Sources: ESPN Mainstay Mike Tirico Leaving ESPN To Join NBC | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sources: ESPN Mainstay Mike Tirico Leaving ESPN To Join NBC

Musberger is going to be 77 years old next month. Old people have nothing to offer except rambling nonsensical stories and hard candy that's been in their pockets for too long.
If you are going down that road you might as well go for the best ever: Keith Jackson. Nobody was better than he was and he's only 87. Whoa, Nellie!

Maybe mike sees that cable will be irrelevant soon and making the jump to an OTA network.

Musberger is going to be 77 years old next month. Old people have nothing to offer except rambling nonsensical stories and hard candy that's been in their pockets for too long.

We keep hard candy in our pockets in order to reminisce about the good old days.

And before you know it, you'll wake up one day and someone will be saying the same thing about you.

Wow, if true. Tirico is practically the face of ESPN... College basketball, pro basketball, college football, NFL, golf, tennis... and probably a few I forget.

Will there be enough for him to do at NBC?

not the quantity, but more quality

Very interesting. His replacement on MNF could be another Cuse guy, which is pretty cool. Does McDononough currently do any football though? I picture him as mainly a basketball guy.

It is nothing short of amazing that it looks strong that it will be a cuse grad (mcdonough) replacing a cuse grad (tirico) replacing a cuse grad (costas) to fill 2 of the 3 biggest positions in sports broadcasting. CBS (nantz) is the other 1.

This is a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm sure NBC made it worth his while financially, but why leave MNF for Thursday Night Football?

Rumor is that Sean McDonough will replace Tirico. Not exactly a good trade in my book.

This is a bit of a head-scratcher. I'm sure NBC made it worth his while financially, but why leave MNF for Thursday Night Football?

Rumor is that Sean McDonough will replace Tirico. Not exactly a good trade in my book.
Sunday night football?

Sunday night football?

The article I read stated that he would become the voice of TNF, but didn't mention anything about SNF. If he was offered a prime position for SNF, his departure would make a bit more sense.

It is nothing short of amazing that it looks strong that it will be a cuse grad (mcdonough) replacing a cuse grad (tirico) replacing a cuse grad (costas) to fill 2 of the 3 biggest positions in sports broadcasting. CBS (nantz) is the other 1.

And (coincidence?) the non-SU one is by far the worst of the four.

Great get for NBC, but it'll be kind of odd not hearing him as much anymore. 5 Thursday games, Olympics and golf? Meh...but I'm guessing this move is more for 2+ years down the line when Al Michaels may hang it up on Sunday night football. And I'm sure the $$$ is much better.

Also, hope McDonough gets the MNF gig.

Great get for NBC, but it'll be kind of odd not hearing him as much anymore. 5 Thursday games, Olympics and golf? Meh...but I'm guessing this move is more for 2+ years down the line when Al Michaels may hang it up on Sunday night football. And I'm sure the $$$ is much better.

Also, hope McDonough gets the MNF gig.

He wont even get the bigtime Olympic stuff until Costas retires.

But NBC will be paying him probably in the neighborhood of $7.5-10mil per year - they'll find a way to keep him busy until he takes over full duties of Sunday Night and Olympics and Super Bowls.

Horse Racing, golf, thurs night football (he'll still have some sort of SNF duties immediately), and olympics - maybe they get a little more into college football, maybe they bring back the NBA. nothing more classic than the peacock and NBA on NBC logo

hqdefault.jpg

This is a big deal - he is going to be Bob Costas and Al Michaels in 1 by 2024.

Totally disagree. Tirico and McDonough are both great, IMHO.

Peep this one from 2:47:35:

(Sorry to all of you who will now lose three hours of work to that video.)

That was, I believe, the best three-man team college hoops has ever seen. I spoke with McDonough at the team hotel in Atlanta at the 2013 Final Four (thanks again, Joyce!), and he couldn't have been nicer--though he seemed to have seen the end coming for that trio.

al michaels and CC are great on SNF.

That was, I believe, the best three-man team college hoops has ever seen. I spoke with McDonough at the team hotel in Atlanta at the 2013 Final Four (thanks again, Joyce!), and he couldn't have been nicer--though he seemed to have seen the end coming for that trio.

Sort of forgot how fun Jonny Flynn was. Hope we land Quade Green and he has a similar impact.

Thanks for this. I completely agree, these three were great together and my favorite trio as well.

http://www.totalsportek.com/money/highest-paid-sportscaster-analyst-commentators/

MIKE TIRICO – $3 million

somewhat surprising, if true - i assumed he made $5mil at ESPN. IF the $3 mil number is accurate (and article says Costas and Michaels each make $5mil) i guess Tirico would be making closer to $5-$6 mil at NBC, lower than my initial guess of $7.5-10 mil.

People are interested in the content more than the emcee.

People are leaving out that Tirico is also represented by an SU alum, Sandy Montag.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom