Class of 2015 - Stupid Question Time | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 Stupid Question Time

Crusty

Living Legend
I was thinking about the difference between NYS recruits and say, Florida recruits. They say, by the time they get here, the NYS recruit has almost a full year less football experience. My question is, which position(s) does/do this hurt most? (Aside from QB.)

In my completely non-expert opinion, I would bet it hurts the kids that are athletes without a position at the HS level the most. They are furthest behind in developing their technique for a particular position anyways, and then you add in the fact they are usually the smaller/slighter guys who don't have next level strength yet, they become the guys who need redshirt years to get their strength up to snuff, and then another year at a proper college weight/muscle mass to really learn the ins and outs of whatever position the team deems is best for them.

At least if you got a guy specializing in a position, being a year behind on technique hurts, but having the basics down is better than having nothing but raw athletic ability all across the board.

The interior defensive line.

I played the skilled positions in HS in TN. I was about 5'10 190 in HS. Was mostly a CB/S, RB. I came to NY and gained 10. I was playing some pick up football and all the kids thought I played the line. They could not believe when I told them that our starting lines averaged about 300 pounds. We were a division below the largest schools.

Here in NYS there are very few big guys. The one or two guy's you might have are blocking kids way smaller than they are. You go south and they are a dime a dozen. SS has been on record of saying that it is a huge change when you are being double teamed by 300 pound D1 linemen.

You add to the fact that most states back home are allowing football year around or have 7v7 leagues. We also started playing in August and ended in December playing 10 to 12 game seasons when they are much shorter here. We started training for spring sports on grass in the beginning of Feb. Big guy's down there have much more time to develop as you correctly stated Crusty.

I was thinking about the difference between NYS recruits and say, Florida recruits. They say, by the time they get here, the NYS recruit has almost a full year less football experience. My question is, which position(s) does/do this hurt most? (Aside from QB.)

As for hurting the most? I would really like to say all of them to be honest. However, it is probably the defensive back seven. With the advent of 7 v 7, defensive backs and lbs get a much greater education of route concepts against different coverages. They also get schooled in more complex coverages as well. Most "local" high schools play some variation of 3 deep or man with a single high safety to be honest.

These kids are learning how to disguise coverages, techniques at the point, etc.

The interior defensive line.

You add to the fact that most states back home are allowing football year around or have 7v7 leagues. We also started playing in August and ended in December playing 10 to 12 game seasons when they are much shorter here. We started training for spring sports on grass in the beginning of Feb. Big guy's down there have much more time to develop as you correctly stated Crusty.

This!

I went to school in Texas and their gym period was practice in addition to have practice before and after school. I don't know if anything has changed in that regard, but they also have the same or similar conditions year round.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom