Soccer folks: Does anyone know anything about the | Syracusefan.com

Soccer folks: Does anyone know anything about the

Capt. Tuttle

Living Legend
Marbella United FC. It is a soccer academy in Spain. My son was just offered a spot, but it is very expensive, even with the scholarships they are offering.

This is kind of interesting. Primarily because of how much youth soccer academies are in the news right now.

My first thought when I read your post was that it is completely against FIFA rules for any team outside of the United States to offer you son a spot in their academy (I am assuming your son is under 18 years old). It's actually becoming a very serious issue in the soccer world. Unless you live very close to an international border and the youth is going to a club very close on the other side of that same international border, it is against FIFA rules to transfer to that club, even if it is a lower division club like Marbella United.

For your reference, Marbella united plays in the seventh division of Spain. Essentially, your son (again, I am assuming he is a youth) would be playing for the equivalent of a reserve team for a low single-A baseball team. I don't know if the clubs sends out invites to a ton of players to make money in its academy or if your son is a special talent, but seventh-level professional players (if he makes the senior team) only get a few hundred bucks a week. He'll be better off enjoying living with his family, playing club/varsity soccer with his local US teams and hoping to get an NCAA scholarship to parlay into a common career with his college degree.

Granted, these are higher profile clubs, but here are a few cautionary tales:

http://www.espnfc.us/mexican-liga-m...clubs-wary-of-fifa-rule-in-signing-us-players

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/08/s...merican-soccer-prospect-leaves-barcelona.html

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom