Sports Business Daily: Fox- Big Ten close to 6 yr 1.5 billion deal for 1/2 Big Ten rights | Syracusefan.com

Sports Business Daily: Fox- Big Ten close to 6 yr 1.5 billion deal for 1/2 Big Ten rights

Alsacs

Living Legend
http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2016/04/19/Big-Ten.aspx

So the Big Ten will likely sell the other half to ESPN or NBC.

Their old deal was 10 years 1 billion with ESPN.

Now they are looking at a new deal of 6 years 3 billion dollars for all of their rights.

In 2013 the ACC amended their contract with ESPN for 15 years 4 billion.

The Big Ten will get more money but the gaps won't be ungodly huge. The Big Ten will get more because of the BTN cash cow.

Big Ten rights will be thru 2023 while the ACC rights are thru 2029. That is the problem. The ACC had to give up years to get more money.

That is assuming that number is legit...it could be off.

ESPN wasn't going to get into a bidding war.

More Cuse games on better channels...I hope

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Closing-Bell/2016/04/19/Big-Ten.aspx

So the Big Ten will likely sell the other half to ESPN or NBC.

Their old deal was 10 years 1 billion with ESPN.

Now they are looking at a new deal of 6 years 3 billion dollars for all of their rights.

In 2013 the ACC amended their contract with ESPN for 15 years 4 billion

The Big Ten will get more money but the gaps won't be ungodly huge. The Big Ten will get more because of the BTN cash cow.

Big Ten rights will be thru 2023 while the ACC rights are thru 2029. That is the problem. The ACC had to give up years to get more money.
Quick math, then, says Big Ten gets $500 million per year while ACC gets about $266.6 million per year. Ouch. That hurts especially when you consider that the ACC has to wait an additional 6 years to get out of their contract.

Quick math, then, says Big Ten gets $500 million per year while ACC gets about $266.6 million per year. Ouch. That hurts especially when you consider that the ACC has to wait an additional 6 years to get out of their contract.
Aren't there five year "look ins," to augment the contract based on performance? If so, the ACC has done well for itself over the last several years and perhaps gets a boost, albeit not anything that will rival those supposed numbers from the B10.

That article says Fox will pay the B1G a maximum of 250 million per year. It is tied to number of games they get. The article also says that the second contract might cover less games than what Fox will get.

From this, I am assuming the B1G will only get 250 million per year from Fox if they give Fox more than half the content available. Which is going to make the second contract worth less than 250 million.

The thing I am most interested in regard how much content the B1G gives Fox. Given the absolutely dismal ratings the Big East has gotten on the Fox channels, the B1G has to be reluctant to give even 50% of their available games to Fox. You want cash and national exposure and if a significant percentage of their games are on Fox, how many will it hurt their exposure and the perception of the league?

I expect Fox gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-33% of the content and ESPN gets the rest. Fox will end up paying around 125 million per year. ESPN will end up paying around 250 million a year and the B1G will end up getting around 375 million per year for the six year window we are discussing.

If the rumors about ESPN upping the ante to ACC schools by 3 million per school if an ACC network in not in place this summer, the gap between the conferences is even less...the ACC goes up over 300 million per year.

Not great but significantly better than the way things looked when the B1G was recruiting schools to their conference with super optimistic projections of revenue.

I am also interested to see what happens to the B1G Network as cord cutters continue to erode their audience each day.

That article says Fox will pay the B1G a maximum of 250 million per year. It is tied to number of games they get. The article also says that the second contract might cover less games than what Fox will get.

From this, I am assuming the B1G will only get 250 million per year from Fox if they give Fox more than half the content available. Which is going to make the second contract worth less than 250 million.

The thing I am most interested in regard how much content the B1G gives Fox. Given the absolutely dismal ratings the Big East has gotten on the Fox channels, the B1G has to be reluctant to give even 50% of their available games to Fox. You want cash and national exposure and if a significant percentage of their games are on Fox, how many will it hurt their exposure and the perception of the league?

I expect Fox gets somewhere in the neighborhood of 25-33% of the content and ESPN gets the rest. Fox will end up paying around 125 million per year. ESPN will end up paying around 250 million a year and the B1G will end up getting around 375 million per year for the six year window we are discussing.

If the rumors about ESPN upping the ante to ACC schools by 3 million per school if an ACC network in not in place this summer, the gap between the conferences is even less...the ACC goes up over 300 million per year.

Not great but significantly better than the way things looked when the B1G was recruiting schools to their conference with super optimistic projections of revenue.

I am also interested to see what happens to the B1G Network as cord cutters continue to erode their audience each day.

This is quite a different for interpretation than anyone else is making right now...for the ACC's sake, hopefully you'll be right.

I think B1G is going to come close to doubling ACC revenues, if nothing changes for the ACC, and I'm not sure what can.

I have heard the ACC after the renegotiation with ESPN in 2013 gets about 325 million per year.

The Big Ten is looking at 500 million per year.

That is going to be the gap. Along with the BTN.

12.5 million from TV and plus a profit of about 50 million from the BTN 3.5 million per team.

The Big Ten will make about 16 million more per year. Without the NCAA tournament credits factored in. The ACC will basically get the BTN windfall per team from the NCAA tournament shares this year but the extra 12.5 million is going to be the gap each year. The ACC needs to perform in March.

ACC signed a bad deal in 2011. They locked in until 2028 with ESPN. The ACC will be on par with the Pac-12 and Big XII but behind the SEC/Big Ten.

To assume the B1G will get the same value as the alleged Fox deal from ESPN is highly unlikely. Fox will want the best games to boost ratings, or first choice, not the Illinois/Indiana games. There is no way Fox pays top dollar for less than the best available games. ESPN is not going to pay top dollar for crap games either.

And what would happen if ESPN lowballs the B1G? They would miss out on the largest sports platform. Would their name even be spoken on ESPN?

This may be more of a ploy where Fox has 50% but never really wants more tha n 25%-35% and the B1G knows they have to market the lesser games. There is a large slidi g scale with the B1G getting all the love, which really does not materialize as fantasized.

And what would happen if ESPN lowballs the B1G? They would miss out on the largest sports platform. Would their name even be spoken on ESPN?

The NHL did it - they thought that ESPN would pay up given that they didn't have the NBA and needed the NHL for content.

ESPN told them to go pound sand. Another great move by Gary Bettman, who I am consistently is amazed has lasted this long while being hated in every traditional hockey market so much.

The NHL did it - they thought that ESPN would pay up given that they didn't have the NBA and needed the NHL for content.

ESPN told them to go pound sand. Another great move by Gary Bettman, who I am consistently is amazed has lasted this long while being hated in every traditional hockey market so much.

NHL is getting a much better deal from NBC. It does not need ESPN. I do not understand the hatred for Bettman amongst Americans. Canadians hate him because they want him to move teams out of the US. He's been a very good commissioner for the league, and for USA hockey. Hence why he has held the job for so long.

NHL is getting a much better deal from NBC. It does not need ESPN. I do not understand the hatred for Bettman amongst Americans. Canadians hate him because they want him to move teams out of the US. He's been a very good commissioner for the league, and for USA hockey. Hence why he has held the job for so long.

I, and along with many, hate him because he's destroyed the game. The product on the ice is now a hot, steaming, pile of garbage. All so he can try to get more hockey fans in Raleigh, North Carolina and Phoenix, Arizona.

I only watch the playoffs because of the logo on the front of the sweater. Hockey is a bastardized shell of its former self as far as the actual game is concerned.

I, and along with many, hate him because he's destroyed the game. The product on the ice is now a hot, steaming, pile of garbage. All so he can try to get more hockey fans in Raleigh, North Carolina and Phoenix, Arizona.

I only watch the playoffs because of the logo on the front of the sweater. Hockey is a bastardized shell of its former self as far as the actual game is concerned.
Sorry you feel that way. I guess you'll have to continue living in the past. NHL has more fans currently than any point in your glory years.

By the way, future stud number one overall pick Auston Matthews hometown...? Scottsdale, AZ.

To assume the B1G will get the same value as the alleged Fox deal from ESPN is highly unlikely. Fox will want the best games to boost ratings, or first choice, not the Illinois/Indiana games. There is no way Fox pays top dollar for less than the best available games. ESPN is not going to pay top dollar for crap games either.

This may be more of a ploy where Fox has 50% but never really wants more tha n 25%-35% and the B1G knows they have to market the lesser games. There is a large slidi g scale with the B1G getting all the love, which really does not materialize as fantasized.
ESPN will not lowball the Big Ten. They don't want FS1's ratings to go up. If Fox has the Big Ten it will legitimize FS1.
ESPN will likely pay the 250 million for half of the rights. As right now FOX/ESPN split the Big XII football rights and Pac-12 basketball and football rights.

ESPN owns all of the ACC, half of the Pac-12, all of Big XII basketball and half of football, all of the SEC basketball and all of football except the Tier 1 game on CBS.

ESPN needs half of the Big Ten or else a lot of ACC football games will be on TV.

Sorry you feel that way. I guess you'll have to continue living in the past. NHL has more fans currently than any point in your glory years.

By the way, future stud number one overall pick Auston Matthews hometown...? Scottsdale, AZ.

The NHL has downgraded itself to try and appeal more to new southern markets to save franchises placed there. Bettman has turned fine bourbon into Miller Lite just to get more people to drink it.

There's a reason Bettman is near universally hated throughout the markets with fans that actually know hockey.

Hockey is a good live sport but not a great TV sport. Also the Pat Burns New Jersey Devils neutral zone trap of the mid 1990's killed the sport.

Teams became too defensive and not as skillful.

Florida should not have 2 teams while Quebec has 1.

Arizona, and Florida should move to Canada.

The NHL has downgraded itself to try and appeal more to new southern markets to save franchises placed there. Bettman has turned fine bourbon into Miller Lite just to get more people to drink it.

There's a reason Bettman is near universally hated throughout the markets with fans that actually know hockey.
I can't debate with someone who's line of thinking is more people interested in/playing hockey = bad.

I can't debate with someone who's line of thinking is more people interested in/playing hockey = bad.

No, you can't argue with someone who actually understands the game more than YAY GOALZ!!!1!!1!!

As long as more people play, it doesn't matter how idiotic the game has become, I guess. Feel free to enjoy the dumbed down version of a great game that you have been sold. You seem like exactly the sap that Bettman is selling to.

No, you can't argue with someone who actually understands the game more than YAY GOALZ!!!1!!1!!

As long as more people play, it doesn't matter how idiotic the game has become, I guess. Feel free to enjoy the dumbed down version of a great game that you have been sold. You seem like exactly the sap that Bettman is selling to.
What exactly happened? How was hockey ruined or degraded?
(I'm not arguing. I honestly know next to nothing about the sport.)

Some non-hockey related links on the topic...

Frank the Tank's Take

It has been a couple of days since the news broke from Sports Business Daily that Fox is poised to enter into a deal with the Big Ten for 50% of the packages that are currently on ABC/ESPN (football and basketball) and CBS (basketball)… for up to $250 million per year for 6 years.

Once again, this is just for half of the Big Ten rights that are up for grabs, which would provide for 25 football games and 50 basketball games on over-the-air broadcast Fox (“Big Fox”) and FS1. As observers such as Matt Sarzyniak have noted (who has a great post on the overall dynamics of the Big Ten deal), that amount is approximately the amount that the Pac-12 receives for its entire non-Pac-12 network package.

In effect, we’re about to enter into a world where Rutgers and Northwestern are going to earn significantly more TV money than Florida State, Oklahoma, USC and even Alabama and Notre Dame. The Big Ten schools were already ahead before through its creation of the BTN (which everyone should remember how bold and risky that move was a decade ago compared to taking guaranteed money from ESPN), but the gap is going to be blown through the roof if the conference ends up with around $500 million per year for its TV rights without even taking into account the BTN portion. I have had plenty of critiques of Jim Delany and the Big Ten leadership over the years, but their management of TV and media properties has been pitch perfect for the past ten years and far beyond the capabilities (both quantitative and qualitative) of the other power conferences.

Dennis Dodd's Take

The Big Ten is close to signing a surprisingly short six-year deal with Fox for half its media rights, according to Sports Business Journal.

The Big Ten was the last major conference to renegotiate its rights in the current cycle. Sources were split on whether the Big Ten would break the bank because of the value of its 14-school assets or merely earn a modest increase.

SBJ reported that Fox will pay as much as $250 million per year for the rights to approximately 25 football games and 50 basketball games.

Signing only a six-year deal, “probably means [the Big Ten] didn't get the money they wanted,” one source said.

One industry insider told CBS Sports that Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany sought a long-term deal through 2032. There may not have been the money in the market for such a deal, or Delany may have strategically tried to line up the next deal close to when NFL deals expire with CBS, Fox and NBC after the 2022 season when, theoretically, more money could be available in the market.

The Big Ten's reported new deal with Fox would go through the 2022-23 season. It includes more of the conference's basketball and football games on Fox and Fox Sports 1.

Several industry experts said Big Ten basketball coaches were closely watching the negotiations. Anything that meant fewer games on longtime partners ESPN and CBS would be viewed negatively by the coaches.

One wonders what will happen to the NNNBE when its current contract with Fox expires. Fox paid handsomely to get some initial content for FS1, FS2, etc.. Now that it'll have B1G content as well, one would think that there will be a reduction in absorption of NNNBE content.

One wonders what will happen to the NNNBE when its current contract with Fox expires. Fox paid handsomely to get some initial content for FS1, FS2, etc.. Now that it'll have B1G content as well, one would think that there will be a reduction in absorption of NNNBE content.
The B12 and Pac12 have football and basketball games on the Fox networks too.

Since the rumored deal with Fox calls for B1G content on Fox and FS1 only, industry experts are speculating that the other conferences are going to have many of their games relegated to FS2.

From the perspective of the ACC, I think the most games that are televised on the Fox channels, the better. That leaves more time slots on the ESPN channels for the ACC.

sutomcat said:
The B12 and Pac12 have football and basketball games on the Fox networks too.

Since the rumored deal with Fox calls for B1G content on Fox and FS1 only, industry experts are speculating that the other conferences are going to have many of their games relegated to FS2.

From the perspective of the ACC, I think the most games that are televised on the Fox channels, the better. That leaves more time slots on the ESPN channels for the ACC.

Exactly. The worst thing for the ACC would have been ESPN over paying for their top tier games. There's no way they are going to give the B1G crazy money for games that the BTN would yawn over.

25 games for FOX means Network Fox would get 1 game per week for college football weeks and FS1 would get 11 games for the network.

Big Ten Network is going to keep the 3rd tier right games.

ESPN is likely going to pay the 250 million and split with the FOX the good tier 1 games.

While the Big Ten is getting paid they aren't getting as much as they projected and that is why Dennis Dodd rightfully said they are taking a shorter deal to get their rights up for sale again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom