Some long-winded thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Some long-winded thoughts...

Rocco

Watching you.
First off, I've been off the board for the most part since the Nova game. I simply could not handle it. I've been tied up with work and have missed my SU football fix, so I've been reading through the threads for the last hour or so. Some good stuff being tossed around, so I figured I'd add a few lingering thoughts I have thus far.

1. I think it is absolute horseshitt that PSU had their bans lifted, especially on the scholarship end. For what occurred on that campus and then the cover-ups that followed are simply not deserving of any sort of leniencies. That single-handedly cost us the commitment of Daiquan Kelly, who would've been a great fit in this defense. Kelly always said that if PSU offered, he would have to rethink things, but What. Scholly ban lifted, Kelly gets an offer and decommits. I couldn't win watching that PSU/Rutty game, I loathe both schools and fan bases (did make me giggle that Rutty lost at the end at home in front of the Snooky-ites). Kick rocks NCAA, way to baffle everyone again. You too, Kirk Herbstreit for sticking up for them. Clown.

2. The staff had to be incredibly embarrassed after the Nova fiasco, as they should have been. The only thing that could've gone worse was if that poor Nova kicker didn't miss the chip shot. Pretty much everything went wrong in that game. Hunt messed up, McD was a joke, Bullough was a joke, the DE's broke contain every effeing play, and lastly, Shafer was a joke for overseeing the whole ordeal. The Dome was packed (I wasn't there, thankfully or I would've stroked out) and we really needed to come out with a bang, especially with getting a fresh start with all of the freshmen class filling the student section up. The exact opposite happened. Nova is a very good FCS football program, but we should've won that game running away. Rumor has it that ticket sales for Maryland look bleak, so the team will be back to playing in front of a 30-35k actual crowd. Not very good for visiting recruits or the confidence of players.

3. Dear bubble screen: get lost. I understand that McD wants to be TAMU or Oregon, but this roster cannot fulfill the personnel requirements to run that type of offense RIGHT NOW. Every here and now, fine. But not 15-20 times/game. And if you are going to call in a bubble, jailbreak or comeback screen, please only use Broyld, Estime or Philips. Get our playmakers in space.

4. Erv Philips, welcome to Syracuse. I know people can't say enough good things about him, but wow. I got the goosebumps watching him in that one series. The kid is a smooth runner with top-end burst and speed. His biggest issue is that he is so damn skinny. One big pop and he could be down for the count. At the very least, he should be getting 15 touches/game. In my book, he is already #1 amongst the rb's. It will remain a RB-by committee approach the rest of the year IMO, but I guarantee we will see alot more of #14 moving forward. He may not understand blitz protection and other things, but he does not need to right now. When he is on the field, it should be for moving the ball downfield only. Swervin Ervin has only given us limited glimpses, but they were enough to see how good that kid could be for us. Kudos to the staff for finding him.

5. Proud of Hunt. He made a big mistake in game 1 and also got heated at times against CMU, but he held it together and led our offense to 31 points. I like his ability to gain yards when a play breaks down as well as on his designed keepers. He doesn't have a great arm, but he can make any of the throws this offense will need him to make. We really need him to keep progressing as he controls our destiny this year. I'm bullish on him.

6. We need to get Custis in space and throw to him on seam routes. He's not being used correctly on bubble screens. He lacks great burst, which is mandatory if you need to make corners miss you on the outside. He's been wide open the few times I've seen him downfield and is a matchup nightmare for an OLB or even a safety. I'm hoping we see a ball thrown his way this week 20 or 30 yards downfield.

7. Really like what Ishmael brings to the table. He will only improve as he gets more reps, but has shown his ability to block, run good routes and possess great mitts. That catch in traffic when he was flanked by 3 CMU db's was impressive. Was also a great thread by Hunt.

8. Our line play on both sides of the ball improved greatly against CMU. I am still worried and hope to see the improved play this weekend. With a forceful D-line, we are screwed against BC, Pitt and every other team that runs a power offense. Impressed with Foy and Palmer.

9. Loved the uniforms, even though we looked like a version of the Texas Longhorns. We have no control over it, so we may as well embrace them as they aren't changing back anytime soon IMO.

I love this football program more than any other sports team. My whole week's tone is set based on what happened with SU football over the weekend. It's pathetic, but that's what it is. I, along with all of you junkies, want to see Syracuse be on the national stage again. We're 2-0 and that's really all that matters at this point. One game at a time. Next up, Randy Edsall and the Maryland Tortoises who will be our biggest challenge so far. Our staff and players have their work cut out for them, but my eternal orange confidence continues on. We will be 3-0 headed to NYC. Pound salt, Randy.

L. G. O.

Word for word everything I've been thinking about since the CMU game... Seriously get out of my brain...

I'd differ on Hunt having a great arm. He needs to refine his touch passes (which are getting better) but he has a friggin howitzer. The CMU defenders never saw half of his passes, they just heard the ball whizzing by. That Ishmael pass was the perfect example of that. I watched the UGA/USC game later and kept thinking "These passes take forever to get there". Figured out it seemed like that since I just finished watching Hunt throwing Randy Johnson style heat that afternoon.

Last edited:
Great post, Rocco. Agree with near everything.

One small point - bubble was run 11 plays out of the 80. The play book looked a little more open compared to Nova. I think McDonald was trying to keep it very vanilla in that game (and shouldn't have).

love the bubble screen comments and I don't understand why Phillips isn't Estime backup at the Hback? Would love to see him catch the ball and use his speed

Great post, Rocco. Agree with near everything.

One small point - bubble was run 11 plays out of the 80. The play book looked a little more open compared to Nova. I think McDonald was trying to keep it very vanilla in that game (and shouldn't have).

The other point with bubble screens that more people need to understand is that, of those 11 run, the majority of those were likely a check call made at the line scrimmage. The bubble in the spread is often a "tag" play call - meaning that a play is signaled in and Hunt has the option (and is taught) to check to the bubble if he sees X number in the box (1st read typically). The underlying concept of the Spread, like it or not, is to show that you will attack the D on the outside if they load the box.

The other wrinkle to the bubble we saw at CMU that hasn't really been talked about is that there were a couple of plays where Hunt went through with the zone read run option, pulled the ball (did not handoff to RB), read the playside DE as he was running down the line, and then threw the ball to the WR
who would have been/still is the bubble screen target. Hunt can run or throw on those calls as well.

I'd differ on Hunt having a great arm. He needs to refine his touch passes (which are getting better) but he has a friggin howitzer. The CMU defenders never saw half of his passes, they just heard the hall whizzing by. That Ishmael pass was the perfect example of that. I watched the UGA/USC game later and kept thinking "These passes take forever to get there". Figured out it seemed like that since I just finished watching Hunt throwing Randy Johnson style heat that afternoon.
We're too used to both Nassib and Hunt who throw Elway Crosses.

Can we start a thread just for uniforms and bubble screen? the problem with the screen is the execution, it is horrendous. It is terrible, subpar MAC teams use it all the time. Yet here we just scream we need more playmakers, etc. Much like Lemon and Sales weren't fast enough, strong enough, etc.

It's a pretty basic play, you don't need track stars to run it. You need speed to break it 80 yards not 7-9 yards. The blocking is horrendous in it and obviously they are tipping their hand somehow as to when they are going to run it, pretty clear to see that. Sure I reduction in the number of times it's called would help but it's part of everyone's offense who runs similar O. Do people not watch other games around the country?

Last edited:
First off, I've been off the board for the most part since the Nova game. I simply could not handle it. I've been tied up with work and have missed my SU football fix, so I've been reading through the threads for the last hour or so. Some good stuff being tossed around, so I figured I'd add a few lingering thoughts I have thus far.

1. I think it is absolute horseshitt that PSU had their bans lifted, especially on the scholarship end. For what occurred on that campus and then the cover-ups that followed are simply not deserving of any sort of leniencies. That single-handedly cost us the commitment of Daiquan Kelly, who would've been a great fit in this defense. Kelly always said that if PSU offered, he would have to rethink things, but What. Scholly ban lifted, Kelly gets an offer and decommits. I couldn't win watching that PSU/Rutty game, I loathe both schools and fan bases (did make me giggle that Rutty lost at the end at home in front of the Snooky-ites). Kick rocks NCAA, way to baffle everyone again. You too, Kirk Herbstreit for sticking up for them. Clown.

2. The staff had to be incredibly embarrassed after the Nova fiasco, as they should have been. The only thing that could've gone worse was if that poor Nova kicker didn't miss the chip shot. Pretty much everything went wrong in that game. Hunt messed up, McD was a joke, Bullough was a joke, the DE's broke contain every effeing play, and lastly, Shafer was a joke for overseeing the whole ordeal. The Dome was packed (I wasn't there, thankfully or I would've stroked out) and we really needed to come out with a bang, especially with getting a fresh start with all of the freshmen class filling the student section up. The exact opposite happened. Nova is a very good FCS football program, but we should've won that game running away. Rumor has it that ticket sales for Maryland look bleak, so the team will be back to playing in front of a 30-35k actual crowd. Not very good for visiting recruits or the confidence of players.

3. Dear bubble screen: get lost. I understand that McD wants to be TAMU or Oregon, but this roster cannot fulfill the personnel requirements to run that type of offense RIGHT NOW. Every here and now, fine. But not 15-20 times/game. And if you are going to call in a bubble, jailbreak or comeback screen, please only use Broyld, Estime or Philips. Get our playmakers in space.

4. Erv Philips, welcome to Syracuse. I know people can't say enough good things about him, but wow. I got the goosebumps watching him in that one series. The kid is a smooth runner with top-end burst and speed. His biggest issue is that he is so damn skinny. One big pop and he could be down for the count. At the very least, he should be getting 15 touches/game. In my book, he is already #1 amongst the rb's. It will remain a RB-by committee approach the rest of the year IMO, but I guarantee we will see alot more of #14 moving forward. He may not understand blitz protection and other things, but he does not need to right now. When he is on the field, it should be for moving the ball downfield only. Swervin Ervin has only given us limited glimpses, but they were enough to see how good that kid could be for us. Kudos to the staff for finding him.

5. Proud of Hunt. He made a big mistake in game 1 and also got heated at times against CMU, but he held it together and led our offense to 31 points. I like his ability to gain yards when a play breaks down as well as on his designed keepers. He doesn't have a great arm, but he can make any of the throws this offense will need him to make. We really need him to keep progressing as he controls our destiny this year. I'm bullish on him.

6. We need to get Custis in space and throw to him on seam routes. He's not being used correctly on bubble screens. He lacks great burst, which is mandatory if you need to make corners miss you on the outside. He's been wide open the few times I've seen him downfield and is a matchup nightmare for an OLB or even a safety. I'm hoping we see a ball thrown his way this week 20 or 30 yards downfield.

7. Really like what Ishmael brings to the table. He will only improve as he gets more reps, but has shown his ability to block, run good routes and possess great mitts. That catch in traffic when he was flanked by 3 CMU db's was impressive. Was also a great thread by Hunt.

8. Our line play on both sides of the ball improved greatly against CMU. I am still worried and hope to see the improved play this weekend. With a forceful D-line, we are screwed against BC, Pitt and every other team that runs a power offense. Impressed with Foy and Palmer.

9. Loved the uniforms, even though we looked like a version of the Texas Longhorns. We have no control over it, so we may as well embrace them as they aren't changing back anytime soon IMO.

I love this football program more than any other sports team. My whole week's tone is set based on what happened with SU football over the weekend. It's pathetic, but that's what it is. I, along with all of you junkies, want to see Syracuse be on the national stage again. We're 2-0 and that's really all that matters at this point. One game at a time. Next up, Randy Edsall and the Maryland Tortoises who will be our biggest challenge so far. Our staff and players have their work cut out for them, but my eternal orange confidence continues on. We will be 3-0 headed to NYC. Pound salt, Randy.

L. G. O.
Agree about Custis. He was being covered by undersized LBs or safeties in the CMU game, it was a huge mismatch if they threw it to him downfield. Throwing it to him at the LOS negated his size advantage and emphasized his relative lack of quickness compared to the little ones the Chips had in coverage.

Broyld often has a size advantage too and is good in the air...don't think I have ever seen them throw a fade to him in the red zone.

Things that make you go hmmmm.

I think Hunt has an Avg arm. his big issue is still waiting too long to decide where to throw. If the checkdown to the bubble happens and you end up throwing it with guys like Custis catching it then we need to have better sets of people in the game. custis should be a seem/deep guy when he catches thing at speed and takes advantage of the smaller hopefully slower cover guys.

Agree about Custis. He was being covered by undersized LBs or safeties in the CMU game, it was a huge mismatch if they threw it to him downfield. Throwing it to him at the LOS negated his size advantage and emphasized his relative lack of quickness compared to the little ones the Chips had in coverage.

Broyld often has a size advantage too and is good in the air...don't think I have ever seen them throw a fade to him in the red zone.

Things that make you go hmmmm.
we have several guys who we should be able to find a mismatch on end zone plays. NFL teams will throw 2-3 fades in a row if they have the mistmatch. we dont throw any except the pitt game where we tried to throw it from 20 yds out. we are struggling in the red zone, we need to call better plays down there.

if we try to run that bubble,bubble play against N.D. I see a pick six as N.D. plays that real tough and tight,just ask Michigan about that.

when do they break out the pump and go fake bubble and hit a streaking Flemming down the sideline?

if we try to run that bubble,bubble play against N.D. I see a pick six as N.D. plays that real tough and tight,just ask Michigan about that.

We will run it if they are playing off. It's a core part of the offense. It's up to Hunt to diagnose pre snap if they are playing up or not.

when do they break out the pump and go fake bubble and hit a streaking Flemming down the sideline?

Or the sweep to the opposite side with Erv the swerve and a pulling linemen, ala Philly.

The points about using players in the right situations is key. Custis should absolutely be split wide in the red zone as he should be able to win 1 on 1 match-ups against smaller guys.

Get the play makers the ball on the move and not standing and waiting-that's what other teams around the country are doing better than SU right now. Teams aren't just throwing the standard bubble, they are looping receivers to the inside and getting lineman blocking for them, and using the jet sweep action to spread the defense.

I worry that the red zone offense is going to be Hunt running the ball and we saw that this team can't afford to lose him.

We will run it if they are playing off. It's a core part of the offense. It's up to Hunt to diagnose pre snap if they are playing up or not.

I understand that, but N.D. baited them to run it by playing off it then crashing down real hard for multiple losses on that play. I gave N.D. a lot of credit on how they defended it.

I just don't know if hunt can deliver the ball fast enough to be effective when it isn't working against teams that don't have the talent level of N.D.

while we're play calling here, how about a five yard slant, which seems to be open on nearly every possession the offense spreads the field.

They did this a bit in the CMU game. I think it's the counter-weight to the bubble. Really tough for CB's to play both well.

I understand that, but N.D. baited them to run it by playing off it then crashing down real hard for multiple losses on that play. I gave N.D. a lot of credit on how they defended it.

I just don't know if hunt can deliver the ball fast enough to be effective when it isn't working against teams that don't have the talent level of N.D.

Good worry. I think it's up to Hunt to read it correctly - and I believe fully that the offensive staff will see that tape and plan accordingly.

while we're play calling here, how about a five yard slant, which seems to be open on nearly every possession the offense spreads the field.

we ran a slant to Lewis and it was thrown behind him. he made a good play to make the catch. had it been out front of him he might of walked into the endzone.

but since we run the 'bubble' offense we need some variations off of it.

we ran a slant to Lewis and it was thrown behind him. he made a good play to make the catch. had it been out front of him he might of walked into the endzone.

but since we run the 'bubble' offense we need some variations off of it.

Don't disagree with you there but it isn't going anywhere and the problems isn't as much the play call but the formations, Hunt reading it correctly and the execution. Brolyd could be the worst I have ever seen blocking on the bubble, he's beyond bad. James Harden does a better job of getting in front of somebody than he does

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom