Some Quick UVA thoughts | Syracusefan.com

Some Quick UVA thoughts

JeremyCuse

Renowned lacrosse analyst
With the draft and hangover from the Navy loss the UVA game has gone a bit under the radar this week. I think SU still has a strong case to make to be in the tourney if they lose tonight but its cutting close and they would need to beat Colgate for sure. Was going to do a recap on the Navy game but I think we kind of debated that to death already and not sure anyone wants to re-live it. Clearly we need to clean up turnovers and we really need a new plan on running out the clock at the end of games. Feels like SU turns it over in that situation like 75% of the time going back as far as I can remember.

Anyway on to UVA, nothing really earth shattering for SU its about stopping the knowns. Kraus, Laviano, Aiken, and D'Amario(spelling?). I thought SU did a pretty good job defensively for 3 quarters in the 1st meeting and then we kind of fell apart in the 4th with turnovers and horrific off-ball defense. Matchups seem pretty clear to me, Mellen on Kraus, Fusco on Aiken and I would assume Bomberry on D'amario with Kennedy/Dipetro on Laviano. UVA is going to score but we need to keep them close to 10 then 15 goals. D has to play light years better then they did in the second half against Navy. Thought the offense did them in, in the 1st half with bad turnovers but the D was pretty bad in the 2nd save for Madonna.

Offensively SU did a pretty good job last game and had a good output against Navy despite way to many turnovers. Solomon and Rehfuss are really playing at a high clip right now and I believe UVA will be down 1 or 2 defenders per what I read earlier in the week. Key for SU will be the 1st midfield. Trimboli has been a disaster the last two weeks with multiple turnover the last two games and I don't think any goals. We need him to snap out of it. Dordevic showed well against UVA last time, so they may pole him and go with a shorty on Trimbo based on his recent struggles. SU should have a depth advantage here but needs to be smart about it.

Varello needs a repeat of his performance last game against Schwenk. Thought it was probably his best or one of his best performances of the year when you consider Schwenk is facing off at nearly 60%. I think Desko needs to be quick to go to Delisle if he struggles coming off that emotional game last Saturday against his brother.

All things considered this should be a good game, two pretty evenly matched teams though I give SU a slight edge with Conrad out for the year. UVA has that revenge factor with the whole Solomon thing but both teams could really use this W for the tourney. SU has done pretty good under Desko with there backs against the wall so I am hoping we can find a way to come out with the W tonight.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuse13159

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom