So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

So, JB kinda threw Roberson under the bus apparently

This is a bold statement, but if Roberson got legit playing time he'd be this team's best player.

I believe that to be true.

Roberson has actual post moves, he drives to the rim under control, and I haven't seen Grant or Fair execute a pass like his dump-off to Ennis for the layup.

Roberson is clearly afraid to make a mistake. You can see it. Passes up shots. Very tentative. You can't play like that.

Agreed. Though I don't necessarily blame Boeheim for that. If that's his mentality...he's gotta fix that. You're starting for Syracuse, play ball!

No need for Boeheim to knock him. Just say he was put into a tough spot with Grant hurt, and played hard, and leave it at that.

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.
I love JB but he can be an egotistical dickhead sometimes.

Roberson is clearly afraid to make a mistake. You can see it. Passes up shots. Very tentative. You can't play like that.
must have been the pre-game pep talk that jimmie boy gave him

@Stephen_Bailey1: Boeheim said Roberson gives the team nothing: "He doesn't know the defense. He doesn't know the offense. He can't help us right now."

Are you kidding me, Jim? What a dick thing to say.

Is it true? Maybe. But don't freaking get THIS negative on a freshman out there giving it his all.

I've often wondered if this sort of harsh, open criticism is JB's way of motivating his players. Like a Herb Brooks tactic.

Out where? The kid is lost. I'm not justifying trashing the kid in post game but he's absolutely correct. This kids not helping this year. Where did he look very good to you?

That is B.S. If the kid is not helping this year, it is because JB chose at the beginning of the season to roll with 8 other guys and didn't invest the time in developing Roberson. At the time that may have been fine, but when DCII dropped it probably would have been wise to make an investment in Roberson given that Gbinije and Keita are nothing more than marginal role players.

I can see a kid being young and making more mistakes than a veteran, no problem. But if a kid of Roberson's talent can't be developed by game 30 into someone who can help a team that is as low as this one is right now, than the coaching staff needs to take a long hard look in the mirror because ...... really, there ain't anyone helping us that much right now.

Yes, he looked good out there. Good hustle, good movement. He was unselfish. The worst negative play he had was that silly step inbounds. What a great call! He really gained an advantage there!

There were a couple times when he seemed to get in the way on O, but it did not result in anything negative.

If JB blamed Roberson tonight, then I will lose a lot of respect for him. Roberson put up with his quick hook, doghouse BS all season, and put in a great effort tonight.

Good hustle, yes. Already said that, so obviously I agree there. Unselfish?? Ok...also looked scared with the ball though. Looking like you don't want the ball and not knowing what to do with it and passing it as soon as a pass is available is not really "unselfish". I reserve "unselfish" for players who can score a lot of points but still make the right passes.

No reason for Boeheim to knock him though. He played hard, and clearly has potential. He will gain experience and confidence and let his skills take over in the future.

I wonder how many individuals commenting on this thread, angry that JB would throw a freshman under the bus, are the same who praised JB for "standing up fo the team" by being thrown out in the Duke game...
For the record I was pissed at JB for that, too, especially his comments about the game being "over anyway" at that point.

Def all JB's fault. Not Robersons for being here a year and not knowing what he's doing? Do you think JB forgot to teach? Isn't coaching him? Decided to not coach him up and then throw him under the bus. Ridiculous. Honestly people. What he said publicly was unfair - but maybe he's tried everything else and it's not sticking?

Our whole team has played like that for 38 years.

TheCusian said:
Def all JB's fault. Not Robersons for being here a year and not knowing what he's doing? Do you think JB forgot to teach? Isn't coaching him? Decided to not coach him up and then throw him under the bus. Ridiculous. Honestly people. What he said publicly was unfair - but maybe he's tried everything else and it's not sticking?

Then why did they recruit him? They couldn't see this in high school? He was a high profile recruit.

Liking The Wire gets you an automatic like from me. I miss that show and seeing more mentions of it on here.

I can't even watch any new shows anymore because they all suck in comparison. Kind've similar to watching college hoops now. I try to enjoy it, but nobody is good compared to the actual really good teams that many of us were lucky enough to watch in the past.

I've often wondered if this sort of harsh, open criticism is JB's way of motivating his players. Like a Herb Brooks tactic.

I donlt know it hasn;t really worked with Rak over the past 3 years. Jim is just a dick. He has his favorites, and he has his whipping boys. Quite easy to tell who is who.

He looked better out there than Gbinije, Cooney or Keita.

And I'm not sure what offense he needs to learn.

I wonder how many individuals commenting on this thread, angry that JB would throw a freshman under the bus, are the same who praised JB for "standing up fo the team" by being thrown out in the Duke game...

How many who praised JB's Duke tirade are the same ones who used to say Marrone needs to " go nuts" on the sideline whenever his 2 star recruits weren't blowing the doors off the other team, but fighting like mad to try to grind out a win.

Personally, I like when the coaches don't act like the nutjobs in the stands(myself included).

Good hustle, yes. Already said that, so obviously I agree there. Unselfish?? Ok...also looked scared with the ball though. Looking like you don't want the ball and not knowing what to do with it and passing it as soon as a pass is available is not really "unselfish". I reserve "unselfish" for players who can score a lot of points but still make the right passes.

No reason for Boeheim to knock him though. He played hard, and clearly has potential. He will gain experience and confidence and let his skills take over in the future.

I think some people measure Keita and Roberson with different rulers. Even without considering context, he looked good tonight. He played his role.

If JB wanted Roberson to play loose on O, he should have sent that message earlier in the season. You don't teach someone to play loose by teaching them to play tight.

Of course it is...

that is certainly true, but I need to hear this quote in context and with tone of voice before I condemn it. this could easily be read as a "said in sorrow, not in anger" response to a question.
It was pretty matter of fact when asked how he thought TR did. Said we need to give more time to people who can help us win.

Again, nothing to do with work ethic. Berate the kid in private. Don't publicly admonish him like this. It's low class, if you ask me.

dont be a drama queen. what he said was hardly berating the kid.

and roberson didn't do sheet out there. invisible.

I think some people measure Keita and Roberson with different rulers. Even without considering context, he looked good tonight. He played his role.

If JB wanted Roberson to play loose on O, he should have sent that message earlier in the season. You don't teach someone to play loose by teaching them to play tight.

no way. who cares he hasn't played meaningful minutes since conference play started. nevermind his head is on a swivel waiting for the hook for any small miscue. he should have went out there ready and loose. forget rust or being scared to make a mistake.

unbelievable i really wonder what Jim expected?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom