Stephon Gilmore comments on OBJ | Syracusefan.com

Stephon Gilmore comments on OBJ

longislandcuse

Living Legend
https://bills.buffalonews.com/2015/...m-jr-threw-multiple-punches-is-a-prima-donna/

Most of the world sees Odell Beckham Jr. one way. One superhuman catch last season took on a life of its own. After Sunday, however, players in the Buffalo Bills locker room see the New York Giants wide receiver in a much, much different way.

Several in the locker room said Beckham threw multiple punches after the whistle in the New York Giants' 24-10 win at Ralph Wilson Stadium on Sunday, describing the Giants receiver as a "prima donna" and a "golden boy" who gets away with various cheap stunts.

The reason linebacker Preston Brown retaliated after a play late in the fourth quarter was because Beckham punched him. Then, three snaps later, the wideout socked safety Duke Williams with a hard right punch across the helmet after an interception. Cornerback Stephon Gilmore, one player who faced Beckham much of the game, described Beckham as a little brother who throws "tantrums" after the whistle.

When Beckham's name is brought up in the locker room Tuesday, the soft-spoken Gilmore shakes his head.

“I don’t know what’s up with him," Gilmore said. "He acts like nobody’s supposed to hit him and you’re supposed to let him catch the ball. He’s weird. He gets mad when you play physical with him. He’s weird.

“He’s different. It’s kind of like you’re playing your little brother and he gets mad at you for being too physical with him — throwing a tantrum. I’m like, ‘Man, we’re playing football. It’s a physical game. ... He’s a prima donna. He feels like he’s on top of the world and nobody’s supposed to do anything to him."

On Brown's 15-yard unsportsmanlike flag, the linebacker said Beckham was already getting into it with a different player so he came over to play "peacemaker." Beckham threw a quick punch, so he reacted.

“They were doing everything in the book they could to try to get a free 15," Brown said. "They would say anything they thought would rile us up. Words usually don’t do anything, but when they start swinging at you — they did that a lot. They were throwing a lot of cheap shots.”

Not that this was a total surprise to the guys in this locker room.

Players saw on the Giants/Redskins film from the previous week that Beckham does this often after the whistle. Such cheap shots, they say, are a major part of his game.

“That’s what he does. He’ll get away with it," Brown said. "He’s the ‘golden boy’ of the league. He’s on the cover of Madden. Sometimes, you get away with stuff like that.”

And Beckham wasn't done.

Soon after Gilmore's interception of Eli Manning, he punched safety Duke Williams. The safety blocked Beckham to the ground, the two got up on their feet and then Beckham threw the right-handed hook. Unlike Brown, he did not retaliate but the punch wasn't flagged. Williams figured there would be a penalty because, as he said, the punch was thrown "face to face, clear as day" right in front of an official.

“A guy like that," Williams said, "you expect him to be a stand-up guy but I guess it is a part of his game. He likes to throw cheap shots here and there and gets away with it. I guess it’s his thing. ...Right in front of the referee and he threw a jab at me and ran behind his teammates. He ran away. I’m just like, ‘Wow. That’s crazy.’”

In addition to this, he says Beckham talked trash "every play." Neither Brown, nor Williams would repeat what Giants players said on the field, only indicating it must beyond typical trash talk.

To Williams, it's mind-boggling that he was flagged for running out of bounds on a punt without being touched but the official somehow missed this.

“I just put my hands up like, ‘You’re not going to call the foul?'" Williams said. "He didn’t call anything.”

Added Gilmore, "What’s the reason to do that? I think he got mad Duke blocked him and that’s what he’s supposed to do.”

Of course, more teams will follow Beckham's lead. The Bills drew 17 penalties on Sunday and are on pace to shatter the NFL record. The Giants apparently agitated Buffalo late in the game, and it worked.

Coach Rex Ryan is stressing to players this week to let these jabs go, as difficult as it may be.

When Brown returned to his locker after the loss, his phone lit up with text messages from friends, who were shocked to see him react like this. They knew this wasn't his style of play, at all. Either way, four games in, the Bills have a league-wide reputation of crossing the line.

“Now that everybody saw us on TV, it looks like we’re going crazy," Brown said. "So now, every team is going to do that. Now, we understand that’s going to happen. So we’ll just sit back, relax and laugh. It’s just a mentality now. We know we can’t do that stuff in the NFL. If somebody throws the punch, we’re going to look at him and laugh. We can’t do anything and they probably won’t get the flag for it either. If we retaliate, we’re going to get the flag.”

Between the whistles, the Bills actually kept the prolific Beckham in check. He had only five receptions for 38 yards on 12 targets.

Gilmore, who studies receivers across the NFL, said Beckham is "alright."

“I don’t really watch TV and listen to the hype. I study guys on the film and then I judge him," the corner said. "He’s not Sammy Watkins. He has good hands, he can catch. He’s good but he’s not what people think after that one catch.”

And while the Giants wideout hauled in the catch of the year (decade? century?) last season against Dallas, the Bills are adamant that there's a different side to this star.

"His world is based on hype and that one catch," Gilmore said. "Everybody sees that, everybody knows him for that and people don’t really look at the film and watch him and really don’t know what type of player he is."

Should they be more mature than that, yes and no.. Go read the thread I just posted with Gilmore's take on OBJ and some of the comments in there and tell me how you'd react, as a football player, with all that going on.

I can't really say how I'd react because I'm not a juiced-up football player with my adrenaline pumping in the middle of a game, but during my time playing basketball, or in the few instances out in real life where I've been involved in fist fights, I've never responded to stuff like that. In actual fist fights, I've been quick enough to just dodge until I can get away/someone else intervenes or flee. I'm sure in the right situation, I would fight back, but up to this point in my life, I've never had to.

And whenever someone would give me a cheap shot while playing basketball, it would just fire me up to beat them the next time I got the ball, or I might make sure that I fouled them the next time they tried to shoot, but I never physically responded in a way that I could possibly get in trouble for anything (besides a common foul). I understand I'm in the minority though; most guys just don't know how to control their emotions, especially in a football game when your adrenaline is going crazy (and half of them are probably juicing or something like that anyways).

I've played both sports and I think they're totally different.

In basketball, the refs will catch Lebron James throwing elbows and T him up or eject him and you can't really react without getting thrown out. Also the NBA actually reviews these plays and will catch you if you sneak a cheap shot in.

In the NFL, you can do this all game and if you see this going on continuously, with no flags, I would probably lose it. They don't review and with scrums everywhere and refs "missing" the guy who starts ish, it's got to be tough to keep your cool.

The Bills players legit seem concerned about the way they are being officiated and I truly think the refs have put a bounty on Rex Ryan's head, metaphorically speaking.

Oh, I think there's definitely a big target on the Bills' backs for the refs.

Beckham is kind of a clown, IMO - I saw him hiding behind refs a couple of times during scrums on Sunday. Why was he upset at Duke Williams? Because Duke Williams had the nerve to throw a clean block on an interception return? The Giants were up 14 (penalty-adjusted, mind you) at the time, late in the game - was Beckham upset because he had a poor statistical game?

baby-crying.jpg

What's the rule on NFL video reviews?

Won't OBJ be suspended for a game for throwing a punch?

Caught on film?

Or is that not a thing?

Who do the Giants play next?

^Exactly. and get ready for the next game. Put away the Kleenex and maybe do something in your own division this season rather than padding Patriot statistics and acting as New England's steppingstone to home field advantage and another playoff run.

Sounding like a bunch of prima donnas in the Bills locker room. The irony...

Go Big Blue.

^Exactly. and get ready for the next game. Put away the Kleenex and maybe do something in your own division this season rather than padding Patriot statistics and acting as New England's steppingstone to home field advantage and another playoff run.

Sounding like a bunch of prima donnas in the Bills locker room. The irony...

Go Big Blue.

Don't want to let facts get in the way of your little rant, but the Bills went 4-2 in the division last year.

Even NJ Giants fans have to admit that Beckham hiding behind the refs was pretty cowardly.

Don't want to let facts get in the way of your little rant, but the Bills went 4-2 in the division last year.

Even NJ Giants fans have to admit that Beckham hiding behind the refs was pretty cowardly.

I love facts, and to "do something in your own division" includes not just division record but the overall team record relative to the rest of the East. 4-2 last year in the division, good for second place and out of the playoffs. Last division title, 1995. Last playoff appearance, 1999. 2008-2013 in the division, 4th place.

image.jpeg

Keep chirping about OBJ. Media loves it. They should move on to the next game and get ready for the Titans. Speaking of '99...

that was all over the place, and some of it almost made sense.

that was all over the place, and some of it almost made sense.

Apologies for my lack of posting etiquette and proper transition of thought. However I am sure you can understand the main idea of the second little rant even through my imposed static. You are intelligent.

They need to move past the bush league stunts. Of course they should take exception to that extracurricular nonsense but no reason grieving about it to the press. It won't help their cause. Focus on Tennessee.

I want Buffalo to finish top of the East. Hate New England, it would be great for the region, and Bills fans are some of the best, maybe the best, fans in the league. They deserve more, and I am hoping they (you) get it this season.

Yeah, sure OBJ made had one big catch last year and thats why there is all this hype about him.
what about the other 1300 yards , 91 receptions, and 12 td's in 12 games? he must be the luckiest guy in the world to have done all that with no run after the catch skills.

and im a bills fan. I just cant stand when teams lose and do anything other than look in the mirror and figure out what they need to do to get better. sammy watkins..lol...sammy watkins isnt in the same stratosphere as OBJ...and OBJ didnt cost a freaking future first round pick

I've played both sports and I think they're totally different.

In basketball, the refs will catch Lebron James throwing elbows and T him up or eject him and you can't really react without getting thrown out. Also the NBA actually reviews these plays and will catch you if you sneak a cheap shot in.

In the NFL, you can do this all game and if you see this going on continuously, with no flags, I would probably lose it. They don't review and with scrums everywhere and refs "missing" the guy who starts ish, it's got to be tough to keep your cool.

The Bills players legit seem concerned about the way they are being officiated and I truly think the refs have put a bounty on Rex Ryan's head, metaphorically speaking.

Not having review on these things in the NFL doesn't mean that players should be fine with coming unglued. I didn't hold back from fighting because I was afraid that my refs would go look at an instant replay system and throw me out; I held back because reacting to that sort of thing is only a lose-lose situation, shows weakness and shows that you let your opponent get in your head. The Bills pretty clearly have that problem considering they admit that they took the Giants bait over and over and over on Sunday and they clearly let the Patriots get in their heads as well. They just appear to be mentally weak and undisciplined. I mean seriously, complaining that your opponent is trash-talking? Are these guys playing football for the first times in their lives? The Giants must be laughing right now.

Nothing good can come from fighting back in these situations. The Bills need to be smarter.

Yeah, sure OBJ made had one big catch last year and thats why there is all this hype about him.
what about the other 1300 yards , 91 receptions, and 12 td's in 12 games? he must be the luckiest guy in the world to have done all that with no run after the catch skills.

and im a bills fan. I just cant stand when teams lose and do anything other than look in the mirror and figure out what they need to do to get better. sammy watkins..lol...sammy watkins isnt in the same stratosphere as OBJ...and OBJ didnt cost a freaking future first round pick
OBJ is also their only WR.

Watkins has been disappointing in that he had a ****bag QB throwing to him last year and keeps getting dinged up. When both healthy, i'll take Watkins over OBJ.

Not having review on these things in the NFL doesn't mean that players should be fine with coming unglued. I didn't hold back from fighting because I was afraid that my refs would go look at an instant replay system and throw me out; I held back because reacting to that sort of thing is only a lose-lose situation, shows weakness and shows that you let your opponent get in your head. The Bills pretty clearly have that problem considering they admit that they took the Giants bait over and over and over on Sunday and they clearly let the Patriots get in their heads as well. They just appear to be mentally weak and undisciplined. I mean seriously, complaining that your opponent is trash-talking? Are these guys playing football for the first times in their lives? The Giants must be laughing right now.

Nothing good can come from fighting back in these situations. The Bills need to be smarter.
Giants didn't get in their head. Refs not calling penalties on the Giants but then calling them on Buffalo did. It's one thing to have an opponent talk ish and cheap shot you all game if you can do the same, quite another when refs flag you incessantly but never the opposing team.

I'm thinking a lot of Giants fans on here weren't exactly thrilled with that Syracuse/Ohio State Tourney Game a few years back when we played like garbage but still should've won if the refs didn't play such a huge role. That's kind of how I feel about the Buffalo/NYG game.

The guy is a great player no doubt. Please spare us the "move on the Tennessee" H0T Takes. Feel free to bet all you want on the Titans if you think answering a reporter's questions and preparing for next week are mutually exclusive. It's not a zero sum game.
Video don't lie. I had no idea OBJ was such a b**ch but apparently it's common knowledge out there.

nope.

the Giants are coached by Tom Coughlin.

they are preparing for the 49ers.

doubt anyone remembers which bills game you are talking about.

OBJ is also their only WR.

Watkins has been disappointing in that he had a ****bag QB throwing to him last year and keeps getting dinged up. When both healthy, i'll take Watkins over OBJ.

Are you starting to get worried that it seems Watkins might be a little frail? I might be overreacting - it's not like he's Marquise Goodwin who can never seem to get out of the training room.

Are you starting to get worried that it seems Watkins might be a little frail? I might be overreacting - it's not like he's Marquise Goodwin who can never seem to get out of the training room.
I don't really get it. Dude was a wrecking ball at Clemson and a porcelain doll in the NFL. I'll admit, it's starting to get on my nerves.

Per Source New York Giants wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. has been fined approximately $9,000 for his actions in Sunday's game against the Buffalo Bills, a source told ESPN's Dan Graziano.

Television cameras show Beckham throwing a punch at the helmet of Bills safety Duke Williams during a Buffalo interception return in the fourth quarter.

What's trending in the NFL: Why Bills players called out Odell Beckham Jr.
Recapping Tuesday's top stories, which include what Bills players are saying about the Giants' star receiver, and our Week 5 Power Rankings.
Beckham was not penalized for the play, and the NFL will not disclose any fine information until Friday.

Bills linebacker Preston Brown also accused Beckham of throwing a punch, telling the Buffalo News that the star wideout will "get away with it" because he is "the 'golden boy' of the league."

Beckham's antics also drew a reaction from Bills cornerback Stephon Gilmore, who told The Buffalo News that Beckham is "a prima donna" who "feels like he's on top of the world and nobody's supposed to do anything to him."

Giants coach Tom Coughlin was scheduled to address the media Wednesday morning.

Please spare us the "move on the Tennessee" H0T Takes. Feel free to bet all you want on the Titans if you think answering a reporter's questions and preparing for next week are mutually exclusive. It's not a zero sum game.

Perhaps it should be mutually exclusive. That is exactly the rhetoric used by the head coach of the team that routinely clowns the Bills. "We're moving on to Cincinnati."

Perhaps it should be mutually exclusive. That is exactly the rhetoric used by the head coach of the team that routinely clowns the Bills. "We're moving on to Cincinnati."
Please don't compare the golden franchise of the NFL to Buffalo. I don't feel like having to read through a thread murked up by a NE debate. We don't get the calls NE gets, we don't have the face of the NFL QB and we're not the team the NFL pimps out. We're the team who gets called for weak af holding and personal fouls while other teams gang**** our defensive line and throws cheap shots knowing they can get away with it and we can't...small market team with a bad reputation, we have to handle things a bit differently.

I don't really get it. Dude was a wrecking ball at Clemson and a porcelain doll in the NFL. I'll admit, it's starting to get on my nerves.
Dude played through a lot of pain last year.

Please don't compare the golden franchise of the NFL to Buffalo. I don't feel like having to read through a thread murked up by a NE debate. We don't get the calls NE gets, we don't have the face of the NFL QB and we're not the team the NFL pimps out. We're the team who gets called for weak af holding and personal fouls while other teams gang**** our defensive line and throws cheap shots knowing they can get away with it and we can't...small market team with a bad reputation, we have to handle things a bit differently.

Very valid post.

It was also the rhetoric used by all five Bills head coaches from 2001-2014.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom