Men's Soccer - SU 0 (1), Clemson 0 (4): Fri Dec 11, 6:00 PM / ESPNU [NCAA Final Four] | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Men's Soccer SU 0 (1), Clemson 0 (4): Fri Dec 11, 6:00 PM / ESPNU [NCAA Final Four]

BomberOrange said:
this is why soccer sucks. Fine, do shootouts in the regular season but let the teams win on the field not with penalty kicks. But that's soccer.
soccer doesn't suck but it can be frustrating yes

I hate penalty kicks. Just seems so...artificial of a way to determine a winner

Soccer can be a cruel game when you don't finish your chances. From what I saw (I was switching between this and the NYCFC game), Cuse was generally the better team. We just couldn't stick one in the back of the net when we needed to.

Also - it's fun watching your favorite school make a run, but my goodness, the college game is a rough watch.

soccer doesn't suck but it can be frustrating yes
Okay poor choice of words. I'm wrong. But it's just so anti-climactic. Imagine a lax final four game decided by "penalty shots". SU
dominated but if they lost on a legit goal it's ok. All penalty shots proves is that you picked the side the goalie didn't go to ( or went over his head in our case once).

Okay poor choice of words. I'm wrong. But it's just so anti-climactic. Imagine a lax final four game decided by "penalty shots". SU
dominated but if they lost on a legit goal it's ok. All penalty shots proves is that you picked the side the goalie didn't go to ( or went over his head in our case once).
Exactly. The tiger goalie is very good but it still comes down to good fortune in penalty shots. terrible way to end a championship game.

Crushed. The far better team lost. Kudos to their keeper for a few great saves during regulation. We had a ton of opportunities and didn't finish. The big one was Polk 1-1 with the goalie. 10 feet of separation and instead of toe poking it to one side or the other he winds up and hits it as hard as he could...right at the goalie. Ugh.

Proud of the orange though. Losing Callahan the 1st half hurt.

rrlbees said:
Crushed. The far better team lost. Kudos to their keeper for a few great saves during regulation. We had a ton of opportunities and didn't finish. The big one was Polk 1-1 with the goalie. 10 feet of separation and instead of toe poking it to one side or the other he winds up and hits it as hard as he could...right at the goalie. Ugh. Proud of the orange though. Losing Callahan the 1st half hurt.
hope everyone stays but maybe Polk goes pro

Tough loss, so frustrating. Really dislike penalty kicks deciding a game. It's like having the 6th OT SU-UConn basketball game decided by free throws or 5 one on one matchups. We sure had problems finishing our opportunities to score. We really didn't look good taking nor defending penalty kicks though. Seemed like Clemson played a defensive game unlike our attacking style hoping for penalty kicks to be the difference maker.

A game that comes down to penalty kicks is awesome......except of course when you come out on the short end.

SU had lots of chances that they unfortunately didn't capitalize on.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Clemson hand ball in the box near the end.

Surprised nobody has mentioned that Clemson hand ball in the box near the end.

I may be in the minority on this but was okay with the no-call. Yeah, the arm wasn't close to the body but it was in a natural position for sliding. I don't like seeing games decided on murky hand ball penalties, and frankly based on the shootout, even the PK wasn't a given. At the end of the day we ran into a really good keeper that is on fire and couldn't capitalize on some great chances. And, yeah, those two factors are intertwined.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom