Steve Ishmael | Syracusefan.com

Steve Ishmael

CanadianSU

Living Legend
Not a lot of chatter about this kid (offseason I know but he is going to have a HUGE year). I hate to get ahead of myself but I will go ahead and do it anyway. This kid is absolutely clutch, runs perfect routes, has some wheels and good hands... he is going to be the next big thing out of Syracuse. I'm actually pretty confident about the entire receiving group, now put Erv in the damn slot and find a way to get Broyld and Estime/Phillips on at the same time.

steve-ishmael-0524f6355f792545.jpg

jekelish said:
My main worry is that he got rid of the dreads. Fingers crossed this isn't a Samson situation.

Say it ain't so?

Pictures or it didn't happen

Does he go from a high 3 star to a mid 2 star now according to the great pundits on here?

Hey, it can't hurt his 40 time. It's gotta shave a couple hundredths of a second. No pun intended.

Expect Ishmael to be treated as a Number 1 this year, I'm pretty confident that's how he'll be utilized.

Our receivers are having a strong Spring. I hope that's more to do with them than our Secondary. Alot of youth back there, but, some talent to go with it IMO.

Expect Ishmael to be treated as a Number 1 this year, I'm pretty confident that's how he'll be utilized.

Our receivers are having a strong Spring. I hope that's more to do with them than our Secondary. Alot of youth back there, but, some talent to go with it IMO.

Yeah - I read that AC was blowing by our corners press coverage. Good for him, bad for our corners.

Yeah - I read that AC was blowing by our corners press coverage. Good for him, bad for our corners.
AC is having a great Spring, as is Ish. Broyld and Estime were doing some fine things as well, but, both seem to be getting knicked up... Adly Enoicy, Avant and Jamal Custis are doing pretty well too. Custis is probably somewhat ahead, but, Enoicy has been working extremely hard and AVant always seems to flash.

AC is having a great Spring, as is Ish. Broyld and Estime were doing some fine things as well, but, both seem to be getting knicked up... Adly Enoicy, Avant and Jamal Custis are doing pretty well too. Custis is probably somewhat ahead, but, Enoicy has been working extremely hard and AVant always seems to flash.

Did you get a sense that there will be longer routes in Lester's system? In reading/watching some of the quotes - it seems like the days of a 1,000 bubbles are gone...

Did you get a sense that there will be longer routes in Lester's system? In reading/watching some of the quotes - it seems like the days of a 1,000 bubbles are gone...

I believe the pass game will feature more Play Action than straight drop back, so there will probably be progressions... Short, Middle, Long. The bubble screen will not be utilized much, if at all, but, screen game will probably factor in. More traditional screens than bubbles.

Our secondary blows, so I think that's why we always hear about our playmakers looking great every spring. Of course our receivers look great against awful coverage. Of course our bubble screens worked in practice the last few years; we don't know how to defend the bubble screen.

With Custis, Enoicy, and Trey we have receivers with the size to actually block on the screen pass, something missing the past 2 years.

Free Article...
http://syracuse.At their request, t...67-steve-ishmael-bigger-stronger-faster?s=185
Mar 26, 2015 | 12:00 pm
Steve Ishmael: Bigger, Faster, Stronger
Steve Ishmael had one of the better freshman wide receiver campaigns at Syracuse in recent memory. He showed flashes that suggested he could blossom into a big time playmaker. That blossoming could happen as soon as this year with the need for a number one receiver to step up. Especially with the loss of last season’s top target Jarrod West.
But that won’t happen without some improvement. Even with some highlight reel plays and shining moments, Ishmael became less effective down the stretch of the season. The big reason was due to a lack of strength and opposing corners jamming him at the line of scrimmage.
Countering that with increased strength and technique has been a primary focus of Ishmael since the season ending loss at Boston College.
”I’ve actually put on about 10 pounds,” Ishmael said. “Last year I was 188, I’m 198 right now. I’m trying to get up to at least 202. It’s been helping a lot when we’re out there at practice. All of the corners, Julian Whigham, Wayne Morgan all say I’ve gotten stronger and it’s harder to press me now.
”It’s just about getting physical at the line and continue working. Even on the off days, I’ve got to get my legs stronger. I’ve been focusing on my upper body but I’ve got to my legs stronger now.”
Even better news is that Ishmael says the increased strength and muscle has not resulted in a loss of speed. In fact, he believes he is faster now than he was last season.
Going forward, the task is to learn the new offense under Tim Lester. Despite a new system, Ishmael feels more comfortable due to his bond with the coaching staff.
”It’s a huge comfort level now,” Ishmael said. “Especially with the offense, I’ve mastered a few plays. We’ve got a couple of new plays. But it’s just getting more comfortable with the coaches, coach Shafer and coach Lester. One thing I love about them is that they’re all positive coaches.
”They all just focus on the next play even if you mess up. So it’s all real comfortable.”
Though it is still early in the implementation of the new offense, Ishmael likes what they have learned to this point. He says there is a more focused approach in this offense as opposed to learning a bunch of different plays with the intention of running them as quickly as possible.
”This offense is focused on trying to master one specific thing,” Ishmael said. “It’s a lot more running, but the passing game should open up. It’s more like a pro-style offense. I really love the offense. We have a couple of easy plays in there like quick hitches. Just easy completions. But I really like the offense.”
As if learning a new offense wasn’t enough, he is also adjusting to a new position coach. Bobby Acosta has taken over as the wide receivers coach with George McDonald’s departure. While there is an obvious difference in coaching style, Ishmael believes it may mesh better with his personality.
”I would say the intensity,” Ishmael said. “Coach McDonald was a laid back coach but coach Acosta is more of a hype guy. Some days I’ll come in there lousy, but he already knows. He’s already screaming at me to get me back straight. So I would say it’s the intensity, but they’re both good coaches.”
The last piece of the puzzle is developing chemistry with quarterback Terrel Hunt. The two had a chance to do that a little bit last season, but an injury that prematurely ended Hunt’s season stunted some of that growth.
”We’re actually working really good after practice,” Ishmael said. “After practice, every time I get a couple extra throws in with him, we’re just building up a relationship. Even off the field. I go over to his house sometimes. We just really want to take that off the field and on the field stuff to the game and hopefully make it to a bowl game this year.”

No dreads?

Someone here just became a MUCH bigger fan.

;)

Having that top button all buttoned up probably doesn't hurt either.

"Just easy completions" was my favorite line in there. I was so baffled that we absolutely never seemed to run any hitches or slants last year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom