Starting Lineup - Any Controversy ??? | Syracusefan.com

Starting Lineup - Any Controversy ???

newmexicuse

All Conference
C - X
Forwards - McC & Roberson
Guards - Joseph & Cooney

G possibly gets big minutes (maybe even more than some of the starters), but more as a jack of all trades swingman than as a starter at any particular position.

DC2 might start if healthy, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Leaves Chino, BJ, and Patterson. We will need Chino to be able to provide 5 to 10 solid minutes at the 5 spot or we will be playing small a chunk of the time. We need either BJ or Patterson to provide some instant o off the bench. In my world I could find a role for both if they improve incrementally. In Jimmy's world, I think one them hugs pine.

I don't think there is any controversy. Actually I hate the word controversy given the last few years on the Hill. I think you mean is there any competition or debate regarding who the starting lineup will be. Unfortunately, probably not, but we sure could use some to get things to pick up around here.

So how about BJ starts at either the 2 or 3....discuss.

With starting mccullough and roberson one will need to be a perimeter scorer. JB almost always plays one forward perimeter and one inside more. BJ and Gbinije are more perimeter forwards.

I hope Kaleb has a isolation guy to work with to take the pressure off of him.
Dajuans health is also a big question, as he used to start. And if we have roberson and mcullough out there with him, we will have three guys near the paint, where bj and gbinije would be more on the perimeter at forward

Cooney and rak being best of friends, and upperclassmen, I wouldn't be surprised to see them working together more.

Last edited:
I think we see them all get plenty of run in the early season and things start to become more defined as conference starts. This year reminds me of the 2011 team the year after we lost Wes, AO, Andy, and DaShonte. That is the year were they discussed JB for the first time running 10 players but it ended up being 8, as always, by conference time.

That year we had Mookie who had sat the bench the year before, KJo as a Jr having had a bit of a break out year the year before (although the respect for Wes had a major part for his success), Rick J and Scoop as Sr.'s, Brandon Triche as a So. and then a bunch of new guys like Waiters, CJ, Keita, Melo. Everyone got a ton of run at the beginning of the season. I forgot about Southerland. I think that was the year he came into one of the first games and drilled like 6+ threes. By the end of the year it ended up being

JB gave significant run at the begging of the season to all the guys with all get 12+ minutes per-game but by conference, Melo and Mookie were pretty much out of the line-up, Waiters,Southerland, and BMK got the majority of backup minutes at about 15 a game. The starters ended up being RJ, CJ, KJ, Scoop, and BT. That was the year Dion really got himself in the dog house. I also think that was the year that many were upset about Mookie not getting more run but I think that was every year. :) He was like the myth of the white unicorn or the backup QB maybe both combined.

We are locked in the guard rotation with Cooney and Joseph as starters and Mike backing them up. I think Patterson is Mookie here and sadly will transfer. I do wish I could see more of him. From what I have seen, in the few minutes he has played, he has shown a spark and shot pretty well. I think JB sticks with his guys like it or not for better or worse and that is that. Although it has gotten him almost 1000 wins I do thing, like everyone, it is okay to disagree with him about things.

The front court is going to be the interesting part. We know that the two starters for sure are going to be Roberson and Rak. We also know that CM is going to be given the keys to the Lexus for better or worse. We have all heard that he can be lights on or lights out and that he can become disinterested at times. This is one thing that drives JB up the wall. There could be a real butting of heads ala Waiters with CM this year although we all know about the famous JB leash with some being longer some shorter. If that happens, we will see Mike play more SF with Roberson at the PF.

The wild card this year is going to be BJ. From all accounts he played well this summer in his trip overseas. I was not impressed what I saw from him last year and this is not a knock on him because he got no meaningful time (should have red shirted him). The few times he did come in, he just launched threes and did not shot them well although he has a nice looking stroke. I am not faulting him for this at all because he was given the garbage time of garbage time. I would like to see him take it to the hole. I would suggested we did not see even the tip of he iceberg with him. I am not trying to knock BJ, it was what it was last year.

I know most of us catch ourselves about questioning JB because he is a hall of famer , but I have to admit I think it was unwise to not give more players run last year. I am excited of the reports I have heard about him. I think he and Roberson really could have benefited from getting more run and becoming acclimated to the college game. Mike and BJ could be interchangeable and I think will have to be. I don't see CM as being the next Melo and coming in with the polished game or with the desire of Melo. Hopefully I am wrong and he has been just bored playing in the HS level.

If CM gets in hot water, Mike or BJ will have to play the SF (probably Mike) with one or the other backing up the 2 guard. If CM and Cooney are both off well...

As far as the center position, I am not putting any weight on having Coleman back until I see for sure he is. It is going to be an interesting year there this year with no depth at the backup. If things get bad, I see Roberson sliding there like he did a couple of dire times last year.

Cooney has to, has to, has to make shots and if he isn't or if he is not getting good looks using his driving ability. We cannot have the season in the second half that we did last year. I understand the reason he numbers went down is because he was getting more pressure but that is when he needed to use his driving ability more frequently which he proved he had. That being said, we need more players to hit the three to open the middle. This is what has hurt us the last few years.

It is going to be an interesting year and again much like 2011. At one point that year we were ranked 3rd in the nation until we took our famous mid season slide. Unfortunately, we also lost to the hacks of Marquette where they were allowed to mug us to end the season.

My prediction for the season is that we don't see Coleman, Patterson and CM leave. I hope I am wrong on all accounts. If Coleman is able to play meaningful minutes this year, this team will be much different.

Last edited:
I don't think there is any controversy. Actually I hate the word controversy given the last few years on the Hill. I think you mean is there any competition or debate regarding who the starting lineup will be. Unfortunately, probably not, but we sure could use some to get things to pick up around here.

So how about BJ starts at either the 2 or 3...discuss.
For BJ to start at the 2 or the 3 that would mean that Cooney (somewhat proven commodity & over adored by Jimmy) or McC or Roberson really bombed. Even then, BJ would have to improve enough to be close to Mike G to get a starters nod, despite the fact that I think Jimmy likes Mike coming off the bench due to his versatility.

The role for BJ should be instant O off the bench. If he doesn't provide that he will be stuck on the bench. The role for Patterson should be instant energy off the bench as opposed to instant O. Room for both in the rotation, but as I said in the OP, I doubt Jimmy will give both of them run once the conference schedule starts.

Only possible change in that lineup could maybe be Silent G starting at the 3. Otherwise, you can't really argue against the PG, SG, PF, or C positions based on either 1) experience, 2) potential, 3) necessity.

C - X
Forwards - McC & Roberson
Guards - Joseph & Cooney

G possibly gets big minutes (maybe even more than some of the starters), but more as a jack of all trades swingman than as a starter at any particular position.

DC2 might start if healthy, but that seems pretty unlikely.

Leaves Chino, BJ, and Patterson. We will need Chino to be able to provide 5 to 10 solid minutes at the 5 spot or we will be playing small a chunk of the time. We need either BJ or Patterson to provide some instant o off the bench. In my world I could find a role for both if they improve incrementally. In Jimmy's world, I think one them hugs pine.
Not much debate about the expected starters.
But they add up to a big question mark.
I can't recall the last time we had so many inexperienced players who will have to come through big time.

Much may depend on Rak's game. Would be nice to see him take a big step.

Only possible change in that lineup could maybe be Silent G starting at the 3. Otherwise, you can't really argue against the PG, SG, PF, or C positions based on either 1) experience, 2) potential, 3) necessity.
could possibly see that happen (G starting at the 3) but I'd have to think TR would not be a happy camper if he's not starting

I agree with pretty much everything that was said here, the only variation I could see is possibly JB starting G at pg.

It is perhaps the most wide open situation for playing time in a long time. The scope and wide range of performance for this coming season larger and wider than we've ever seen. This team could coalesce into one of the best teams in the country or they could have trouble finding the right mixture of personnel and playing time and have a mediocre season. I'm hoping that JB provides everyone ample time to show what they can do and these kids will rise to the challenge such that significant minutes are given to at least 8 players and perhaps even 9+.

What I'd really like to see is BJ break out big time and turn into a significant contributor. I think he could be the difference maker in this upcoming season and surprise people with his talent, athletic gifts, and temperament. There certainly is a lot of talent... it will be really fun to watch this team as it moves through the season.

Last edited:
For BJ to start at the 2 or the 3 that would mean that Cooney (somewhat proven commodity & over adored by Jimmy) or McC or Roberson really bombed. Even then, BJ would have to improve enough to be close to Mike G to get a starters nod, despite the fact that I think Jimmy likes Mike coming off the bench due to his versatility.

The role for BJ should be instant O off the bench. If he doesn't provide that he will be stuck on the bench. The role for Patterson should be instant energy off the bench as opposed to instant O. Room for both in the rotation, but as I said in the OP, I doubt Jimmy will give both of them run once the conference schedule starts.

I'll make these predictions.

-Mike G will not start, unless Joseph absolutely bombs and he has to start at the point.
-Patterson will be 9th or 10th man, he isn't going to be instant anything.
-50% chance that only one of McCullough or Roberson starts. I haven't seen enough of McCullough to be confident in a prediction here, but it seems like their games are too similar and it may leave us with three guys clogging up the offense inside of 8 feet - Rak, Roberson & McCullough.

-Mike G will not start, unless Joseph absolutely bombs and he has to start at the point.
-50% chance that only one of McCullough or Roberson starts. I haven't seen enough of McCullough to be confident in a prediction here, but it seems like their games are too similar and it may leave us with three guys clogging up the offense inside of 8 feet - Rak, Roberson & McCullough.

I don't see McCullough and Roberson as similar at all. Roberson's strengths are rebounding and playing around the basket. Roberson needs to be more consistent on the perimeter. McCullough is Donte Greene in the half court and a good guy running the floor and finishing on the break. CMac is pretty soft and doesn't do the dirty work stuff Roberson relishes.

Last edited:
I think the OP's starting line up is correct. I like that starting unit for a few of reasons.

1. Kaleb is the only pure PG and will be playing that position when it matters so why not start him there.
2. Rak knows he is the man at the 5 from the get go (this is assuming DC2 is not going to be ready) which hasn't been the case in his first 3 seasons and he won't be spending time at the 4.
3. It means BJ can be subbed for either forward if they need a teaching moment. It means MikeG can be subbed for either guard. In other words its sets up a nice rotation for a young team.

My main concerns are still MikeG's minutes as a PG when Kaleb sits and how Chino can perform in the backup 5 role. Also obviously depth at both positions. They may be more than adequate and even good in these roles but we need to see it.

Unless BJ has had a body snatcher experience he is not a 4. Can you imagine him boxing out your typical wide body brutish PF? However, his Estonia play shows that he deserves a chance to show what he can do at the 2 or 3. Still not sold on MC holding up for a season or on MG becoming a more aggressive scorer. If we need a scoring burst, which we did last year, BJ might be the answer. Patterson has high energy but he makes me nervous.

Unless BJ has had a body snatcher experience he is not a 4. Can you imagine him boxing out your typical wide body brutish PF? His Estonia play shows that he deserves a chance to show what he can do at the 2 or 3. Still not sold on MC holding up for a season or on MG becoming a more aggressive scorer. If we need a scoring burst, which we did last year, BJ might be the answer.

Agreed he's a 2/3 and with this years personnel likely a 3. That said he can sub for either Tyler or Chris and which ever one of those two stayed in would play the 4.

The projected starting lineup in the article linked below is consistent with the OP projected lineup, but I can see Gbinije potentially starting at the 1 or 3 spot, given the young age and inexperience of the team.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...s-michael-gbinije-will-overachieve-in-2014-15
Given that G is the only backup alternative at PG, I don't think JB would start him at SF and incur the risk that he picks up a couple of quick fouls making him unavailable or greatly limited in his PG minutes. Also last year G showed no ability to rebound when playing up front. If I remember right he had a couple of games he played a lot of minutes up front and got zero rebounds. I do think G will be a key player this season as a jack of all trades at the PG, SG, and SF probably getting at least 25 minutes PT a game.

I haven't seen a great deal of similarity between McC and Roberson. McC is a gazelle and will be best in the open court / free flowing offensive situations. Roberson has a good bball IQ / "headier" player and will be well positioned during sets; clearly has a more polished offensive game (skill set). I suspect Roberson will out-rebound McC and assuming he gets the minutes he'll lead the team in said department (a healthy Coleman would change the equation...).

All really depends on columns status. If he is healthy to start the season, which is obviously hard to vision right now then he is starting with christmas. Its what JB does. In this case its joseph, cooney, one of (mccullough, roberson, silent G), Christmas, Coleman. Personally think Silent G will be the 6 man however because he can play 1-3 positions and will be key off the bench. So that leaves it between Roberson and Mccullough. The way Roberson was in the dog house last year, and McC was a prized recruit I seem to think McC will get the start.

If Coleman is out to start the season or limited, which seems to be what most expect then I believe it will be joseph, cooney, McC, Roberson, Christmas. For the same reason, I think Silent G is the 6 man because he can play any position 1-3 and will be able to come in for one of 3 guys. I get nervous though because we have no one to stretch the floor in that lineup. Thats why I wonder if BJ may start. Another issue is rebounding, one of McC or Roberson need to be on the court at all times because Silent G and BJ are a tad undersized for the 4. Without one of those two on the floor (McC or Roberson), I think we will struggle to rebound the ball consistently.

starting 5 is as follows:

1-Kaleb
2-Coon Daddy
3-Roberson the truth
4-CM I am a one and doner
5-Merry Christmas

bench: G $$$, BJ, Coleman,

patterson will get limited time as will Chino

It is going to be an interesting year and again much like 2011. At one point that year we were ranked 3rd in the nation until we took our famous mid season slide. Unfortunately, we also lost to the hacks of Marquette where they were allowed to mug us to end the season.

I remember that Marquette game. I was yelling at the refs through the TV. That was one of the most unbalanced called games I've seen in CBB. It was like a Laker playoff game! We really had a chance to win that game if it were not for the refs. And then after the game was lost the refs made up a bunch of cheap calls on Marquette to balance out the sheet. It was really bad.

Unless BJ has had a body snatcher experience he is not a 4. Can you imagine him boxing out your typical wide body brutish PF? However, his Estonia play shows that he deserves a chance to show what he can do at the 2 or 3. Still not sold on MC holding up for a season or on MG becoming a more aggressive scorer. If we need a scoring burst, which we did last year, BJ might be the answer. Patterson has high energy but he makes me nervous.

Syracuse players do not box out

All really depends on columns status. If he is healthy to start the season, which is obviously hard to vision right now then he is starting with christmas. Its what JB does. In this case its joseph, cooney, one of (mccullough, roberson, silent G), Christmas, Coleman. Personally think Silent G will be the 6 man however because he can play 1-3 positions and will be key off the bench. So that leaves it between Roberson and Mccullough. The way Roberson was in the dog house last year, and McC was a prized recruit I seem to think McC will get the start.

If Coleman is out to start the season or limited, which seems to be what most expect then I believe it will be joseph, cooney, McC, Roberson, Christmas. For the same reason, I think Silent G is the 6 man because he can play any position 1-3 and will be able to come in for one of 3 guys. I get nervous though because we have no one to stretch the floor in that lineup. Thats why I wonder if BJ may start. Another issue is rebounding, one of McC or Roberson need to be on the court at all times because Silent G and BJ are a tad undersized for the 4. Without one of those two on the floor (McC or Roberson), I think we will struggle to rebound the ball consistently.
Was Roberson in the dog house last year? Why do you think that?

jack-nicholson-the-shining.jpg
20131101_pjc_bk3_293.0_standard_352.0.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom