLyrics

I think that's a good question but undoubtedly they'll be a #1 seed if they haven't lost a game, especially in a year where the power conferences appear to be somewhat underwhelming. I guess the more interesting conversations would be whether they deserve it or whether they'd still be a candidate with one loss. I can envision Arizona, both Duke and Syracuse, and the best two of Wisconsin/Ohio State/Michigan State all having legitimate claims to #1 seeds that a one-loss Wichita State team may have a hard time displacing.

The Zags were a #1 seed last year, even though their only 2 losses were to the only Top 20 teams they played, Illinois and Butler, both #13 at the time. Ironically, they were beaten in the second round by - Wichita State. So, yeah, if the Shockers were undefeated, I think they would get a #1. But they would have to beat out all but three of (likely):

Arizona/Oregon (Pac 12)
Syr/Duke/UNC (ACC)
UK/Florida (SEC)
KU/Okla St/Baylor (Big 12)
Wisconsin/Michigan/Ohio State (Big Ten)
Villanova (Big East)

If each of these conferences had a team that did very well during the regular season and won their conference tourney, seedings would get very interesting.

The Zags were a #1 seed last year, even though their only 2 losses were to the only Top 20 teams they played, Illinois and Butler, both #13 at the time. Ironically, they were beaten in the second round by - Wichita State. So, yeah, if the Shockers were undefeated, I think they would get a #1. But they would have to beat out all but three of (likely):

Arizona/Oregon (Pac 12)
Syr/Duke/UNC (ACC)
UK/Florida (SEC)
KU/Okla St/Baylor (Big 12)
Wisconsin/Michigan/Ohio State (Big Ten)
Villanova (Big East)

If each of these conferences had a team that did very well during the regular season and won their conference tourney, seedings would get very interesting.

Undefeated no doubt they get a #1 IMO. BCS teams with 5 losses will be fighting for 1 seeds.

As for the bolded point, this is not the way the committee looks at it. Where Kansas St and Oklahoma St were ranked at the time they played them is totally irrelevant to the committee. Kansas St was a 4 seed, and Oklahoma St is a 5 seed (who they beat on the road). Those are two top 20 wins (based on seeds), including one on the road. So indeed they had two top 20 wins.

Wichita St will not be able to match Gonzaga's level of wins, even with the quality win at St Louis . They don't have stuff to match Kansas and Oklahoma St in OOC play. And with the MVC not appearing to have a top 50 #2 team it reduced quality wins in conferences. Gonzaga was able to get road wins at St. Mary's and BYU (a very tough place to play) which are notable.

The comparison to Gonzaga gets interesting though if they have 1 or 2 losses. Lower win profile, and worse overall losses (if they reach 2) but the big eye test factor of last year really changes things positively for Wichita St.

The other consideration is power ranking. Gonzaga was #5, Wichita St is currently #16 in KP. Big difference. No doubt in my mind some committee members consider that especially for non BCS Schools who simply cant match schedules. The eye test is basically any other crap the committee member wants to use - if a committee member believes in power rankings (and some do in order to try to equalize with BCS) they may just say Wichita St is just not dominant enough.

Last edited:
With little else on as I drove home tonight, I caught some of the Rome interview with Greg Marshall.

Apparently, some Kansas politician, is pushing legislature to force Kansas to play Wichita St annually. Marshall thought the motion was ridiculous... but interestingly said something like "I wouldn't play us if I was Kansas. They have nothing to gain, risk their stature, by playing a teams that can beat them: