Sources: ESPN Mainstay Mike Tirico Leaving ESPN To Join NBC | Syracusefan.com

Sources: ESPN Mainstay Mike Tirico Leaving ESPN To Join NBC

OrangeXtreme

The Mayor of Dewitt
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2016/04/25/Tirico.aspx

Mike Tirico, one of ESPN’s best known on-air voices, is leaving the network for NBC, according to several sources. Tirico has been a mainstay with ESPN since '91, and given his many roles at ESPN, he will be an incredibly difficult talent to replace. Tirico has been ESPN's on-air face of the NFL, serving as the lead play-by-play announcer for “MNF” since '06. A source says that Sean McDonough, who recently renewed his deal with ESPN, is a leading candidate to replace Tirico on "MNF," though no decision has been made yet. NBC would not comment on the move, with a spokesperson saying that the net does not comment on people under contract with another outlet.

A versatile broadcaster, Tirico also heads up ESPN’s second NBA broadcast team and will continue to call games through this year's playoffs, as his current deal ends this summer. He also has called college basketball and football games and led ESPN’s golf and tennis coverage. Tirico is expected to be the lead play-by-play voice on NBC’s new “Thursday Night Football” package of five late-season games. It is unclear what his other roles will be at NBC, where Al Michaels is the lead play-by-play voice for the network’s signature “SNF” package, and Bob Costas is an established Olympics host, having been selected as primetime host for a record seven Olympics including this summer's Rio Games.

What
Wow ESPN is definitely tightening its belts in spending. Tirico must have been offered a chit deal and said goodbye. We now know Al Michaels replacement. Michaels is close to retirement and has said he hates the grind of traveling from the West coast so much.

Big loss for ESPN. That is insane. Tirico must love calling the Open golf tourney.

Very interesting. His replacement on MNF could be another Cuse guy, which is pretty cool. Does McDononough currently do any football though? I picture him as mainly a basketball guy.

Wow, if true. Tirico is practically the face of ESPN.... College basketball, pro basketball, college football, NFL, golf, tennis... and probably a few I forget.

Will there be enough for him to do at NBC?

Very interesting. His replacement on MNF could be another Cuse guy, which is pretty cool. Does McDononough currently do any football though? I picture him as mainly a basketball guy.
McDonough does both college and NFL football. One weekend, a couple of years ago, he did Clemson at SU on a Saturday... and then did the NFL game at the Meadowlands on Sunday. I remember it well because that was the weekend he was my airline seat mate... both coming and going between NY and Syracuse.

Well that sucks to lose him doing the occasional Orange basketball game. He was always professional but you could tell he bleeds orange.

If I were ESPN I would ask Brent Musberger about MNF. He is stuck doing SEC Network games and deserves better. Chris Fowler snaked his job. Give Big Game Brent MNF.
I love Sean McDonough he still does big college games. Tirico got lowballed in negotiations and said okay I will jump to NBC. Do TNF, Olympics, Golf, maybe some ND football and then take over for Al Michaels in a couple of years on SNF.

If I were ESPN I would ask Brent Musberger about MNF. He is stuck doing SEC Network games and deserves better. Chris Fowler snaked his job. Give Big Game Brent MNF.
I love Sean McDonough he still does big college games. Tirico got lowballed in negotiations and said okay I will jump to NBC. Do TNF, Olympics, Golf, maybe some ND football and then take over for Al Michaels in a couple of years on SNF.

Musberger is going to be 77 years old next month. Old people have nothing to offer except rambling nonsensical stories and hard candy that's been in their pockets for too long.

Musberger is going to be 77 years old next month. Old people have nothing to offer except rambling nonsensical stories and hard candy that's been in their pockets for too long.
Give me Musberger calling a game over cookie cutter corporate kiss butt snake Chris Fowler.
Musberger is a legend and would a short term band aid. The only other options for ESPN would be Trey Wingo, good god no Chris Berman, or an outsider.

No. Brent is yesterday. They should be looking for the future.

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in Greeny and Golic, they've tried it before.:vomit:

Shulmans NBA duties will be expanded.

What?
Wow ESPN is definitely tightening its belts in spending. Tirico must have been offered a chit deal and said goodbye. We now know Al Michaels replacement. Michaels is close to retirement and has said he hates the grind of traveling from the West coast so much.

Big loss for ESPN. That is insane. Tirico must love calling the Open golf tourney.

Huge loss for Espn, Tirico is terrific, I wonder who replaces him on mnf.

Give me Musberger calling a game over cookie cutter corporate kiss butt snake Chris Fowler.
Musberger is a legend and would a short term band aid. The only other options for ESPN would be Trey Wingo, good god no Chris Berman, or an outsider.

I think they will be looking for someone younger than Brent but that guy has done a complete 180 in my book. I used to hate him when he was on CBS with Billy Packer. I thought they both were too big for their britches. But I love Brent as he has aged. He realizes he announces sports for a living and just has fun with it!

ESPN's being foolish. Tirico was one of their top talents. I think NBC recognizes that and has big plans for him, as you point out.

Wow, if true. Tirico is practically the face of ESPN... College basketball, pro basketball, college football, NFL, golf, tennis... and probably a few I forget.

Will there be enough for him to do at NBC?
NBC Sports Network has programming as well, lots of hockey and horse racing off the top of my head.

I think his commentary has dipped these past few years.

Dennis-Miller.jpg

You are obviously a long time poster and a good one, but, I absolutely hate Musberger, have to turn off the sound and find some other way to listen. Goes off on tangents not pertaining to the game. Wife and I call him special interest Brent. Each to their own, just hate it when he's announcing.

I love Brent, but at this point he's best where he is. Sometimes the National game sucks,but I know I have Brent doing an always good SEC game now.

But he should absolutely do 1 of those 2 MNF games on week 1 and if Gameday started off with him doing voiceovers of each game going...'You're looking live...' I'd at least watch the 1st 5 minutes of that once great, but now insufferable show.