Stick question - woodyuk? | Syracusefan.com

Stick question - woodyuk?

PhatOrange

Living Legend
rice, donahue, staats - anyone know what kind of sticks these guys are using?

PhatOrange said:
rice, donahue, staats - anyone know what kind of sticks these guys are using?

Lacrosse sticks

They are all using Nike Lakota U head, which are made by STX really.

image.jpg

Looks like most of the offensive players are using STX stallions or surgeons.

what i can't figure out on the surgeons; there's 3 models. The Surgeon 10 500 is NCAA legal but not Youth legal. The Surgeon 500 and Surgeon 300 are both Youth legal but not NCAA legal.

I'm curious how the 10-500 is NCAA legal but not youth legal ? Seams backwards, why would that be.

image.jpg

Lecky and Galasso do use a Stallions

image.jpg

Last edited:
Here’s why I ask the question. I have a 6th grade attackman with the potential to be really really good, star type potential. He dominates youth. He’s a natural lefty who’s easily going to be 6-0 tall. Hockey player. His Dad asked me what stick I’d recommend. Well my kid is a goalie (smh ;) ) and I played with an SL2 & Highwall so I’m a bit out of touch with the elite type offensive sticks these days.

We all know sticks are a preference and don’t make the player but I think it’s time this kid start using/learning with an elite type big boy stick.

Thanks guys!

Hi wall or Excalibur for me haha

I coach kids all the time and have a son that plays and there is a huge fashion but you can't play with a twig anymore and it can be the difference in the development of his game, I sound like a sales men, anyway my son has never used any other head than the Warrior Evo and know a lot of players love this head. You can have the X college legal or normal for youth I'm maybe in the thinking that you should get used to a college head at some point but the normal Evo will have slightly better hold.
EVO X
image.jpg

EVO
image.jpg

Shafts can break and some are stronger than other but get the lightest and toughest they can afford, Maverik, Brine, Warrior or STX I'd go for a mix or just Ti don't go composite.

I'll post some other popular heads for attackman below as players have to use the schools sponsor like STX and Nike for Cuse

Thanks Woody. I'm with ya. I always tell the parents to get NCAA regulation sticks. I see no purpose what-so-ever learning to play with a stick not legal for the college game.

I have a couple of Evo's in the garage. I bought them for my own 11 year old before he went to the dark side and became adamant that he wanted to be a full time goalie. (speaking of which - any real good goalie camps out there); my kid doesn't like taking my advice/instruction. :)

Phat, there are plenty of great goalie camps out there, but it all starts with Billy Pilats camp. It was the original and still the best. That said, I would try to find a former college goalie in your area to work with him weekly or biweekly for about $40-75 an hour. He will get more out of that than going to a $600 goalie camp.

Then again, as a goalie, I would recommend you keep working on getting him out of the cage. It truly is a terrible position ;)

I believe John Galloway is doing a few for LB3, maybe one in Cazanovia. It takes a brave soul to play in goal and its a game within a game, I ahvea lot of respect for them and they can have a huge impact on a game, I went i goal once as I was an attackman and hated one guy scored 10 on me! :(

I'll have a look and post, there is also another one that has been going for years that is just for goalies.

OuToftownie - you're so right Bill Pilats is the camp I was thinking of.

image.jpg

An English friend of mine coaches with him at Providence and I'm auctioning a goalie head he signed for my travel teams US tour this year, someone is stringing the stick for me in his set up.
image.jpg

If your in Upstate there are loads of great goalie coaches in that area - Ben Gaebel is a great coach!

The stringing is more important than the head. I struggle to string some of the ones mentioned above in the style I like. Clutch X or a Pannel X (RP3) are really good heads but again those heads work well with a specific style of stringing. The EVO is a great head but I could just never get it to work the way I wanted to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlCuse

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom