Some other Oscar thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Some other Oscar thoughts

SWC75

Bored Historian
- I wonder if the reason Selma wasn't nominated is that they given 12 Years a Slave Best picture last eyar and they felt there would be pressure to vote for Selma and they didn't want to give similarly themed films two straight Oscars.

- The biggest mistake they've made in recent years is to shunt the honorary awards off to a separate ceremony that is jsut described at the big one while continuing to present Oscars for things like animated shorts on the live show. The public would be much more interested in seeing legends like Maureen O'Hara and Harry Belafonte get career Oscars than to see someone they've never heard of gushing about something they'll never see.

- Why are they honoring "The Sound of Music" now when it won the Oscar for 1965, not 1964? At least we saw that Lady Gaga has a very real singing talent and doesn't need to wear garish costumes to attract attention to herself. Nobody seems to trust their talent any more.

- Having John Travota and Idina Menzel present together was a great touch.

- Note to the winners: It's highly appropriate to thank the people who helped you make the film. But leave out your family members unless they actually had something to do with the film.

My only thought is why wasn't Glenn Greenwald arrested on the spot? I thought he was never coming back into this country because he knows he disclosed confidential and top secret information.

Also, a thumbs down to those in the audience who cheered for him. Glad to know you're OK with putting American live's in harms way.

ALS and Alzheimers won the best actor and best actress awards. I'm glad movies shed light on the realities of diseases but that doesn't mean the actors playing the victims necessarily gave the best performances. Actors like Michael Keaton, Felicity Jones and Rosamond Pike were great, even if their characters didn't have diseases.

Selma did get a best pic nod...was snubbed in other major categories though.

Travolta is an ongoing trainwreck.

They spoiled Gone Girl twice! At the beginning in a hilarious way and near the end in an annoying way.

NPH was best at the start. Envelope thing at end was lame.

Loved the joke NPH made about the gifts the nominated actors receive.

Academy Awards’ outrageous excess, lobbing a nice jab at the ridiculousness of the $160,000 gift bags, replete with “an armored car to take [celebs] to safety when the revolution comes.”

Loved the joke NPH made about the gifts the nominated actors receive.

Academy Awards’ outrageous excess, lobbing a nice jab at the ridiculousness of the $160,000 gift bags, replete with “an armored car to take [celebs] to safety when the revolution comes.”

Maher on the Swag Bags:

- I wonder if the reason Selma wasn't nominated is that they given 12 Years a Slave Best picture last eyar and they felt there would be pressure to vote for Selma and they didn't want to give similarly themed films two straight Oscars.

- The biggest mistake they've made in recent years is to shunt the honorary awards off to a separate ceremony that is jsut described at the big one while continuing to present Oscars for things like animated shorts on the live show. The public would be much more interested in seeing legends like Maureen O'Hara and Harry Belafonte get career Oscars than to see someone they've never heard of gushing about something they'll never see.

- Why are they honoring "The Sound of Music" now when it won the Oscar for 1965, not 1964? At least we saw that Lady Gaga has a very real singing talent and doesn't need to wear garish costumes to attract attention to herself. Nobody seems to trust their talent any more.

- Having John Travota and Idina Menzel present together was a great touch.

- Note to the winners: It's highly appropriate to thank the people who helped you make the film. But leave out your family members unless they actually had something to do with the film.
I disagree with your last point. I thought J.K Simmons had a terrific speech, paying tribute to his wife and children, who probably have more to do with his career success than any producer or director. His advice to call your parents was a nice touch also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom