So, we sit at 11-9 | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

So, we sit at 11-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
only thing that matters at this point is the acc tourny. we're not getting an at large bid. so whether we go 9-9 in the acc or 6-12 it doesnt really matter. we're not going 11-7, we'll need a miracle run in the acc tourny to go dancing so these games coming up are basically meaningless other than getting jb to 1000 wins and having a winning record overall.

Read the post carefully and see how the word "you" is frequently used rather than "we".

That says a lot.
Rich stuff coming from the guy who started the "i told you so, u were all wrong I was right and I am a better fan than you" thread after 2 wins.

I don't use the word "we" cus im not one of those losers who thinks because I yell at the tv for 2 hrs twice a week I'm on the team.

Sorry, if objective observation makes me a hater then fine, I'm a hater. A hater of watching the team I love be no good. I guess I could be a better fan like you and just sit idle until the next 2 game win streak and puff my chest out and say I'm smarter and better than everyone else, but then I'd just have to enter back into reality again after the team drops the following 4 of 5 in convincing fashion, and it's a lot easier to just acknowledge reality and embrace it from the jump.

Recipe:
take 1/8 bad attitude
add
1/8 lack of motivation
add
1/8 big man with bad wheels
add
1/4 pair of freshman
add
1/8 mercenary gunner from losing program
add
1/8 quick but undersized/overmatched pg from losing programs
add
1/8 All ACC forward playing as undersized center

bake at room temp for 31 games, get 14 wins

Twist the knife why don't you. Are you fan or hater troll?

The system allows teams to be poor for 4 months and figure it out in march and/or get a string of favorable matchups. Also, we just aren't recruiting well. The length and athleticism i witnessed in the zona and ucla game sat was astounding. We aren't getting that. Not even the guards.

The system allows teams to be poor for 4 months and figure it out in march and/or get a string of favorable matchups. Also, we just aren't recruiting well. The length and athleticism i witnessed in the zona and ucla game sat was astounding. We aren't getting that. Not even the guards.
we've had 3 underclassmen taken in the last 3 NBA drafts based solely on their length/atheticism (Grant, McCullough, Richardson). We've got long/athletic TT this year and at least three more coming in next year.

We are getting those athletes; the problem is Ennis left sooner than anticipated, we've misjudged consecutive point guards and missed on our target this year. I for one plan to wait and see how they close the recruiting cycle before I panic.

we've had 3 underclassmen taken in the last 3 NBA drafts based solely on their length/atheticism (Grant, McCullough, Richardson). We've got long/athletic TT this year and at least three more coming in next year.

We are getting those athletes; the problem is Ennis left sooner than anticipated, we've misjudged consecutive point guards and missed on our target this year. I for one plan to wait and see how they close the recruiting cycle before I panic.

All good points but the athletes i am talking about are big time. Arizona has 2 7 footers right now that play all of 15 feet. They are long and athletic , big time players. The pac 12 also has sick guards that will school the ACC. BTW, our latest draftees all have left early and are less than impressive in the league.

Please no more Ennis whining. As Francis mentioned in his last pod; we have had three recruiting classes now to get it right. We are still searching for a PG. Just someone to be competent! Gbinijie, bless his soul, had to be groomed as an emergency fill-in because things were so bad (JB was a visionary in this case) and he's a SG/SF. Us fans like to think we are on an elite level but we sure aren't recruiting and developing like that lately. Ish888 mentions Arizona. They lose players every year due to early entrees like Stanley Johnson, Rondae H-J, Brandon Ashley, to start. They keep on rolling. All these elite teams bring in new players and need them to execute a new scheme. I'm tired of the excuses.

Please no more Ennis whining. As Francis mentioned in his last pod; we have had three recruiting classes now to get it right. We are still searching for a PG. Just someone to be competent! Gbinijie, bless his soul, had to be groomed as an emergency fill-in because things were so bad (JB was a visionary in this case) and he's a SG/SF. Us fans like to think we are on an elite level but we sure aren't recruiting and developing like that lately. Ish888 mentions Arizona. They lose players every year due to early entrees like Stanley Johnson, Rondae H-J, Brandon Ashley, to start. They keep on rolling. All these elite teams bring in new players and need them to execute a new scheme. I'm tired of the excuses.

Jay Bilas talked last weekend about one of the problems we're having with the zone when Gillon plays: teams can pass right over him with no problem.

This highlights the recruiting stress the zone puts on our program in terms of guards. Height/length is a prerequisite for our guards. The problem is that there aren't many high school point guards that are 6'4" or taller with long arms (and developed ball skills). Kids with those physical attributes are often forwards or centers depending on the area and school district.

As a result, our coaches either need to find a combo guard that can handle the ball and run our ball-screen offense, or they have to re-shape forwards into point guards over a period of time.

Scoop was actually a pretty good zone defender given that he wasn't super tall or long, but he was another combo guard that developed (with a 5th year).

Scoop was actually a pretty good zone defender given that he wasn't super tall or long, but he was another combo guard that developed (with a 5th year).

I always thought that 6'3" with a 6'5" wingspan is plenty tall enough to play the top of the zone. Not quite MCW or Dion, but more than adequate.

Jay Bilas talked last weekend about one of the problems we're having with the zone when Gillon plays: teams can pass right over him with no problem.

This highlights the recruiting stress the zone puts on our program in terms of guards. Height/length is a prerequisite for our guards. The problem is that there aren't many high school point guards that are 6'4" or taller with long arms (and developed ball skills). Kids with those physical attributes are often forwards or centers depending on the area and school district.

As a result, our coaches either need to find a combo guard that can handle the ball and run our ball-screen offense, or they have to re-shape forwards into point guards over a period of time.

Agreed. I heard that take from Bilas, also. What's your impression then of the staff going all in on Quade Green who is probably 5'11. Was he such a dynamic playmaker/PG from a skillset standpoint that they went away from their recent measurables in terms of the longer/more rangy PGs?

Rich stuff coming from the guy who started the "i told you so, u were all wrong I was right and I am a better fan than you" thread after 2 wins.

I don't use the word "we" cus im not one of those losers who thinks because I yell at the tv for 2 hrs twice a week I'm on the team.

Sorry, if objective observation makes me a hater then fine, I'm a hater. A hater of watching the team I love be no good. I guess I could be a better fan like you and just sit idle until the next 2 game win streak and puff my chest out and say I'm smarter and better than everyone else, but then I'd just have to enter back into reality again after the team drops the following 4 of 5 in convincing fashion, and it's a lot easier to just acknowledge reality and embrace it from the jump.
If you weren't a newbie you might know I'm not a guy

:noidea:

I find it interesting how some get their feathers ruffled when fans reference "we." Many fans invest a lot of their time & money; cheering on TV, going to games, tournaments, travel, etc. If you're with a buddy or a group of friends headed up to the game, or some tavern or house party gathering to watch, I think it's pretty commonplace to say...hey man, we going to beat these guys tonight? Etc., etc. What's really the harm? In my opinion, if you really get bent by fans who love/are passionate about the team they root for with all their heart and soul, referencing the team as theirs, my or we...well, I'd say that says more about you than anything else.

All good points but the athletes i am talking about are big time. Arizona has 2 7 footers right now that play all of 15 feet. They are long and athletic , big time players. The pac 12 also has sick guards that will school the ACC. BTW, our latest draftees all have left early and are less than impressive in the league.
You do know the last time Arizona was in the Final Four was in 2001, right ?

Agreed. I heard that take from Bilas, also. What's your impression then of the staff going all in on Quade Green who is probably 5'11. Was he such a dynamic playmaker/PG from a skillset standpoint that they went away from their recent measurables in terms of the longer/more rangy PGs?

Francis may have a better answer than I on this. He follows recruiting far more than I do.

In my limited viewing of his film, he seems to have solid ball skills. He uses both hands. He seems to protect the ball well. He sees the floor; his eyes are always up offensively. He has a pull-up jumper, and he can use it at full speed, which is not easy. Many players at that age haven't developed that yet. He has a spin move into a step-back, fade-away jumper that, if he can hit it at the collegiate level, will be deadly. It is an NBA-level move.

I would like to find more film on how he uses screens, both ball screens and off-ball. Much of what he does seems to be in isolation, which may not fly at this level. However, Kentucky's offense seems suited for him--a mixture of ball screens and dribble-drive motion to allow him to keep the ball in his hands and make plays.

I think he needs muscle--he's frail. I did see a highlight where he took contact from a big and still converted a layup, though, so he may be stronger than his body appears. I wish our 6'8" PFs could finish like that through contact at times.

He also will need to work on his footwork, especially when the ball isn't in his hands.

That said, I think what you said would be the reason our staff was interested. I don't think he's as fast (though he looks to be a better shooter already), but he has a Jonny Flynn quality to him where his offense may make up at some level for his defensive liabilities in the zone.

Edit: I should add that all of the defensive film I saw on him was in man-to-man or press, but I imagine he would get lots of steals in the zone. However, he would be like Gillon in terms of the ease of passing over him, I bet.

Francis may have a better answer than I on this. He follows recruiting far more than I do.

In my limited viewing of his film, he seems to have solid ball skills. He uses both hands. He seems to protect the ball well. He sees the floor; his eyes are always up offensively. He has a pull-up jumper, and he can use it at full speed, which is not easy. Many players at that age haven't developed that yet. He has a spin move into a step-back, fade-away jumper that, if he can hit it at the collegiate level, will be deadly. It is an NBA-level move.

I would like to find more film on how he uses screens, both ball screens and off-ball. Much of what he does seems to be in isolation, which may not fly at this level. However, Kentucky's offense seems suited for him--a mixture of ball screens and dribble-drive motion to allow him to keep the ball in his hands and make plays.

I think he needs muscle--he's frail. I did see a highlight where he took contact from a big and still converted a layup, though, so he may be stronger than his body appears. I wish our 6'8" PFs could finish like that through contact at times.

He also will need to work on his footwork, especially when the ball isn't in his hands.

That said, I think what you said would be the reason our staff was interested. I don't think he's as fast (though he looks to be a better shooter already), but he has a Jonny Flynn quality to him where his offense may make up at some level for his defensive liabilities in the zone.

Edit: I should add that all of the defensive film I saw on him was in man-to-man or press, but I imagine he would get lots of steals in the zone. However, he would be like Gillon in terms of the ease of passing over him, I bet.

His potential prowess of using ball screens would've been nullified by coming here. ;)

I don't use the word "we" cus im not one of those losers who thinks because I yell at the tv for 2 hrs twice a week I'm on the team. .

What kind of loser are you then? Are you a loser who pretends to speak "objectively" with your opinions.

I wish my opinions were God's given truths. Unfortunately, all my opinions are "subjective".

I don't think I realized that Wake has an RPI of 23. For some reason I thought they were closer to like 75.

We have a golden opportunity to get two high-quality wins at home. Obviously FSU is going to be extremely difficult.

I don't think I realized that Wake has an RPI of 23. For some reason I thought they were closer to like 75.

We have a golden opportunity to get two high-quality wins at home. Obviously FSU is going to be extremely difficult.

does rpi really matter though at this point? we're not getting an at large bid. we need to win the acc tourny.

does rpi really matter though at this point? we're not getting an at large bid.

Honestly, probably not. But this is just how my mind works this time of year.

Honestly, probably not. But this is just how my mind works this time of year.

i get it. i guess getting to 10-8 isnt impossible, would the following results put us on the bubble? i just automatically have us winning every home game and stealing a road win at georgia tech

wake W
fsu W
at nc st L
virgina W
at clemson L
at pitt L
louisville W
at georgia tech W
duke W
at louisville L
georgia tech W

18-13, 10-8 acc

thats the absolute ceiling i could see, and that most likely aint good enough unless we make a deep acc tourny run.

i get it. i guess getting to 10-8 isnt impossible, would the following results put us on the bubble? i just automatically have us winning every home game and stealing a road win at georgia tech

wake W
fsu W
at nc st L
virgina W
at clemson L
at pitt L
louisville W
at georgia tech W
duke W
at louisville L
georgia tech W

18-13, 10-8 acc

thats the absolute ceiling i could see, and that most likely aint good enough unless we make a deep acc tourny run.

I guess my hope for the rest of the regular season is to put ourselves in a situation where we don't absolutely have to win the ACCT to get in. Perhaps just two wins does it. I'm realistic -- I give us about a 10-15% chance of getting to the tourney this year.

wake W
fsu W
at nc st L
virgina W
at clemson L
at pitt L
louisville W
at georgia tech W
duke W
at louisville L
georgia tech W

18-13, 10-8 acc

Ville, UVA, FSU, AND DUKE?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors