Some data to chew on | Syracusefan.com

Some data to chew on

GoSU96

Living Legend
The attached isn't meant to be a comment on any coaches vs any other, but to show the progression of the program over the last four years and where its starting off point is this year.

Will the offense be as explosive and productive as last year, maybe not, but I don't think that it's a given that it won't be or even more.

There are lot of kids on the two deep that have contributed to the development of the program. Mackey, Hickey, Trudo were key parts. Smith, Gulley, Wales, and West were there every step of the way last year and made big plays and were productive in every game. Broyld, Kobena and Clark had their moments. Robinson had a big role in fixing the redzone issues. AAM came on late, even if he might be taking a redshirt. Loeb, Kinder, and Hunt have been in the program, 5, 4, and 3 years respectively and have received excellent coaching. Allen comes from one of the best programs in the country and brings some big time talent and has also had the benefit of top notch coaching.

The new guys to the two deep like Morris, Mcfarlane, Parris, AC, and Funderburk bring size and speed and talent to the offense that is better than what left, even if they lack the experience.

The offense is not starting over from ground zero. There has been an enormous improvement in the program, and I expect the level of performance to be closer to last year than prior years.

Attachments

• 2000-2012 Offensive Performance.pdf
    41.4 KB · Views: 164
I remember coach P's offense being so stagnant in the end but I'll have to say on paper, his production looks
astronomical compared to grobbers era.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Not viewable on iPad.

HCSS: "Stats are for losers"

Let's see what this team does on the field and the hell with what the stat sheet says or predicts!

Thanks GoSU96. This supports my belief that the offense is not the albatross it was a few years ago. Under P we went to the tOSU/B1G historical game plan of 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Now we seek to keep defenses guessing and larger chunks of real estate as well as many more plays per game.

I am optimistic that Syracuse goes bowling. I would not be surprised if this crew wins 9 games total, but we should be above .500 when the bowl season ends.

The attached isn't meant to be a comment on any coaches vs any other, but to show the progression of the program over the last four years and where its starting off point is this year.

Will the offense be as explosive and productive as last year, maybe not, but I don't think that it's a given that it won't be or even more.

There are lot of kids on the two deep that have contributed to the development of the program. Mackey, Hickey, Trudo were key parts. Smith, Gulley, Wales, and West were there every step of the way last year and made big plays and were productive in every game. Broyld, Kobena and Clark had their moments. Robinson had a big role in fixing the redzone issues. AAM came on late, even if he might be taking a redshirt. Loeb, Kinder, and Hunt have been in the program, 5, 4, and 3 years respectively and have received excellent coaching. Allen comes from one of the best programs in the country and brings some big time talent and has also had the benefit of top notch coaching.

The new guys to the two deep like Morris, Mcfarlane, Parris, AC, and Funderburk bring size and speed and talent to the offense that is better than what left, even if they lack the experience.

The offense is not starting over from ground zero. There has been an enormous improvement in the program, and I expect the level of performance to be closer to last year than prior years.
I hope so. The Big East overall seemed to have a lot of teams that were strong defensively and weak offensively. Not sure if this reflects more on the relative strength of Big East defenses or indicates that Big East offenses were really bad. Maybe a bit of both.

But the stats for the ACC are skewed the other way...the teams are more offensive oriented, that is where their best numbers are overall. Again, not sure if this means that overall, ACC offenses are legitimately very good or if it is more a testament to just how weak the ACC defenses have been.

The performance of Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC should make this a lot clearer.

But if you believe stats from previous years, the SU offense might do better than expected and the defense might struggle more than expected.

I picture more teams like Cincy in the ACC talent wise for some reason. Very good offensively but a bit of a mystery on defense.

I hope so. The Big East overall seemed to have a lot of teams that were strong defensively and weak offensively. Not sure if this reflects more on the relative strength of Big East defenses or indicates that Big East offenses were really bad. Maybe a bit of both.

But the stats for the ACC are skewed the other way...the teams are more offensive oriented, that is where their best numbers are overall. Again, not sure if this means that overall, ACC offenses are legitimately very good or if it is more a testament to just how weak the ACC defenses have been.

The performance of Syracuse and Pitt in the ACC should make this a lot clearer.

But if you believe stats from previous years, the SU offense might do better than expected and the defense might struggle more than expected.

Good post, boss.

Last season was like a breath of fresh air. That's what a college offense can, and I'd argue, should look like. I think the change in mentality made a world of difference. If we maintain that mindset over the coaching change I think the pieces are there to continue the trend, but I have no expectation that we'll throw the ball as much as last season.

Go, how does it come out looking if you lump together the last four years like the other two time periods are aggregated? I'm curious just how much last season brought up the averages.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom