Sorta OT--Louisville | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sorta OT--Louisville

Not really this time. There are several scandals being investigated in the academic side of the school, including allegations of financial improprieties. Jurich seems to have the Athletic Department in cruise control, doing really good things that everyone connected with the school likes. I wouldn't go out on a limb and say that nothing will eventually happen to Pitino over what took place in bball, but right now, everyone involved is so beyond totally preoccupied in getting the management of the academic side of the house cleaned up, that Pitino may retire before the UofL administration is in a position to even think about what they want/need to do w/him.

The VA governor is responsible for selecting the members of the Visitors (Trustees) of all the state schools and then they pick their presidents. A lot of states work that way. Fortunately, only so many board members are replaced at one time, but, based on what I've seen on their message board, the problems at UofL are so egregious right now, that everyone needed to be canned. In Alabama, they have one board for the whole state system, and they do everything they can to protect Tuscaloosa at the expense of the others (like disbanding the Birmingham football team).
The plot thickens.

Kentucky judge blocks governor from dissolving University of Louisville board

From great distance, and with no inside knowledge at all--

I see this as politics. The governor wanted his own people in place. And, maybe the governor was informed that the previous powers were going to handle the basketball/athletic dept. situation in a way that he disapproved. So, he proactively pulled the rug out from under them.

I don't like the idea of power being concentrated to that extent. One man chooses the whole board, which then picks the new president.
The governor's sick of LV players wasting time with school work so he cleaned house.

Louisville became a state school in 1970. Prior to that, they had been a private institution for nearly 200 years. But they were struggling, no doubt about it. The debate at the time was whether UofL would buckle to becoming "UK North" - "The U of Kentucky @ Louisville" (lol) which UK was angling for. Right away, funding was paltry and the bizarre juxtaposition of the revenue engine and population center of the state being starved out generated the budding realization that UofL needed to mine its local strengths - a large corporate structure and some very loyal graduates over the prior 180 years- in fund raising. This did not happen right away but it has increased hugely as the motor for the growth of the campus and all the improvements since then. Louisville is almost completely independent of awaiting state word on just about anything - and the BOT is an ancient remnant of the inequity of "yore". The cat fight going on now is like satellites crashing somewhere remote in Heaven - the irony of the nearly stupidly conservative governor (from out of state) being basically a UofL fan results in a hilarious culture clash. It's messy but good theater. :)

The hostility within the state has never waned - a classic urban/rural dissonance - and, since the state did indeed save UofL from disappearing in the early '70's, our becoming a state school was a life saver. But much has happened since then. Under the out going President, $2.2 billion was spent on campus improvements since 2002 with and few billion scheduled for investment into the unique business and research programs bordering the campus. The huge money caused a few people to criminalize their work......just way too much free money out there not to steal. It cost Ramsey his job. But he will always be the guy who let Tom Jurich build athletics and who oversaw the transition to the ACC.

Ummmmm, thank you?:vomit:
Sure. Judging from your torrent of interested responses, I can find other places to mine the gold which is the Syracuse fan's gift to sporting.

It'll make beating the crap out of you on the field marginally more satisfying, too.

Sure. Judging from your torrent of interested responses, I can find other places to mine the gold which is the Syracuse fan's gift to sporting.

It'll make beating the crap out of you on the field marginally more satisfying, too.

Why? Nameless, faceless banter from the oppositions message board really shouldn't register after a W. Marginal or seismic.
If this were an in-venue exchange, my position mirrors yours.

You are an excellent poster on the Ville board, but the smack-talk regarding our team in this forum, is pointless and poor form. I never understand why people do it - the sentiment is never going to gain traction here.

Why? Nameless, faceless banter from the oppositions message board really shouldn't register after a W. Marginal or seismic.
If this were an in-venue exchange, my position mirrors yours.

You are an excellent poster on the Ville board, but the smack-talk regarding our team in this forum, is pointless and poor form. I never understand why people do it - the sentiment is never going to gain traction here.
Know what, Wallace, you make a terrific point and I want to go ahead on and apologize to you all for lowering things. Truth is, I respect Cuse and always have. I love the firey competitiveness you have always brought into our high quality basketball and football games.

I'm gonna turn over a new leaf, lol. I value what I read here when it is good, just like at my own sites. There are, in the end, few better takes for the nuts and bolts of sports than the takes of fans.

Please accept my humble and sincere regrets at flip posting - there's lots of good stuff to talk about.

Let's make Louisville great again !
Sorry didn't see the original post date. would never had commented if I had and so have erased the comment.

Big shake-up.

President of the university "steps down".

Governor of Kentucky disbands board of trustees (17 dismissed). He will personally pick a new group of 10.

No mention of Jurich, Petrino, or Pitino being in any jeopardy.

Good to know they have their priorities in order.

Ramsey steps down as president at Louisville

I wonder if Pitino and Petrino ever compare notes?