Somebody in Syracuse who is this Chris McManus clown? | Syracusefan.com

Somebody in Syracuse who is this Chris McManus clown?

Alsacs

Living Legend
The hottakes on SU basketball out of his mouth are insane. Reading him and Keeley go back and forth. Does every Syracuse sports radio host play the contrarian role just to get attention?
My god we need the hotsportztake police on these guys.

After Danny left, Chris' show was the only one I would listen to (the only one I know besides Bud). Haven't tuned in in about a year tho.

I have not seen what you read, and he like everyone is suscepible to being wrong from time to time, but I think his show in general is pretty good. The best there is for SU talk.

I have not seen what you read, and he like everyone is suscepible to being wrong from time to time, but I think his show in general is pretty good. The best there is for SU talk.
They tweets were from a Keeley, him, and my friend in a 3 way twitter exchange. Nothing personal was said but basically his point was SU should accept responsibility. While my friend was saying of course they should but that doesn't mean we should be over penalized by the NCAA.

SU based on the previous penalties dished out by the NCAA was severely overpunished.

We literally have no good local sports radio personalities here anymore. Absolute garbage all around nowadays.

The hottakes on SU basketball out of his mouth are insane. Reading him and Keeley go back and forth. Does every Syracuse sports radio host play the contrarian role just to get attention?
My two cents-while Chris is a little young and given to moments of immaturity, he is the only local,sports talking head that I can stomach. He's a generally positive guy while the rest are a pack of mopes including and ESPECIALLY the guy Chris works with.

Well he does work for ESPN(I know it's Galaxy)... You of all people should know how that goes...:blah:

Sports radio has become contrarian troll your home fans. That is why I like the Francesa's of the world who are old school and are a dying breed. Hotsportztakes are taking over Sports Radio.

I don't know the Syracuse market guys but somebody like SWC75 is what the you need mixed in with contrarians.

Sports radio has become contrarian troll your home fans. That is why I like the Francesa's of the world who are old school and are a dying breed. Hotsportztakes are taking over Sports Radio.

I don't know the Syracuse market guys but somebody like SWC75 is what the you need mixed in with contrarians.

If you think he's bad don't listen to Sal Maneen at 1. He's worse. ESPN carries Mike/Mike, Lebatard/Gotz, then they switch to Orange Access with Maneen/Infanti 1-2, UFR with Mcmanus/Neikam from 2-5, and Axe 5-6.

Maneen epitomizes your typical miserable CNYer. Infanti loves Duke. Won't shut up about them during BBall. Don't care for their show. UFR is good, Mcmanus and Neikam are really young SU grads (25/26, you can look them up on Linkedin), but good for the most part. I generally agree with Neikam more than McManus. Think of McManus as a young Mike Greenberg. That's how he comes off on the show.

"in general", nice pun!

I would not label Chris McManus as a contrarian at all. He's more of a homer, like Brent Axe.

I also happen to agree with him. I think Syracuse's punishment was, if anything, too light. My problem with the NCAA is not at all that they punished Syracuse too much, its that they don't punish other known cheaters enough. I'd like more accountability in college sports, and I want everybody to be playing by the same rules.

I would not label Chris McManus as a contrarian at all. He's more of a homer, like Brent Axe.

I also happen to agree with him. I think Syracuse's punishment was, if anything, too light. My problem with the NCAA is not at all that they punished Syracuse too much, its that they don't punish other known cheaters enough. I'd like more accountability in college sports, and I want everybody to be playing by the same rules.

It's like Tom Brady getting 4 games for deflated footballs when everyone else in history got a 30,000 dollar fine for equipment violations. They made an example out of us to show their strength. That's what everyones up in arms about.

Also he forgot that the penalties aren't just because of Fab, but because we had drug violations and impermissable benefits given out by a YMCA employee. I'm fine with the Fab penalties, but the other stuff is pretty ridiculous.

13e26b73bac342c3.png

You scared me there for a momment...

If Brent Axe is considered a homer I honestly don't know the Syracuse market at all.

You think the violations that Syracuse has been allegedly to commit should have resulted in the loss of 12 scholarships in basketball and 5 years of probation for basketball and football?

If Fab Melo's cheating, Syracuse not following thru its own drug policy, and the YMCA allegations are enough to loss 12 scholarships the NCAA would shut down programs.

I think we are going to agree to disagree on this one. Baylor which had its coach imply that a murdered player of his was a drug dealer and made illegal payments for a couple players got less lost scholarships that Syracuse did.

Sorry I don't think the NCAA was fair in giving out punishments to anybody. They do whatever they want and we were overpunished.

My two cents-while Chris is a little young and given to moments of immaturity, he is the only local,sports talking head that I can stomach. He's a generally positive guy while the rest are a pack of mopes including and ESPECIALLY the guy Chris works with.

That's like saying he's the smartest kid in the dumb class.

Upon Further Review is a good show with intelligent observations. I don't call into it much because I'm usually pretty busy doing other things at that time of day. I like Brent Axe but his hour show is more feature driven than call-in driven like his former 4 hour show so I usually just listen. I call into Bud and the Manchild a lot because that's the breakfast hour for me and I find it a friendly, intelligent show as well.

The one show I avoid is Lindsley, who is a fine reporter but a charmless host.

Thanks for talking about us on the show Chris and Steve! Heard it all on my drive home. If you ever want to have a beer stop by on the site and let us know!

Just got a shout out from half way around the world.

Good to know they like the "Fat Steve" tag. I dropped that on him when he predicted Uconn would beat SU in 2012.

What an idiot.

Just got a shout out from half way around the world.

Good to know they like the "Fat Steve" tag. I dropped that on him when he predicted Uconn would beat SU in 2012.

What an idiot.
So you're the one they were talking about today.

I want everybody to be playing by the same rules.

This is the only part of what you wrote that I agree with. The Rutger's football coach is getting suspended for interfering with a student's academics, but in a similar situation with Fab Melo, JB was punished for not being proactive enough.

I wouldn't disagree with them so much if they just would tell the whole story. Our sanctions aren't just about academics, but like so much other crap on the ESPN family of networks they fail to tell the entire story.

So was this thread mentioned on their show?
I mean any Syracuse fan who can be objective realizes we deserved a punishment. Now we all agree that Syracuse self imposing the ban for post season play was brilliant and mitigated any damage for 2015 and the future.
However losing 3 scholarships per year for the next 4 years was completely overdone. Also 5 years probation for football and basketball is a lot.
Syracuse has accepted responsibility and changed its AD. Dr. Gross was a fine AD at Syracuse but this penalty and new chancellor had to push him out.
This clown McManus saying the NCAA actually cares about academic integrity is like Roger Goodell cry about integrity. When an organization wants to get you they will use whatever fits their narrative to make it easiest. Syracuse would INSANE if they just accepted the penalties the NCAA gave and didn't fight to have them reduced. If you advice is to just accept the penalties its not worth expressing it.

The bar in the Syracuse market is set pretty low, however.

So was this thread mentioned on their show?
I mean any Syracuse fan who can be objective realizes we deserved a punishment. Now we all agree that Syracuse self imposing the ban for post season play was brilliant and mitigated any damage for 2015 and the future.
However losing 3 scholarships per year for the next 4 years was completely overdone. Also 5 years probation for football and basketball is a lot.
Syracuse has accepted responsibility and changed its AD. Dr. Gross was a fine AD at Syracuse but this penalty and new chancellor had to push him out.
This clown McManus saying the NCAA actually cares about academic integrity is like Roger Goodell cry about integrity. When an organization wants to get you they will use whatever fits their narrative to make it easiest. Syracuse would INSANE if they just accepted the penalties the NCAA gave and didn't fight to have them reduced. If you advice is to just accept the penalties its not worth expressing it.
Yes it was talked about on the show. They are calling themselves "the Clown and Fat Steve".

Hey everyone. I am the clown. I read the site fairly often. Glad some of you like us. I enjoy reading. Some of the best Cuse fans I know post on here all the time. Hope you don't hold it against us personally if you don't like some of our opinions. And Steve is actually a good guy in real life, even if he picked UConn to beat Saint Doug. Few things on the hoops penalties...

I really don't think the punishment is all that excessive and I really don't want to be "hot take" guy in the media. My opinions come from all the people we've talked to about this, on and off our show. And we were pretty proud of how many guys we had on that people would want to hear from. Anyway, doesn't make my opinions right; lots of smart people disagree, but it's definitely not just for attention. I think different people are offended or not offended by different parts of the 94 page report.

To me, I don't know how anyone on the hill is supposed to police what the players do at a YMCA. An estimated few thousand dollars worth of extra benefits over eight years is laughable, especially now that they get that much over a couple of years with the cost of attendance stipend. They should be embarrassed that it took them eight years to come up with that.

The drug test thing is neither a competitive advantage nor morally indefensible, in my opinion. But how hard is it to follow your own policy? The previous administration left them without a leg to stand on with that.

Cusefan, the reason we spend the most time on the academic part is because, to us, it's the worst part. We carried the conference call with the Committee on Infractions that day, and the spokesman spent the most time on the culture, monitoring, (other buzzwords) that would allow for the Fab Melo incident to happen. That's where the NCAA had the biggest problem. They are now saying that the coaches will be held responsible for the actions of their subordinates (Stan Kissel, in this case). I think we will be seeing more of this in future cases. I don't think JB is morally bankrupt or a cheater, but if they want the culture to change, they have to stop allowing the "I was unaware" defense. It's been allowing coaches all over the country to tell their people, "I don't care what you have to do, just get him eligible," which the subordinates are obviously going to follow. I have no idea if that happened here, but they are making it the coaches' business to make sure that doesn't happen at their programs.

For the record, I do think the academic priority in the NCAA is mostly a farce, but if they don't pretend to care (by punishing coaches and programs like this), their whole system will be in jeopardy as the lawsuits keep coming. I could spend the rest of my life complaining about the setup of the NCAA and the member institutions that allow this archaic system just so administrators can line their pockets, but for now, this is our lousy system.

And, bottom line, the penalties don't cripple them. They're thin next year, but that's not entirely NCAA related. The 2016-2018 rosters could be loaded in spite of the penalties, so I really don't think the punishment is as bad as people make it out to be.