Stadium Food | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Stadium Food

Couldn't agree more. go O's!!!!!

I am actually going to a bullfight in Cancun, Mexico tonight.

The building it is in looks like one of the basketball domes.

The actual start time of the fight (If you can call it that) is 9:00pm. But we have been told to show up by 8:30pm at least so we can drink tequila for half an hour or so. The guy who gave us the tickets assured us that this tequila (and/or beer) consumption was an integral and necessary part of going. Maybe it takes the edge off seeing the gore.

I will not be eating any food that's offered for sale in the arena. The Mexicans pay too little attention to safety in any area for my tastes (food safety, traffic safety, condition of sidewalks. etc).

Townie72 said:
5 characters vs. 12, I guess. Sort of the same reason we call it "The Dome" instead of the "The Carrier Dome". In conversation, most do say "Camden Yards". I'll admit, the first time I read "OPACY", I couldn't figure out what the writer was referring to.
Actually I have never written it that way, and was following your lead with OPCY. :)

When speaking I say Camden yards.

They need to do something like Nat's park does here in DC and incorporate a few of the local restaurants with a long history in Syracuse... can you imagine Dinosaur BBQ at the Dome? They would literally sell out of their concessions every game.
First time I had 5 Guys was at that park. When they franchised to Utah I was a big evangelist for them because of getting a burger at the Nats stadium when I was in town on some business.

If we win , we eat the same thing next game.. i was running out of options by year end for fball.. bball is going pretty well.

Back near gate E lower level they have been serving great food. I've had chicken tenders, sweet potato fries, onion rings, and a pretzel twist bread that has been awesome. I found it a few months ago and its been my main staple for Dome food. The lines seem to have been getting longer since I've been going there almost exclusively.

chakka3421 said:
Back near gate E lower level they have been serving great food. I've had chicken tenders, sweet potato fries, onion rings, and a pretzel twist bread that has been awesome. I found it a few months ago and its been my main staple for Dome food. The lines seem to have been getting longer since I've been going there almost exclusively.
That is a nice stand, relatively speaking. They are NOWHERE NEAR good, they're just better than everything else.

Townie72 said:
I am actually going to a bullfight in Cancun, Mexico tonight. The building it is in looks like one of the basketball domes. The actual start time of the fight (If you can call it that) is 9:00pm. But we have been told to show up by 8:30pm at least so we can drink tequila for half an hour or so. The guy who gave us the tickets assured us that this tequila (and/or beer) consumption was an integral and necessary part of going. Maybe it takes the edge off seeing the gore. I will not be eating any food that's offered for sale in the arena. The Mexicans pay too little attention to safety in any area for my tastes (food safety, traffic safety, condition of sidewalks. etc).
not sure what to make of this post its kinda intense and kinda wth ish

When I worked Dome concessions in the '90s the dogs were NOT grilled. They were either boiled or steamed, I forget which, but don't tell me you have ever seen a grill mark on one of those meat tubes.

OrangeTarheel said:
When I worked Dome concessions in the '90s the dogs were NOT grilled. They were either boiled or steamed, I forget which, but don't tell me you have ever seen a grill mark on one of those meat tubes.

Nobody said they were grilled then. They switched to grilled in the last 10 years or so.

I miss the old Dome Dogs. True story, I invited a buddy of mine to a football game eons ago. He found out that Dome Dogs weren't being served, ... He cancelled on me!

Nothing beats the super nachos ( double cheese / extra jalapenos ) a Cooney with spicy mustard and about 8 beers. No stadium comes close in terms of prices and return on investment.

Glad I saw your post. Was just about to respond to Tomcat about how much people seem to love the nachos. Even when I tune into a game, they've always seemingly got a camera on someone munching down on those nachos. I don't know if it's in hope of a Costanza moment or what but clearly that's something you can't take off the menu.

Definitely gone downhill over the years. The Italian stand in the back corner and Burger King were at least options. Not the best but at least something different. Dinosaur - Hinerwadls salt potatoes - Gianelli sausage - Twin Trees pizza - Beak & Skiff apple fritters - Finger Lakes wine - Lupos spiedies - Grandma Brown Beans - any Italian restaurant - Wegmans subs and sushi. So many iconic foods to choose from.

And while not necessarily near and dear to this group's heart (and waistlines) the healthy options are now virtually non-existent. Used to be able to get a salad from the Italian stand, turkey wraps, grilled chicken sandwiches. I'm not sure there is anything that you could even pretend is a healthy option available now.

Definitely gone downhill over the years. The Italian stand in the back corner and Burger King were at least options. Not the best but at least something different. Dinosaur - Hinerwadls salt potatoes - Gianelli sausage - Twin Trees pizza - Beak & Skiff apple fritters - Finger Lakes wine - Lupos spiedies - Grandma Brown Beans - any Italian restaurant - Wegmans subs and sushi. So many iconic foods to choose from.

And while not necessarily near and dear to this group's heart (and waistlines) the healthy options are now virtually non-existent. Used to be able to get a salad from the Italian stand, turkey wraps, grilled chicken sandwiches. I'm not sure there is anything that you could even pretend is a healthy option available now.
Beer is made from hops. Hops are plants. From plants, we make salad. Therefore, beer = salad! There's your healthy option. :D

Nobody said they were grilled then. They switched to grilled in the last 10 years or so.
They are a soggy mess with black grill lines on them. They are slightly better then the boiled junk they had years ago. The problem is they are not fresh from the grill, into a bun and to my waiting hands. The condensation from the foil bag makes it nasty.

oldpinepoint said:
They are a soggy mess with black grill lines on them. They are slightly better then the boiled junk they had years ago. The problem is they are not fresh from the grill, into a bun and to my waiting hands. The condensation from the foil bag makes it nasty.

I have a coney every once in awhile and they aren't that bad. Of course they would be better if hot off the grill into my mouth. But they aren't a soggy mess anymore and it's sometimes over grilled with a lot of "black lines" which is the way I like them.

I have a coney every once in awhile and they aren't that bad. Of course they would be better if hot off the grill into my mouth. But they aren't a soggy mess anymore and it's sometimes over grilled with a lot of "black lines" which is the way I like them.
hopefully if the redesign the dome they should move the concession stands to the outside of the dome so they could grill them fresh. That part of the fan experience is in need of an improvement.

How can anyone possibly eat at the Dome after a Fine Mess feed?! Good grief!
Definitely...I usually just get a soda or beer at the game. Rather have Coke products than Pepsi...just me though.

TexanMark said:
Definitely...I usually just get a soda or beer at the game. Rather have Coke products than Pepsi...just me though.

I only eat anything at all at the Dome during bball season. During football, it's just something to drink.

rrlbees said:
I only eat anything at all at the Dome during bball season. During football, it's just something to drink.

I'm the same generally. I eat in the quad before the game, and almost always nothing other than a drink during. Basketball is usually in evening after dinner anyway. But wow, when you HAVE to eat there, you're screwed.

I was actually working a project with Coca Cola in Atlanta when Cuse switched from Coke to Pepsi products. The exclusive pouring rights at venues is a very competitive marketing component between these two. When we took the client oput to dinner or brought in treats we had to check first and ensure that the restaurant served Coke products only. All of my contact in Atlanta knew I was an ardent Cuse fan, of course, so I explained to them that in solidarity with our partnership I would only drink beer at games from that point forward.

I was actually working a project with Coca Cola in Atlanta when Cuse switched from Coke to Pepsi products. The exclusive pouring rights at venues is a very competitive marketing component between these two. When we took the client oput to dinner or brought in treats we had to check first and ensure that the restaurant served Coke products only. All of my contact in Atlanta knew I was an ardent Cuse fan, of course, so I explained to them that in solidarity with our partnership I would only drink beer at games from that point forward.
diet Mountain Dew was the best thing they did in ten years at the dome.

Consigliere said:
Definitely gone downhill over the years. The Italian stand in the back corner and Burger King were at least options. Not the best but at least something different. Dinosaur - Hinerwadls salt potatoes - Gianelli sausage - Twin Trees pizza - Beak & Skiff apple fritters - Finger Lakes wine - Lupos spiedies - Grandma Brown Beans - any Italian restaurant - Wegmans subs and sushi. So many iconic foods to choose from. And while not necessarily near and dear to this group's heart (and waistlines) the healthy options are now virtually non-existent. Used to be able to get a salad from the Italian stand, turkey wraps, grilled chicken sandwiches. I'm not sure there is anything that you could even pretend is a healthy option available now.

When will we see a stuffed hot pepper stand?

I would die for Twin Trees, Dinosaur, Sal's Fish Fry, Blarney Burger, J Ryans Nachos, Shifty's wings and Clark's Beef Sandwich. These are all stands that should be serving food in the dome at some point. I tailgate for all of the football games and food inside the cathedral isn't usually needed but during basketball season on a Tuesday night at 7pm? Yeah, I would love to have one of the above options to go with my Middle Ages IPA. What a dream it would be to get to the dome early, have some GOOD grub and a decent beer or two before you went to your seat.