Statement from Red | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Statement from Red

Considering we have one of the best communications school in the nation you would think we know how to better manage the news and messaging around stories like Boeheim's firing/retirement/whatever-that-was, or the NIT turn-down by us/by them/whatever-it-was, or some of the mid-season team and/or locker-room drama. But it seems like news releases on these stories came out incomplete and confused, followed by cleanup after the fact requiring additional communications.

Sports is typically a spectator event. People care about the teams they root for. They want to know what is going on. In this age of instant and pervasive social media we need to do a much better job of messaging, from the get-go, when we are in the news. And, to borrow from crisis management, it is best to communicate early, clear, and honest information.

That is how you build trust and brand. Embrace the fact that folks care and want to know.

Not to beat a horse that's already dead but that is what some fans concerns are. Pete is the Director of Athletic Communication. He generally does a great job, but this wasn't a shining moment for Syracuse.
Yeah, I think SU could have gotten out in front of this one better, but Pete is great. He always gets back to me. He wrote me back last night, at close to midnight, saying he was sorry for the delay in providing a statement about the NIT stuff. And I'm a nobody lol.

You cared enough to open the thread and post in it, so maybe start there?
You’re right I am crying, screaming, yelling, puking from behind, pooping out my mouth, and shivering my Timbers

That is how you build trust and brand. Embrace the fact that folks care and want to know.
Nah, you create trust and brand by winning.

Pats won 6 Super Bowls being pr1ckly, "On to Cincinnati", not putting players on the injury report, not explaining why Malcolm Butler didnt play, etc etc etc. Most Pats fans embraced the lack of info.

Once they started losing, then it became a problem.

If we were winning, much like the JB drama back in the day, the vast majority of people didn't care

(Really, you can't say PR!CKLY on here?)

Considering we have one of the best communications school in the nation you would think we know how to better manage the news and messaging around stories like Boeheim's firing/retirement/whatever-that-was, or the NIT turn-down by us/by them/whatever-it-was, or some of the mid-season team and/or locker-room drama. But it seems like news releases on these stories came out incomplete and confused, followed by cleanup after the fact requiring additional communications.

Sports is typically a spectator event. People care about the teams they root for. They want to know what is going on. In this age of instant and pervasive social media we need to do a much better job of messaging, from the get-go, when we are in the news. And, to borrow from crisis management, it is best to communicate early, clear, and honest information.

Yep. It was frustrating when it happened under JB, but you could explain it away because he was of a different time and he was going to say and do whatever he wanted anyway and he could always hide behind his accomplishments and standing in the community.

Now we have a coach who doesn't have that kind of runway and clearly hasn't had very much media training. Sometimes that makes things fun, but less so in situations like this.

You can do both!

Fired

We need to do a better job of winning.

All the other stuff you mention is what people focus on when we're not winning enough.

No one will remember this, or care, once names start hitting the portal. For now, it's just downtime filler and gives people something to complain about in a no tourney season.

We need to do a better job of winning.

All the other stuff you mention is what people focus on when we're not winning enough.

No one will remember this, or care, once names start hitting the portal. For now, it's just downtime filler and gives people something to complain about in a no tourney season.
Remember when people were all in their feelings on this board at Babers for not coaching that pointless bowl game?

That was fun. This is the basketball equivalent.

Remember when people were all in their feelings on this board at Babers for not coaching that pointless bowl game?

That was fun. This is the basketball equivalent.
One coach was fired and the other isn’t. Not exactly equivalent.

This seems like a bit of an overreaction. We declined an NIT bid. The fact the SUAD didn't consider the personal timeline demands of a handful of fans doesn't make it a crisis and doesn't need to be treated as such.

Would have been better to have included some mention of declining the NIT (if in fact they did decline it) or not having any post season. Leaves more questions to not mention it at all. This is getting weirder. The silence is getting louder.

With 2 guys in the portal, and likely more coming, it's easy to see why they declined. I don't think you want to come out and say, "We declined the NIT because we won't have enough players to field a full team." That sounds worse to me that just try to be quiet about it.

They're always awful at the stuff they are known for teaching.
Proves the old saying, "Those who can, do, and those who can't ..."

Pats won 6 Super Bowls being pr1ckly, "On to Cincinnati", not putting players on the injury report, not explaining why Malcolm Butler didnt play, etc etc etc. Most Pats fans embraced the lack of info.

Once they started losing, then it became a problem.

If we were winning, much like the JB drama back in the day, the vast majority of people didn't care

(Really, you can't say PR!CKLY on here?)

Since I see there were several responses to my brand management and social media post let me elucidate . . . and the irony of having to clarify given what I said is not lost on me.

My comment was strictly addressing our poor record of communicating with the outside world on sport stories like Boehiem's retirement/firing, suspensions during the season, or dismissing a player mid-season, or whether we were invited to the NIT, or refused an invitation, etc.

As for the heavy lifting in building a program and its brand, I am a strict Al Davis acolyte, "Just win, baby." Winning does paper over a lot of sins, but we are not winning. And that is made worse by the fact that we are not communicating well, either. A deadly combo for a programs image.

That said, the intended point of my comment was, in this day and age of social media something can go viral in an instant so brand management necessarily has to pay close attention to things like X, IG, and podcasts. It was not meant to imply that competent social media management is the primary tool for building a sports programs brand. Winning will always be first and foremost.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom