So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

If this is true (which I don't believe it is), then it's ALL on coaching. If, after 5 months, you can't teach a guy, and get him to understand at least a good portion of your offensive and defensive philosophies, then maybe it's time for you to hang it up. That's just a BS statement. What's his excuse for Baye, Rak, Cooney & G having little or no positive effect on last night's game? I thought Roberson was better than all of them, minus Rak. I thought Rak was good on the boards.

and yet he's jokey mcjokster when he manages to pull one out. he's thin-skinned to a fault.
the question in question wasn't about his game coaching at all. it was about how tyler roberson might help this team and he handled it very poorly by lighting that kid up.old adage: if you got nothing good to say...or better yet take some of the blame for not preparing him for major minutes.

Last edited:
I'm starting to agree with this and that is a HUGE problem in my book. I'm starting to think he would rather lose his way than win by changing something and as a result having a fat guy yell "I told you so!" in the parking lot of Delmonico's.

I'm smirking at my desk picturing some unkempt goober lecturing JB on the advantages of M2M defense while waiting to get seated at Delmonicos.

Do you think he has a special entrance so he doesn't have to deal with "normal people" during bball season?

believe it or not JB is very indulgent with the fans. if you've met him in person or listened to his radio show he never ever loses it. super guy.
with the media he can be a total a##.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

"He doesn't know the defense"

With all due respect, the zone we run isn't rocket science. The wings are asked to do more and rotate higher vs most zones, we have a few traps we run out of it (not lately) and their are passing lanes the guys are expected to close down depending on where the ball rotates to, but c'mon, its a 2-3 zone. How can he not "know the defense." It appears to me that he actually plays pretty good defense. Vast majority of freshman learn switching, dealing with ball screens, playing the pick and roll, help defense, etc in man-to-man schemes, but our zone is so complex a kid who has been playing ball for years doesn't "know" it. Give me a break.

JB also took a shot at Rak and said feeding him the ball can't help team win and that he had his chances. Granted he is too up and down, but we are so inconsistent in looking for him. Coach said he doesn't look at statistics. Maybe he should take a look and see that Rak is shooting better than Rick Jackson did his jr and sr seasons. His offensive game looks improved to me this year on a team that is struggling to score, and yet he is getting about 20% less shots per minutes played than he did a year ago. FG% almost 10% higher year-over-year, amount we go to him down 20% year-over-year. Yep, that's on Rak.

"He doesn't know the defense"

With all due respect, the zone we run isn't rocket science. The wings are asked to do more and rotate higher vs most zones, we have a few traps we run out of it (not lately) and their are passing lanes the guys are expected to close down depending on where the ball rotates to, but c'mon, its a 2-3 zone. How can he not "know the defense." It appears to me that he actually plays pretty good defense. Vast majority of freshman learn switching, dealing with ball screens, playing the pick and roll, help defense, etc in man-to-man schemes, but our zone is so complex a kid who has been playing ball for years doesn't "know" it. Give me a break.

JB also took a shot at Rak and said feeding him the ball can't help team win and that he had his chances. Granted he is too up and down, but we are so inconsistent in looking for him. Coach said he doesn't look at statistics. Maybe he should take a look and see that Rak is shooting better than Rick Jackson did his jr and sr seasons. His offensive game looks improved to me this year on a team that is struggling to score, and yet he is getting about 20% less shots per minutes played than he did a year ago. FG% almost 10% higher year-over-year, amount we go to him down 20% year-over-year. Yep, that's on Rak.

Stop making sense.

If this is true (which I don't believe it is), then it's ALL on coaching. If, after 5 months, you can't teach a guy, and get him to understand at least a good portion of your offensive and defensive philosophies, then maybe it's time for you to hang it up. That's just a BS statement. What's his excuse for Baye, Rak, Cooney & G having little or no positive effect on last night's game? I thought Roberson was better than all of them, minus Rak. I thought Rak was good on the boards.
I don't think it's the philosophies that are the problem. It's understanding them and knowing where you need to be and what you need to be doing and actually doing those things that separates starters and reserves. That is what is so difficult with the 3/4/5 positions in JBs defense. They have the hardest roles defensively because the wings have to cover the 3 point line as well as the post. The guards only have to work the upper perimeter and cut off the dribble to the key. It's not necessarily any easier to do, but it's simpler.

Offensively, I have no idea what SU has been trying to do lately. The O has gone to since JG went down. It seems to me that going more up-tempo would be the solution to a lack of outside shooting/inside presence, but we don't have a deep enough rotation to do that.

I don't think it's the philosophies that are the problem. It's understanding them and knowing where you need to be and what you need to be doing and actually doing those things that separates starters and reserves. That is what is so difficult with the 3/4/5 positions in JBs defense. They have the hardest roles defensively because the wings have to cover the 3 point line as well as the post. The guards only have to work the upper perimeter and cut off the dribble to the key. It's not necessarily any easier to do, but it's simpler.

Offensively, I have no idea what SU has been trying to do lately. The O has gone to since JG went down. It seems to me that going more up-tempo would be the solution to a lack of outside shooting/inside presence, but we don't have a deep enough rotation to do that.

You make some great points. I pretty much agree with all of what you're saying. My beef is - what did BMK, Rak, Cooney & G do last night to escape Boeheim's wrath? It's not like they played A+ games and the reason we lost is because Roberson "isn't ready yet." That, to me, signals the coaches need to get it together and get him ready. We're talking about a top 30-40 national recruit and he's not ready after nearly 5 months of practice/games. I have a difficult time believing that to be true. I chalk it up to a typical JB rant after a tough to handle defeat, but I don't excuse him for singling out a kid like that. That needs to be handled privately, IMO.

You make some great points. I pretty much agree with all of what you're saying. My beef is - what did BMK, Rak, Cooney & G do last night to escape Boeheim's wrath? It's not like they played A+ games and the reason we lost is because Roberson "isn't ready yet." That, to me, signals the coaches need to get it together and get him ready. We're talking about a top 30-40 national recruit and he's not ready after nearly 5 months of practice/games. I have a difficult time believing that to be true. I chalk it up to a typical JB rant after a tough to handle defeat, but I don't excuse him for singling out a kid like that. That needs to be handled privately, IMO.
I don't disagree with this, at all. JB has a different style than a lot of people. I think he's extremely frustrated right now and he's gotten very snippish in his pressers. His system of a small rotation and good defense works great when we don't have attrition late in the season. When we do, he doesn't have enough answers because he has to go to players who haven't played enough minutes to be comfortable to the point of everything being second-nature. If I had to guess, I would say that JB is very frustrated that JG isn't ready to play.

Everyone has complained about Cooney when he hasn't played well

And last year when Cooney was throwing up bricks, I don't remember JB chastising him during a post-game presser. He didn't bury Cooney after he went 0-3 in 11 minutes during the Georgetown debacle last season. Because it wasn't Cooney's fault SU couldn't crack 40.

It's poor a showing by Boeheim. Tyler Roberson is waaaaaay down on the list of things on this team that need to improve.

Don't kid yourself. I recall JB being pretty brutal towards TC last years...my favorite was when he called him, "what's his name", as in "what's his name doesn't do anything for us".

I'm not the biggest JB fan in the world and am often critical of him. After watching the pressor I don't think what he said was offensive. I think he was honestly just saying that Roberson isn't mature enough yet to be helpful to this team

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom