So... Who is our fourth guard? | Syracusefan.com

So... Who is our fourth guard?

NYCorange

2nd String
Now that Mal is REALLY looking gone who gets our 4th guard minutes if/when we need those minutes? I fully assume that frank, Gillon, and Battle will get 99% of the aailable minutes but what happens when there's foul trouble, or God forbid an injury? Who gets the situational minutes at the top of the zone?

My money would be on Moyer, although that would hamstring our offensive probably. He's got the lateral quickness to squeak by in a pinch up top. Is there anyone else who could do it? Or roster seems to be full of 4s and 5s, do we have a true 3(I think Moyer's maybe a tweeter, who fits better at the 4 long term).

Now that Mal is REALLY looking gone who gets our 4th guard minutes if/when we need those minutes? I fully assume that frank, Gillon, and Battle will get 99% of the aailable minutes but what happens when there's foul trouble, or God forbid an injury? Who gets the situational minutes at the top of the zone?

My money would be on Moyer, although that would hamstring our offensive probably. He's got the lateral quickness to squeak by in a pinch up top. Is there anyone else who could do it? Or roster seems to be full of 4s and 5s, do we have a true 3(I think Moyer's maybe a tweeter, who fits better at the 4 long term).

Moyer will not play guard.

Newhouser said:
We only used 3 last year.

You're right.

But if someone gets injured and is out for a length of time, both guards are playing 40 minutes a game.

That's a good assumption, since they're the only 3 guards on the roster currently.

I'm considered about the injury possibility, as well. But barring that, I think we'll be fine with a three-player backcourt rotation.

I wonder if there is a JUCO combo out there that we could bring in for practice / emergency depth, a la Kristoff Onganet.

WE will play 3 guards and be more than fine. If you honestly think a walk on will be playing guard, you all have lost your minds!!!!

WE will play 3 guards and be more than fine. If you honestly think a walk on will be playing guard, you all have lost your minds!!!!

Where does the scoring come from?

We only used 3 last every year.
Fixed.

Boeheim uses a three-guard rotation. Always has, always will. Next season it will be Howard, Battle, and Gillon. If someone gets injured like the 2007-08 season (not one but two guards tore an ACL), then them's the breaks.

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/5/12/11660892/syracuse-basketball-malachi-richardson-draft-combine

"By skipping this segment of the combine, it may be an indicator that Malachi believes he is a first-rounder, lessening the chances that he returns to Syracuse next season.

Richardson's AAU coach, Rob Brown, told Waters that Malachi is interviewing with 13 teams at the combine, the maximum allowed for players. Brown also said that Malachi has gone through a couple workouts with NBA teams and expects to have more after the combine. By the end of those workouts, he said, "his situation should be a little more clear".

I get it that "Mal is REALLY looking gone" but after reading this article I was thinking how Mal would do working out with NBA teams and existing NBA players. I hope he plays like he did against Malcolm Brogdon but part of me still remembers the regular season. Mal has been terrific for us but playing against NBA caliber talent will be interesting. But then again, the NBA drafts kids on their potential not just their historical play.

It's not just the NBA that does this "potential" thing. A lot times I will "like" what you blokes post just on the "potential" of what you were saying might be worthwhile.

Last edited:
I guess I have zero confidence Yurt gets cleared, but hey crazier things have happened.

As long as he can "prove he and his family never took any money out of the bank account" he will be fine. There's a statement that always gives you a warm feeling about someone.

Fixed.

Boeheim uses a three-guard rotation. Always has, always will. Next season it will be Howard, Battle, and Gillon. If someone gets injured like the 2007-08 season (not one but two guards tore an ACL), then them's the breaks.

That's generally true, but it doesn't mean that it is desirable to only have 3 guards on the roster--both from a depth and an insurance policy against injuries perspective. Having four and choosing to use three is a totally different situation than only having three, all of whom have to play.

Lydon.

Battle/Lydon/Moyer/T-Rob/.5 of our 2-headed center