So one loss and we're NIT bound? | Syracusefan.com

So one loss and we're NIT bound?

NYCSUGrad

All Conference
And some say not even that? Yes it was a bad loss. And I suspect we will lose today. Still, you act like the team won't improve. I think it will. It's a long season and we have too much talent not to.

And some say not even that? Yes it was a bad loss. And I suspect we will lose today. Still, you act like the team won't improve. I think it will. It's a long season and we have too much talent not to.

If you look at the prediction thread and the preseason talk a lot of posters here were calling this a bubble team. So with that in mind last nights performance has them thinking NIT which is not a drastic change in thought for many.

I had and have much higher expectations but lets be honest no matter how you thought the team would wind up this year as a fan last night was like taking one in the nuts over and over again. I still think we will improve and be a good team however.

Here's the thing. A mediocre to good team will not cut it in the new-look ACC. The league is absolutely stacked. Getting wins come conference play is going to be very very difficult if this team does not shape up.

I think the board has been really good today. Usually I can't stand it after losses but most people seem to be reasonable and some really good assessments. I'm a very positive person - probably more than I should be at times - but let's be honest, last night was tough to watch and showed some serious flaws.

I'd be optimistic if we put a new starting lineup out there today. Not very optimistic with the current one and our coaches reluctance to adjust.

It's one night but in that one night we saw:
-Kaleb not looking like a top 50 recruit.
-Cooney and Roberson not looking like they belong on the court.
-Rak not showing he can step up against decent talent.
-A team that needs to hit the weight room in the worst way and noone is going to get jacked over the course of the season so they'll just have to toughen up.

I am shocked at some of the posters, who are basically writing off the season and the team. Less shocked at others.

Here's the thing. A mediocre to good team will not cut it in the new-look ACC. The league is absolutely stacked. Getting wins come conference play is going to be very very difficult if this team does not shape up.
Exactly. Evem teams like BC and Miami look light years better than we do so far, not to mention what look like Auto-Losses to 4-Top 10 teams if we don't get much better.

I think the board has been really good today. Usually I can't stand it after losses but most people seem to be reasonable and some really good assessments. I'm a very positive person - probably more than I should be at times - but let's be honest, last time was tough to watch and showed some serious flaws.
I wish we copied Iowa's offensive system. They are a fun team to watch. With Iowa's offensive system and our zone defense it would be awesome.

If we showed any sense of a pulse offensively and lost the game to Cal I think the response would be we are young, but will improve. Our offense looked pathetic and basically said we will need to win games in the 50's. That means our margin for error defensively razor thin. This team could be an NCAA team, but it doesn't look even close right now.

In 2005-2006 GMAC's senior year we lost to Florida in MSG early, but we showed a pulse and that team was a bubble team till BET. We are not good right now.

If we showed any sense of a pulse offensively and lost the game to Cal I think the response would be we are young, but will improve. Our offense looked pathetic and basically said we will need to win games in the 50's. That means our margin for error defensively razor thin. This team could be an NCAA team, but it doesn't look even close right now.

In 2005-2006 GMAC's senior year we lost to Florida in MSG early, but we showed a pulse and that team was a bubble team till BET. We are not good right now.
The team imploded in the last few minutes of the first half, but was relatively competitive for the rest of the game despite playing sloppily, shooting poorly and with Christmas playing limited minutes due to foul trouble. I'm sure the coaching staff isn't getting ready to throw in the towel on 11/21.

We're not an ACC Top 4 team this season.

We're not a Bottom 4 team either.

We're in the middle. Right where the bubble is.

The team imploded in the last few minutes of the first half, but was relatively competitive for the rest of the game despite playing sloppily, shooting poorly and with Christmas playing limited minutes due to foul trouble. I'm sure the coaching staff isn't getting ready to throw in the towel on 11/21.
We were competitive because Cal couldn't shoot the ball either. They started 7 for 20 and we started 6 for 20. Once Cal started hitting shots were got our a$$ kicked. This team can't score.

I wish we copied Iowa's offensive system. They are a fun team to watch. With Iowa's offensive system and our zone defense it would be awesome.

Iowa has a great offensive system. So great that they shot WORSE than us last night.

I'd say we weren't even on the bubble by BET time in 2006... but we looked a lot better against the eventual national champion than we did last night against cal.

Iowa has a great offensive system. So great that they shot WORSE than us last night.
You obviously haven't watched Iowa play the last few years. Their offensive system is too play and fast and force teams to foul. They struggled against the #10 team in the country last night, but their system works they struggle defensively.

You obviously haven't watched Iowa play the last few years. Their offensive system is too play and fast and force teams to foul. They struggled against the #10 team in the country last night, but their system works they struggle defensively.

Right they got fouled and made the FT's in the first half and that was why they lead. Texas fouled less and challenged every shot in the paint in the second while also finding their offense and often doing what Iowa likes to do.

Right they got fouled and made the FT's in the first half and that was why they lead. Texas fouled less and challenged every shot in the paint in the second while also finding their offense and often doing what Iowa likes to do.
I respect your opinion, but Iowa plays an aggressive offensive system I am worried tonight they may foul out Rak, McC, Roberson out of this game.

I would take their offensive system over our Iso/pick&roll all day long.

I respect your opinion, but Iowa plays an aggressive offensive system I am worried tonight they may foul out Rak, McC, Roberson out of this game.

I would take their offensive system over our Iso/pick&roll all day long.

I was agreeing with you. Sorry for the miscommunication. I was saying that even shooting poorly in the first half last night against Texas, Iowa still drove aggressively, got to the line 10-12 times and made the FT's which was why they lead. In the second half Texas fouled less and contested more while Iowa continued to struggle with their shot. Texas then was the aggressor especially after making some early shots.

I wasn't discounting Iowa's offensive system just pointing out that even when they don't shoot well they managed to have the lead on a very talented Texas team at the half by using it.

I'm not saying we're NIT bound because of one game. But I am saying I think this team is in a precarious position because of the first THREE games. There have been some enormous weaknesses exposed in all three of our games so far, and it just happened that we were bigger and more talented in the first two so it was easier to gloss over them. When we play teams that have similar size/athleticism/talent, those flaws are going to be exposed - like they were last night.

The flaws have been there, and some of them aren't exactly things you can just snap your fingers and turn around (perimeter shooting, overall physical strength of the team, for starters). They're the kinds of flaws that you either need to just keep plugging away at improving outside of games, OR adapt the playing style to fit what you can and can't do.

we will improve but not enough.there is no half court offense and no shooting period. reliance on cooney is rediculous.he is playing way to many minutes ---no offense to him but he does not have it. he plays good defense, but we need points. i would sacrifice some defense from him for someone that can score. he is more of a liability playing that many minutes. definitely a nit team. i will be at the garden for the game today

I've watched Iowa play a lot. Last year they collapsed down the stretch worse than us. They didn't score over 65 in any of their last three games. The year before they shot 41% from the field and 30 percent from three. JB is going to continue to play his offensive system. It's point guard centric with simple, screens, and cuts that is suppose to but our players in the best position for them to make plays. We aren't going to run a lot of motion simply because JB thinks the wrong players end up with the ball in the wrong spots of the floor. And anyway, it really doesn't matter what system you run if you can't put the ball in the hoop.

Yep, prior to the implosion, G missed that uncontested slam that would've tied the game at 22. What seemed like just seconds later, we're down 34-20.

I anticipate Christmas to be in foul trouble all year, especially against the stiffer competition. He has a track record of poor judgment, hence, so many silly fouls...you'd think as a Senior, he would've made better strides by now in that regard.

I've watched Iowa play a lot. Last year they collapsed down the stretch worse than us. They didn't score over 65 in any of their last three games. The year before they shot 41% from the field and 30 percent from three. JB is going to continue to play his offensive system. It's point guard centric with simple, screens, and cuts that is suppose to but our players in the best position for them to make plays. We aren't going to run a lot of motion simply because JB thinks the wrong players end up with the ball in the wrong spots of the floor. And anyway, it really doesn't matter what system you run if you can't put the ball in the hoop.

You're right about Iowa's collapse. I also watch every game they are on tv. Between that and how we collapsed, I forgot what good basketball was supposed to look like. What a depressing February and March that was.

Iowa was my dark horse final four team last year. Pretty sweet pick.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom