so who gave up on them at 0-4? | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

so who gave up on them at 0-4?

Unfortunately, I haven't had enough time to watch many of their games, and on the flip side I never gave up but it was easier because I wasn't watching every game. What I have seen so far has mostly been fun to watch. I like it when expectations are low, and I think JB has done some of his best work when many people give his teams little chance for success. Having said that, this SU team still has a long way to go. It could go either way at this point, but I see a lot of potential for success down the stretch. Go Cuse!!

Then give us Tyler ennis, Jeremy grant, Chris mccollough, etc. We'd be pretty damn good.

Yeah, except Duke and Kentucky would be that much better if they still had all their players who left early too.

I think I might have said something like if we didn't win the Bc game, we could go 0 for the acc. Very happy to eat crow.

Quite a few of us were saying theyll be lucky to win 6 or 7 acc games. I know after the clemson game i just about gave up, i felt like that was a game we had to have to be a tournament team.

I gave up on them before the season started. Then they won Atlantis and I thought maybe they had a shot. And then Coach Hop lost a bunch games and I thought there's no way it can just be the coach. But then JB took over again and they won 8 of the last 9.

Now I don't know what to think! If we beat Louisville or Pitt then I will really be confused! I'm hopeful for this team but this team definitely has weaknesses. However, this team has a way of stepping up big during big games. I think this has a lot to do with TR's mentality. He's hard to figure out. I think this teams success in the NCAA tournament will hinge on Lydon making shots and playing good defense. They have a chance to be great!

I gave up on them before the season started. Then they won Atlantis and I thought maybe they had a shot. And then Coach Hop lost a bunch games and I thought there's no way it can just be the coach. But then JB took over again and they won 8 of the last 9.

Now I don't know what to think! If we beat Louisville or Pitt then I will really be confused! I'm hopeful for this team but this team definitely has weaknesses. However, this team has a way of stepping up big during big games. I think this has a lot to do with TR's mentality. He's hard to figure out. I think this teams success in the NCAA tournament will hinge on Lydon making shots and playing good defense. They have a chance to be great!

Had to laugh in JB's press conference reply to the emotional high when DC started out the 2nd half making plays, and he said that there are guys on the team with no emotions - obviously speaking of TR. He's a tough kid to figure out, so athletic but seems so "remote" . He can be so invisible during long stretches. He seems to have just scratched the top of his actual potential. He has had so much upside for so long that we ignore his potential when talking about the future and individual player development. Hoping that like Rak, he somehow puts it all together - soon.

I don't buy into the Jimmy B effect vs. Hop. It's like a least a few of you are throwing Hop under the bus. Of course, JB as head coach and all his experience makes a big difference! But they didn't lose earlier in season when Hop was HC just because Hop was HC. If anything you'd think they would play harder for the interim guy who cares so much for his players. Hop's decision making overall has to parallel JB's being in the system so long, albeit of course is different at times. I think the team has just taken time to gel this season and understand roles, and DC's late emergence has played a part in this too.

Look at the schedule when Hop was top dog. Other than the SJU loss which was definitely bad, they lost at Gtown, and later 3 consecutive losses at Pitt, at Miami, and home vs. Clemson by 1 (all tough teams). I give Hop credit for what he did, and am confident with him at the helm permanently in the near future. I know most of you are too. Go Cuse!

I gave up on them before the season started.
That's the most amazing thing you've ever posted. I gave it a Like.

OK, while I certainly wasn't thrilled about SU's chances during its slump, I'm a general optimist and I just watched games for the love of SU basketball, win or lose. It's a commitment. I rejected the harsh negativity expressed by a few/some about this being a really bad team historically, instead wanting to reserve judgment til the end of the season. And now they are playing well so general board optimism has returned, although they face some tough tests from here on out. Even if they are far from an elite or even very good team, it doesn't take such to win the NC, which is what matters. Just ask NC State and Villanova about that from years ago for those old enough to remember. Look at UConn's (yuck) recent lucky run to the title. And there's been Cinderella's who have made long runs. Cuse certainly has that potential if they play very well. Then again, they could flounder the rest of this season. Either way, I'll stay committed and enjoy the team, then look forward to next year. You guys will too.

Had to laugh in JB's press conference reply to the emotional high when DC started out the 2nd half making plays, and he said that there are guys on the team with no emotions - obviously speaking of TR. He's a tough kid to figure out, so athletic but seems so "remote" . He can be so invisible during long stretches. He seems to have just scratched the top of his actual potential. He has had so much upside for so long that we ignore his potential when talking about the future and individual player development. Hoping that like Rak, he somehow puts it all together - soon.
I think he pretty much has. Not that his numbers might not get better but he's been really important to the team, especially in rebounding, which is arguably the big difference in winning the past number of games. You shouldn't get on a kid for his demeanor unless he's being a jerk or otherwise detrimental to the team, which TR has not.

I think he pretty much has. Not that his numbers might not get better but he's been really important to the team, especially in rebounding, which is arguably the big difference in winning the past number of games. You shouldn't get on a kid for his demeanor unless he's being a jerk or otherwise detrimental to the team, which TR has not.

I don't care about demeanor at all. We've had plenty of quiet kids - I think you misinterpreted my post. Did anyone see this dunk?

This is a young man with amazing athleticism who isn't really assertive and can play pretty passively. I love the way he rebounds but I also think he's only shown glimpses of what he's capable of too. I've seen games where he's an absolute animal on the glass - showing phenomenal focus. I guess I'm more impressed with his potential than others. I may be wrong and he is playing to limited capabilities as a role player who's a very good rebounder and unselfish passer. I'm not trying to be negative , I guess you think I'm too optimistic of his potential. You may be right.

That's the most amazing thing you've ever posted. I gave it a Like.

Look, every time I see the Orange play I think they have a chance to win. Every time they lose I bleed Orange. At the beginning of the season this team just had so many questions. Take G and TC playing defense at the top of the zone. This year they are just as good as Scoop and Triche or any other great defensive teams. They are both playing much better defense together than last year. I really like the way they are playing now!

I don't buy into the Jimmy B effect vs. Hop. It's like a least a few of you are throwing Hop under the bus. Of course, JB as head coach and all his experience makes a big difference! But they didn't lose earlier in season when Hop was HC just because Hop was HC. If anything you'd think they would play harder for the interim guy who cares so much for his players. Hop's decision making overall has to parallel JB's being in the system so long, albeit of course is different at times. I think the team has just taken time to gel this season and understand roles, and DC's late emergence has played a part in this too.
Look at the schedule when Hop was top dog. Other than the SJU loss which was definitely bad, they lost at Gtown, and later 3 consecutive losses at Pitt, at Miami, and home vs. Clemson by 1 (all tough teams). I give Hop credit for what he did, and am confident with him at the helm permanently in the near future. I know most of you are too. Go Cuse!

I'm not throwing Hop under the bus per se. Besides, it doesn't matter because last summer he signed a contract to be our next head no matter what. There was one game they were tied or up by 1 point and the other team went on a 8-0 run and the Orange lost the game. I kept thinking Hop should have called timeout after they were losing by 3. Points were tough to come by and our team was gassed. I don't know why he did not call timeout. The same thing happened on the next game. He just let the games get away from him. He's got to know when to call time out. That's basic coaching and absolute must to have at D1 level. So I'm mixed about Hop taking over the reigns but he's the man.

I don't know that giving up is the right term, but I definitely thought we would struggle to get to .500.

I'm not throwing Hop under the bus per se. Besides, it doesn't matter because last summer he signed a contract to be our next head no matter what. There was one game they were tied or up by 1 point and the other team went on a 8-0 run and the Orange lost the game. I kept thinking Hop should have called timeout after they were losing by 3. Points were tough to come by and our team was gassed. I don't know why he did not call timeout. The same thing happened on the next game. He just let the games get away from him. He's got to know when to call time out. That's basic coaching and absolute must to have at D1 level. So I'm mixed about Hop taking over the reigns but he's the man.
First off, not calling you or anyone out. As for the timeout thing, maybe so, maybe not. IDK. I just figure let the coaches coach. Most of the time, they know a hell of a lot more than we do about what's going on and what's best to do in a situation, although they do make mistakes too. It's easy for us to armchair coach or ref, we've all done it.

I'm such a direct have fan - I'm disgusted with myself - I watch every game - I live in Miami - I fly to games every year - I literally did not go to the game in Miami cuz I gave up on the team - I don't deserve this run - I will never let these guys down again - going to NC St and the conference tournament

I didn't. As a fan it's frustrating to see other fans give up so quick. People gave up on the team in 2013 too. Not sure why we do this quite a bit.

I didn't give up. I was more factual of what could be with this team then looking at the data. I think we all did a wonderful job really analyzing what were the main factors in our losses and managed to stop any meltdown at any point this season.

1. no 3rd 4th option to start acc play I figured that would change. now we have as many as 6 any given night.
2.Gbinije just starting to drive. (shooting slump because he devoted all the time to driving "my guess").
3. Three of our first 4 games were brutal tests.
4.. Even losing those games we were starting to get more fg attempts then our opponents some nights. We never got that before acc play.

Just saw alot of room for in season change. I am a stickler for guys that cant get better especially offensively during the season, last year I felt that kaleb and roberson would not get there. ron i thought might bj suprised me some. This year I saw something different I guess. Just glad it wasn't to little to late.

Congrats to the boys. They are not only practicing hard but executing hard as well. Great Job!

Last edited:
Good or bad, I never get why fans make definitive statements about teams in December. This is basketball, not football. One game doesn't mean as much.

In December everyone thought Michigan State was the best team in the country "by far". They are eighth in the Big 10 right now. Wisconsin was terrible, now they are 8-4 in the big 10. We were terrible and now we have won 7 out of 8.

A lot of definitive statements said in December end up being false, and I'd rather lose a game then, than during this point of the season.

Even when we are bad by our standards, I expect us to make it in the tourney. Just because I never count out JB or a group of highly touted players. We have too much talent and too much prowess on the sideline for me to ever believe we are done.

Good or bad, I never get why fans make definitive statements about teams in December. This is basketball, not football. One game doesn't mean as much.

In December everyone thought Michigan State was the best team in the country "by far". They are eighth in the Big 10 right now. Wisconsin was terrible, now they are 8-4 in the big 10. We were terrible and now we have won 7 out of 8.

A lot of definitive statements said in December end up being false, and I'd rather lose a game then, than during this point of the season.
College basketball is made for teams who develop throughout the season to flourish down the stretch. So I agree with your take 100%. Every post game press conference, JB states it is about getting better, not necessarily the results. We see the improvement with this team and right now we are in a good spot. We have improved our rebounding, defense, and our shot selection, which I think we overlook. Early in the season it was 3 after 3. Lately, we have been attacking the rim and it has made a huge difference.

We have many here (across the spectrum from pessimism to optimism) who like to post in absolutes. For me, these posters provide a great deal of entertainment and some incredible unintentional comedy. You all know who you are. Or maybe you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom