Class of 2014 - Steve Ishmael, WR (N. Miami Beach) | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 Steve Ishmael, WR (N. Miami Beach)

McDonald leaves impression on Ishmael

Miami (FL) North Miami Beach wide receiver Steve Ishmael is one of the top receivers in south Florida and he has the numbers and scholarship offer to prove it.

Per r****s dated 3/22/13 SU offered. I think that what AJ meant was getting these guys offers, not that he committed.

Just posted this in the A.J. Long thread but worth it's own thread. Long seems to suggest in the ESPN video CuseLegacy posted that Ishmael is committed to Syracuse...

Here's the link...

http://syracusefan.com/threads/qb-aj-long.46870/page-3#post-588369
Thought this might happen. George McDonald is very close to Ishmael's high school head coach. If this is true, this is insanely big. Ishmael might be the best WR in the state of Florida next season.

Link (scroll down a bit)

Thought this might happen. George McDonald is very close to Ishmael's high school head coach. If this is true, this is insanely big. Ishmael might be the best WR in the state of Florida next season.

Link (scroll down a bit)

Thanks. I thought I had read the name Ishmael on here before...and it had nothing to do with an obsession for hunting whales.;)

He reminds me of a couple wide receivers that have played for Rutgers in recent years. Tall, lanky, big play type receivers that are major mismatches for smaller DB's. Would be terrific to get a QB-WR combination that provides excitement in the dome.

Only weakness I see in the video is lack of breakaway speed. If he is to be top wr in Florida, one would expect him to run away from defenses. However ball skills look great.

Only weakness I see in the video is lack of breakaway speed. If he is to be top wr in Florida, one would expect him to run away from defenses. However ball skills look great.
His quickness looks fine and he is strong too for 160LBS. Put 25/30 lbs on him and a monster will be born. But doubt if SU will get him. Winning program down the road will get talent in like him!!

Agreed he doesn't look to have excellent speed as he get caught from behind occasionally. Though he does seem like he may be one of those guys that is running faster than he looks as he does run past some kids. You don't need to have elite speed to be a great receiver. His superb ball skills make up for a lot as he doesn't need to be open to make a play. Would love to get this kid.

He reminds me of a couple wide receivers that have played for Rutgers in recent years. Tall, lanky, big play type receivers that are major mismatches for smaller DB's. Would be terrific to get a QB-WR combination that provides excitement in the dome.
rutgers?

he reminds me of Jarrod West from Syracuse...never,never should we ever compare recruits with the 'girls.This kid can actually catch the damn ball

His quickness looks fine and he is strong too for 160LBS. Put 25/30 lbs on him and a monster will be born. But doubt if SU will get him. Winning program down the road will get talent in like him!!

no offense, but how do you know how strong he is and his quickness is so-so. not saying this guy isn't a play maker but he reminds me of marcus sales, not THE top wr in florida. btw - i take another marcus sales in a heartbeat and id love to get this guy. im just providing my opinion on his tape.

no offense, but how do you know how strong he is and his quickness is so-so. not saying this guy isn't a play maker but he reminds me of marcus sales, not THE top wr in florida. btw - i take another marcus sales in a heartbeat and id love to get this guy. im just providing my opinion on his tape.

No offense but how do you know he is a Marcus Sales like guy and NOT the top wr in florida just because you watched some tape.

It's amazing how overrated speed is on this board sometimes.

he reminded me somewhat of Mike Williams but he really looks like one of those tall lanky WR's you see lining up for Florida or Clemson. Kid is a stud for sure.

No offense but how do you know he is a Marcus Sales like guy and NOT the top wr in florida just because you watched some tape.

It's amazing how overrated speed is on this board sometimes.

because i watched his tape and feel the top wr in florida should be able to run away from defenses. i can phrase it 2 more different ways if youd like.

because i watched his tape and feel the top wr in florida should be able to run away from defenses. i can phrase it 2 more different ways if youd like.

Which Florida WR is better?

I didn't watch the whole vid but what i did watch i think he out ran the defense in most of the clips. he's not tavon austin but do you think he's going to score at td everytime he touches the ball ?

These are the WR's AJ Long mentioned by name:

KJ Williams 6-2 190 - "he said if he gets an offer he's coming to Syracuse with me"
Early 4 star kid; (O) Arizona, Uconn, Michigan, Mizzou, Pitt, Rutgers, SU, UCLA, Vandy, Wisc

Trevon Lee 6-1 175 | Cardinal Gibbons HS FL
(O) Auburn, BC, Cal, Duke, LVille, Mizz, Purdue, Stanford, SU, USC, SC, Vandy, Wake, WVU, Wisc

Brandon Mitchell 6-5 180 Penn Hills HS in Pittsburgh; says, "having to get him an offer". Should be noted r vals has Mitchell listed as a QB. No offers

then he says;

"to add to Steve Ishmael who's 6-2 out of Florida..." "that's my big goal is to get them and then get the big guys up front"..."like those are my main targets right now"

Who's knows what'll happen but it sure makes this part of the off season fun.

I didn't watch the whole vid but what i did watch i think he out ran the defense in most of the clips. he's not tavon austin but do you think he's going to score at td everytime he touches the ball ?

I expect him to outrun high school defenses to be called the top wr in Florida. But it's ok to disagree. the kid clearly has talent as I said in my original post. I provided my observations on the tape I saw. Some people just gawk over these videos. I rather have a discussion.

I expect him to outrun high school defenses to be called the top wr in Florida. But it's ok to disagree. the kid clearly has talent as I said in my original post. I provided my observations on the tape I saw. Some people just gawk over these videos. I rather have a discussion.
Elite breakaway speed may be sufficient to be the top WR in a state, but it is definitely not necessary.

In the last few years or so we've had players come in expected to be ST returners and WR's who have "breakaway" speed none of them have made a huge impact overall on offense. We've also had WR's who can get open, catch the ball, run good routes, understand the game, and score td's (Mike Williams, Lemon, Sales). I'd rather have a guy from Florida who is theoretically better at this point in HS than any of those three supposedly were at the same point.

I didn't gawk over his video and I was having a discussion, so I'm not sure what that part of the comment is about. Speed is incredibly overrated in a WR. Very few good WR's have blazing top end speed.

I agree with the others in this thread. Many of the best WRs in the game today don't have elite speed, and many of the best WRs of all time didn't either.

Others also disagree with your assessment of Ishmael. Some think he could be the best prospect in the state period in 2014. FYI, he was 2nd team all state as a junior. Also, note that he plays against top competition at NMB. Dade County has arguably the best HS football in the country. He competes against D1 defensive backs all the time.

You are entitled to your opinion.. Just know that some 'experts' in Florida disagree with you. When I said he could be the top WR prospect in the state, I wasn't giving my opinion...I was repeating what is being said about him in a number of articles.

Sutomcat - again i didnt say he wasnt a top prospect, so my comment is being blown out of proportion and morphed into something i didnt say. I never commented on his 40 time, but I also never seen Larry fitz chased down from behind. Anyways, I checked the ratings websites. Any idea when he'll be re-evaluated by people like scout? And do we have a realistic shot w these kids? Also long seems to be recruiting a lot of these guys. What's his connection?