So, we sit at 11-9 | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

So, we sit at 11-9

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess my hope for the rest of the regular season is to put ourselves in a situation where we don't absolutely have to win the ACCT to get in. Perhaps just two wins does it. I'm realistic -- I give us about a 10-15% chance of getting to the tourney this year.

i think if we go 10-8 in acc and get to championship game of acc tourny we'd have a shot. anything less than 10-8 and we'd have to win acc tourny.

Please no more Ennis whining.
you have an odd definition of whining . . . just pointing out that our downturn coincides with a cascading PG problem that began with Ennis

Us fans like to think we are on an elite level but we sure aren't recruiting and developing like that lately.
Except for the misses at PG; yes we are. And even at the PG slot, we recruited well - Joseph and Howard were both universally well regarded recruits - they just didn't perform to the expected level.

I'm tired of the excuses.
I don't think it's an excuse, it's an attempt at analysis. And, IMHO, that's better than the entitled temper-tantrums that I'm reading daily this season.

you have an odd definition of whining . . . just pointing out that our downturn coincides with a cascading PG problem that began with Ennis

Except for the misses at PG; yes we are. And even at the PG slot, we recruited well - Joseph and Howard were both universally well regarded recruits - they just didn't perform to the expected level.

I don't think it's an excuse, it's an attempt at analysis. And, IMHO, that's better than the entitled temper-tantrums that I'm reading daily this season.

Howard did not play one iota of PG in high school so it's been a major work in progress there. That was a mistake. Yet another player recruited who isn't contributing and most likely won't be here next year. The development MUST be questioned however if you truly believe we are recruiting at an elite level. Class rankings are one thing but developing is another. I'll just pick Arizona and Louisville since they are 'peer' schools, IMO. Arizona especially. None of these programs have had subpar or average years the past three to five years or so in terms of whole body of work and consistent GOOD play on the court. Louisville would've made the tournament if not for the self-ban and would have done some damage most likely. They were implementing new players including 5th year transfers. They lost Terry Rozier, Montrezl Harrell, and the other Onuaku in recent years early to the draft. But, they are developing other players. Arizona. ALWAYS solid on the court with Miller. Let's look at who they have lost in recent years. Aaron Gordon, Nick Johnson, Stanley Johnson, Rondae Hollis-Jefferson, Solomon Hill, etc. All early entries since 2013. We're crying a river over Tyler Ennis and Grant? So what is the excuse? It's two possible answers and maybe both and probably the closest to reality, imo. We AREN'T recruiting at those levels and AREN'T developing the majority of our recruited players the past 3-4 classes. I mean it's sort of Captain Obvious speak by now. But, for whatever reasons, the staff and coach cannot be at fault for any of this with certain factions of the fanbase.

Last edited:

Eh not really. We have like a borderline top 60 recruiting class currently coming in. Last year it was barely top 20. the mccolough year was in the 30's. Even the top 10 class 2 years ago I think was that high with diallo included, altho I may be wrong. The other recent top 10 class included 3 guys who transferred, Ennis, and Robey, who while I wouldn't say "haven't developed", is maybe the single most confusing player I've ever watched play.

"Elite" is in the eye of the beholder but even the 2 top 10 classes in recent memory were not my definition of that. Keep in mind that the top 2-3...4 maybe classes every year now are so far and away above the rest that you can't simple say "we had the 8th best class so it must be a great one". Personally I don't think anyone outside that top group is pulling elite classes right now because 75% of the 5 star kids go to some mix of 4 schools. And cuse haven't been one of those.

The biggest issue imo has been the unfortunate middleground cuse has found between teams who win with stud frosh 1 and dones and teams who win with lesser talented kids who stick around 3-4 years. I recall watching the wiscy/uk final 4 game cple years ago and thinking these are the 2 ways to win right now in college hoops. Stud surefire pro frosh, or a group of good solid players who stick Around. Meanwhile cuse is stuck in the middle with guys like chris McCullough who left that year. Obviously this is a generalization and not an end all be all, and a good mix can be great. Also there's no real solution to it as a lot of luck is involved. Not in anyway suggesting they stop recruiting the best. Just an observation

Last edited:
Eh not really. We have like a borderline top 60 recruiting class currently coming in. Last year it was barely top 20. the mccolough year was in the 30's. Even the top 10 class 2 years ago I think was that high with diallo included, altho I may be wrong. The other recent top 10 class included 3 guys who transferred, Ennis, and Robey, who while I wouldn't say "haven't developed", is maybe the single most confusing player I've ever watched play.

"Elite" is in the eye of the beholder but even the 2 top 10 classes in recent memory were not my definition of that. Keep in mind that the top 2-3...4 maybe classes every year now are so far and away above the rest that you can't simple say "we had the 8th best class so it must be a great one". Personally I don't think anyone outside that top group is pulling elite classes right now because 75% of the 5 star kids go to some mix of 4 schools. And cuse haven't been one of those.

The biggest issue imo has been the unfortunate middleground cuse has found between teams who win with stud frosh 1 and dones and teams who win with lesser talented kids who stick around 3-4 years. I recall watching the wiscy/uk final 4 game cple years ago and thinking these are the 2 ways to win right now in college hoops. Stud surefire pro frosh, or a group of good solid players who stick Around. Meanwhile cuse is stuck in the middle with guys like chris McCullough who left that year. Obviously this is a generalization and not an end all be all, and a good mix can be great. Also there's no real solution to it as a lot of luck is involved. Not in anyway suggesting they stop recruiting the best. Just an observation

Win right now meaning the last two out of three NCAA tournaments? Maybe.

But here's Wisconsin's record in the NCAAs. Look at the historic number of final four appearances, championship game appearances and titles please.

NCAA Basketball Tournament History: Wisconsin Badgers - ESPN

Now here is Syracuse's NCAA records. In fact the whole Wikipedia entry for Syracuse basketball. You tell me whether Wisconsin or SU has the better historical tournament record.

Syracuse Orange men's basketball - Wikipedia

But here's Wisconsin's record in the NCAAs. Look at the historic number of final four appearances, championship game appearances and titles please.

Now here is Syracuse's NCAA records. In fact the whole Wikipedia entry for Syracuse basketball. You tell me whether Wisconsin or SU has the better historical tournament record.

And uconn had 4 titles.

Who cares? What does that have to do with tomorrow or the next season?

lol what? I wasnt saying wiscy is the gold standard for college basketball. I was using one game from 2 years ago as an example of teams achieving success with roster construction on 2 different ends of the spectrum.

Also we are talking about present times, so idk what copying and pasting team history wikipedia pages has anything to do with anything. When i click those links you so convienelty provided what jumps out to me is the fact over the past 4 seasons (3 previous then this year) Cuse is 76-42 with a FF and a missed tourney, with a likely NIT on the horizon, while Wiscy is 108-28 with 2 FFs, a National titla game, and a sweet 16, with a 2-3 seed likely this season. But frankly, the point I was making was about that specific team that season, not the program as a whole. I could just as easily use any of the other 3 FF teams from last year. I just thought the contrast in that particular game going against a stud frosh squad in UK, and during this stretch where it feels like cuse loses a lot of underclassmen who could just as easily come back, it stood out.

Somehow you managed to acknoledged the fact that i said "right now" in your first sentence then proceded to argue against some entirely different point that is nowhere in anything i said. Clearly desperate for an argument.

lol what? I wasnt saying wiscy is the gold standard for college basketball. I was using one game from 2 years ago as an example of teams achieving success with roster construction on 2 different ends of the spectrum.

Also we are talking about present times, so idk what copying and pasting team history wikipedia pages has anything to do with anything. When i click those links you so convienelty provided what jumps out to me is the fact over the past 4 seasons (3 previous then this year) Cuse is 76-42 with a FF and a missed tourney, with a likely NIT on the horizon, while Wiscy is 108-28 with 2 FFs, a National titla game, and a sweet 16, with a 2-3 seed likely this season. But frankly, the point I was making was about that specific team that season, not the program as a whole. I could just as easily use any of the other 3 FF teams from last year. I just thought the contrast in that particular game going against a stud frosh squad in UK, and during this stretch where it feels like cuse loses a lot of underclassmen who could just as easily come back, it stood out.

Somehow you managed to acknoledged the fact that i said "right now" in your first sentence then proceded to argue against some entirely different point that is nowhere in anything i said. Clearly desperate for an argument.

And YOU clearly missed from the SU page that the season BEFORE this one and the past three; i.e. 2012-2013; SU HAD a FF appearance.

In Atlanta.

Which I attended.

Did you?

I think not, or you would remember. It's a bucket list worthy item even if your team loses the first night.

2013 NCAA Men's Division I Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia

Popcorn and soda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online