SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

SU and UConn set to play at MSG this year

I must have missed the part where anyone told him not to post there. We just wonder why he would want to. Why go to a place that hates our guts? That hopes we lose every game. Seems there are better ways to post on the internet. But no one told him not to. Just that they wouldn't and couldn't understand why he would want to.

Yea, sorry about that, I was mistaken on the "telling him not to post there" part.

This is kinda like my buddy Jon.. He's dating the devil in the flesh.. I don't understand why he dates her, and I know for a fact I wouldn't. I also know that I'm not going to make any progress trying to get to the bottom of it, so I just let him do him.

maybe if said poster wasn't admonishing people in this thread for questioning the benefits of playing ucon...
This entire thread went over your head. Not once did I say we benefit from playing UConn, I said we benefit from playing at MSG, no matter the opponent, and that I'm shocked that half of the posters in this thread, you know who you are, aren't excited about this opportunity.

Fair point. But I do think that UConn remains the most commonly hated team amongst Syracuse fans.

Nope. Just a certain cohort.
Generally those who attended or started watching SU hoops during the late 90's or aughts.

This entire thread went over your head. Not once did I say we benefit from playing UConn, I said we benefit from playing at MSG, no matter the opponent, and that I'm shocked that half of the posters in this thread, you know who you are, aren't excited about this opportunity.

You made it sound like we're ceding the marketplace and recruits to them if we don't.

Deal with the fans at their place and then be excited. As I said I have never been treated worse at a FB venue than I was at UConn and it was their fans not me or my group. They were nasty to SU fans.

At the 2012 BB game they were awful again. That fanbase feels like we owe them some support or something. . Their constant need for validation is annoying. We could play a lot of teams at MSG and it would be better. Playing Connecticut means dealing with that fanbase. I don't rip other fanbases because they aren't the same.

I think a lot of it is a product of our background. Depending on your age, it probably factors in whether Georgetown or UConn means more to you. I split my childhood between Syracuse and Atlanta so our big ACC opponents mean almost as much or equal to me as our Big East rivalries and for people like you that live in NYC, it is awesome to have games like this.
Just turned 32, live in NYC. I would imagine I'm basically right in the prime demo to find this awesome. I get not everyone will feel exactly like me.
I will be 33 in a few weeks, I hate them both, but The Syracuse/Uconn rivalry means more to me.
I'm so old I still hate St. Bonaventure with a passion.

Man... The Blarney, MSG, UCONN... Idk why I was thinking earlier that I wouldn't be attending this.

Put in for Monday and Tuesday off. See ya in NYC, kids!

Jeeze, for the Boneyard to be such a horrible place, that no true cuse fan would visit, some of you guys sure do know a lot about what is being posted there.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schadenfreude

ScottTenormanMustDie30.gif

Stupid. We don't need them but we do them a favor because they need us.

I agree. Not to be all "hater", but where is the recruiting benefit? Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown are really all we need from the old Big East - that covers Philly, NYC and Baltimore/DC.

It helps both teams...this is good game...it will get lots of hype for a December game

Yes, there will be endless talk of the Six Overtime game. So, yeah, I suppose that's good. It will get the blood boiling, but I just don't want to help their program survive as a big time program and that's what this kind of does.

I agree. Not to be all "hater", but where is the recruiting benefit? Villanova, St. John's and Georgetown are really all we need from the old Big East - that covers Philly, NYC and Baltimore/DC.

I guess I'm just never going to understand this take.

UConn is our rival at this point. It's the one game that i always want to play now with Georgetown moving completely to irrelevancy. Our ACC games won't ever, to me, feel like rivalry in conference games.

This is great news.

Give it time. UVa will certainly feel like a rivalry game when we meet them this season. Of course, Duke and Carolina are also teams we are building history with. It takes time, and it will take some runs to the ACC championship game to really amp them up.

I agree. Not to be all "hater", but where is the recruiting benefit?

I dunno, Matt, I don't think this mindset really applies today. The country is so interconnected with social media, ESPN, AAU ball, etc. that I really don't think playing non-conference games in a particular city really matters like it would 30 years ago.

When Kentucky plays Indiana every year, are they thinking in terms of locking up recruits in Bloomington and Lexington? Of course not, they recruit nationally like we do.

And I think there is a very tangible recruiting benefit -- kids want to play in showcase games on national TV that get lots of attention. And an annual game between us and UConn in the Garden absolutely provides that.

Just turned 32, live in NYC. I would imagine I'm basically right in the prime demo to find this awesome. I get not everyone will feel exactly like me.

Yes, but to the over 50 crowd, UConn remains an upstart who grew into a power at our expense, due to cheap shot recruiting by Calhoun when we went on probation. UConn always sucked until then. Then they got one of our recruits (Marshall), and wound up costing us a couple more (Jalen Rose comes to mind) that would have kept us at the top of the conference, instead of having to claw back from mediocrity with the '96 run to the championship game.

UConn, to my age group, equals Virginia Tech football (also grown into a power at our expense), or to more recent fans, Rutgers being a good football team for a short while when Pasqualoni went down the tubes and our football recruiting in New Jersey died. That's how some of us view UConn. And the Kemba Walker run really really pissed me off. It's like suddenly they decided to stop calling traveling for him and gave him the benefit of the "Jordan Rules" for that title run, and then Kevin Ollie? Please, I hate these guys. But I'd rather see them wither and die - well, at least turn into another Gonzaga or Butler - than keep them on the national radar.

Yes, but to the over 50 crowd, UConn remains an upstart who grew into a power at our expense, due to cheap shot recruiting by Calhoun when we went on probation. UConn always sucked until then. Then they got one of our recruits (Marshall), and wound up costing us a couple more (Jalen Rose comes to mind) that would have kept us at the top of the conference, instead of having to claw back from mediocrity with the '96 run to the championship game.

UConn, to my age group, equals Virginia Tech football (also grown into a power at our expense), or to more recent fans, Rutgers being a good football team for a short while when Pasqualoni went down the tubes and our football recruiting in New Jersey died. That's how some of us view UConn. And the Kemba Walker run really really pissed me off. It's like suddenly they decided to stop calling traveling for him and gave him the benefit of the "Jordan Rules" for that title run, and then Kevin Ollie? Please, I hate these guys. But I'd rather see them wither and die - well, at least turn into another Gonzaga or Butler - than keep them on the national radar.

Moral of the story: you have to stop holding grudges. ;) And just focus on being entertained today.

We've won 8 out of 10. Next year will be 9 out of 11. Give it time.

Your point that is kind of annoying is the one you repeated 2 or 3 times now, "What if UConn schedules [a good team] at MSG instead of us playing them?"

Don't you get it? They are free to schedule whoever they want. It's not like us playing them there prevents them from scheduling other teams. Should we be scared of their recruiting? Not really. Surprisingly, we have gone after relatively few of the same kids over the years, this year notwithstanding.

UCONN has a top 10 class coming in. I think they're going to be OK regardless of whether we play them or not.

I guess I'm just never going to understand this take.

Then spend five minutes and look at their league schedule. And then project five or ten years into the future of them mostly playing those teams. And then tell me how we would not be one of the most marquee teams on their schedule.

THAT'S how it helps them stay relevant. I want them to turn into St. Bonaventure, or St. John's. A relic from the past, who once was a rival.

I dunno, Matt, I don't think this mindset really applies today. The country is so interconnected with social media, ESPN, AAU ball, etc. that I really don't think playing non-conference games in a particular city really matters like it would 30 years ago.

When Kentucky plays Indiana every year, are they thinking in terms of locking up recruits in Bloomington and Lexington? Of course not, they recruit nationally like we do.

And I think there is a very tangible recruiting benefit -- kids want to play in showcase games on national TV that get lots of attention. And an annual game between us and UConn in the Garden absolutely provides that.

I think bragging rights counts for a lot more than you do.

Then spend five minutes and look at their league schedule. And then project five or ten years into the future of them mostly playing those teams. And then tell me how we would not be one of the most marquee teams on their schedule.

THAT'S how it helps them stay relevant. I want them to turn into St. Bonaventure, or St. John's. A relic from the past, who once was a rival.

We've been predicting Uconns fall for twenty years. I won't hold my breath waiting for them to turn into Bonaventure.

Okay, but adding another game at MSG is a good thing. More money to SU, it would be nationally televised while Canisius at the Dome wouldn't.

And you still haven't addressed one of my points:
If we don't play this game, UConn plays a team like Michigan, Maryland, or Duke at MSG? Would you rather that happen?

Also, nice to see you resorting to 4th grade insults saying I'm too close to the BY, just because I talk college basketball with non-SU fans in my neighborhood.
1) Plenty of *actual big-name teams* we can set up games with in the Garden
2) No, ucon won't get games in the Garden unless it's part of one of those preseason tourneys/showcases or something
3) Why in the he11 do you want to talk anything with those dimwits? I'll re-ask my question - do you read what is posted about our program, our coaches, our players over there and shared as common sentiment?

Oooooh a Laurie Fine joke? HILARIOUS! Can I hang out with you guys?

Surprisingly, we have gone after relatively few of the same kids over the years, this year notwithstanding.
You lost all credibility with this last statement. We rarely compete with UConn? Do you follow recruiting at all?

2014: UConn really wanted McCullough
2015: UConn really wanted Richardson and Diagne
2016: UConn really wanted Battle

In the last 3 recruiting classes, we competed with UConn for literally half (4 of 8) of our commits.

And this 2017 class is extremely important, if we want to establish ourselves as the unquestioned NCAAB team in the Northeast. Losing these critical NYC kids to UConn or MD or whoever would not be a good look.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom