Spoke to Nets' Director of Player Personnel Re: Mali & Silent G | Syracusefan.com

Spoke to Nets' Director of Player Personnel Re: Mali & Silent G

OttosBestFriend

2nd String
Said the Nets loved Malachi and seriously considered him at #20. Likes his ability to get off own shot and thinks he will be in league for a long time. Went with Lavert because of his larger body of work/greater experience (100+ games in 4 years at Michigan) while only being 16 months older than the frosh, Malachi.

As for Silent G, he said Mike does everything well and thinks he landed in good spot with Pistons. Not that you all don't know this by now, but age was a definite turnoff for several teams. Said that if MG were 21 instead of 24, he'd have gone at end of Round 1. Ended by going out of his way to mention that Gbinije is a VERY high character guy that coaching staffs and front offices could trust.

In a non-Syracuse note, he also mentioned that with some time and coaching, the Nets feel that Isiah Whitehead could turn out to be a very good NBA PG.

Said the Nets loved Malachi and seriously considered him at #20. Likes his ability to get off own shot and thinks he will be in league for a long time. Went with Lavert because of his larger body of work/greater experience (100+ games in 4 years at Michigan) while only being 16 months older than the frosh, Malachi.

As for Silent G, he said Mike does everything well and thinks he landed in good spot with Pistons. Not that you all don't know this by now, but age was a definite turnoff for several teams. Said that if MG were 21 instead of 24, he'd have gone at end of Round 1. Ended by going out of his way to mention that Gbinije is a VERY high character guy that coaching staffs and front offices could trust.

In a non-Syracuse note, he also mentioned that with some time and coaching, the Nets feel that Isiah Whitehead could turn out to be a very good NBA PG.

Did he say anything about CMC?

I'll believe it when I see it on Whitehead. Reminds me of a clone of Lance Stephenson.

Stevenson and Whitehead were very talented, highly rated recruits with excellent size for guards and they played college at Cinci/Hall respectively. That tells you something right there.

most of these kids last 2-5 yrs why is age any issue? if he lasted 7-8 yrs he would still be young. they get replaced, cost too much, or the body wears out.

The age thing is such a joke. If im picking i would load up with the older guys. They are proven stronger more mature and game ready. Yet they take a young kid and do what? They age him in the D league. Crazy dumb

The age thing is such a joke. If im picking i would load up with the older guys. They are proven stronger more mature and game ready. Yet they take a young kid and do what? They age him in the D league. Crazy dumb
One other point. How young are the Cavs or spurs!

I think Whitehead could do some damage in the NBA. He's a bigger, more physical Kemba. I wouldn't count out Whitehead. He jumps out at you on TV whenever watching him play. He can ball.

most of these kids last 2-5 yrs why is age any issue? if he lasted 7-8 yrs he would still be young. they get replaced, cost too much, or the body wears out.

Agreed. It really isn't even a factor once you get past the top grouping in the draft.

You can put a lot more projection on a 20 year old than a 23 year old or whatever. I don't think it's ridiculous to value that. it is entirely possible NBA front offices put too much emphasis on age when drafting.

it would be an interesting study to look back at how many of these kids really improve in such a huge way as they age. the top ones pretty much come in ready or bust. the top of the draft isnt all projects, its the reaches that you need to project improvement for and thats so hit and miss i dont think its age thats the real issue. who are the kids willing to work once they get there.

it would be an interesting study to look back at how many of these kids really improve in such a huge way as they age. the top ones pretty much come in ready or bust. the top of the draft isnt all projects, its the reaches that you need to project improvement for and thats so hit and miss i dont think its age thats the real issue. who are the kids willing to work once they get there.

Is age a factor in the NBA draft?

You think so? It seems to me even the best of the best aren't as good as rookies as they are after a few years in the league.

yes. but even then most are gone after a few years. so you have 2-3 of development and then hopefully a few of higher level play.. is that worth more than someone who comes in older and starts at a higher level and then doesnt improve as much? even in college look at the teams that make runs not with more talented players but with a group of older more consistent players.

after all most of the NBA is dominated by players that come in a pretty high level. you get the few who come out of no where but is that always an age thing or is it a numbers thing with so many more young reaches drafted?

Watched a lot of Nets games last year, for better or worse (mostly worse). Not sure what McCullough will do in the NBA. Needs to get A LOT stronger and is very raw in certain areas that are key. Has NBA size and length but everything else needs work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom