SU is big time SU is relevant | Syracusefan.com

SU is big time SU is relevant

kcsu

Living Legend
Im sick of the attitude that some of our board members have. The fact of the matter is that Syracuse University will always be big time in sports. We will always be relevant. Today we took the crown in both guys and gals lacrosse. Yesterday we landed one of the top HS football players in the country. Every year we are a threat to win the National championship in basketball and our womens team is nothing to sneeze at. We just completed the IPF and have one of if not the best mens basketball IPF in the country. The dome is known nation wide if not world wide and it is about to get a great make over. We are in a power conf which is without a doubt the best in basketball, lacrosse and has multiple teams that should be in the college football playoff each year. Lets put the negative away and realize that we are a power school one that can compete with on a national basis. It is a good time to be Orange and it is about to get a ton better.
Go Cuse!

th

A man walks down the street
He says why am I soft in the middle now
Why am I soft in the middle
The rest of my life is so hard
I need a photo-opportunity
I want a shot at redemption
Don't want to end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard

You can call me Betty...

Enlighten me on the makeover the dome is getting, I have not heard anything about this.

Yes, what's up with that? I've seen a similar reference in another post. Somebody know something the rest of us don't?

Good post, but I think the main thing that people are frustrated with is the ineptitude of the football program over the last 15ish years. Syracuse has the ability to be a lot better, but I don't think we will ever be able to consistently compete with the Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia's of the country. Could we have a one-off and go 12-1? Sure, but I don't think we could do it right now year in and year out. It comes down to resources. Those are all state schools and funded largely by state money. Syracuse simply doesn't have that luxury. If the BoT and administrators want to truly step up and 100% back the football program, it will go a long way. Will it make up the massive gap between us and Alabama? It's hard to truly say we will ever catch up. Having a "salary cap" type of arrangement for college bball and football annual funding would be incredible to make every year a battle of coaching, but will never, ever happen.

I would be enamored with us competing for an ACC Championship and getting a shot at some point in the CFP. I would say that would be the absolute pinnacle of our potential based on current factors. We could/will certainly compete in the ACC. The issue is that FSU and Clemson have pulled away from a funding perspective, but I remain cautiously optimistic that we will compete at some point in the next 4-6 years for an ACC Championship...

I think this is an excellent post the key word is "relevant". SU has always been relevant to me, source of a great education, it has opened doors that a degree from SUNY Brockport doesn't and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a degree from Brockport. It is relevant because win or loose I enjoy that SU competes at the highest level year after year. Some are more successful than others but we play difficult national schedules every year, and like you I think we are on the verge of another up cycle. SU football may not compete for a NC for a long time but we are definitely relevant.

Good post, but I think the main thing that people are frustrated with is the ineptitude of the football program over the last 15ish years. Syracuse has the ability to be a lot better, but I don't think we will ever be able to consistently compete with the Alabama, Ohio State and Georgia's of the country. Could we have a one-off and go 12-1? Sure, but I don't think we could do it right now year in and year out. It comes down to resources. Those are all state schools and funded largely by state money. Syracuse simply doesn't have that luxury. If the BoT and administrators want to truly step up and 100% back the football program, it will go a long way. Will it make up the massive gap between us and Alabama? It's hard to truly say we will ever catch up. Having a "salary cap" type of arrangement for college bball and football annual funding would be incredible to make every year a battle of coaching, but will never, ever happen.

I would be enamored with us competing for an ACC Championship and getting a shot at some point in the CFP. I would say that would be the absolute pinnacle of our potential based on current factors. We could/will certainly compete in the ACC. The issue is that FSU and Clemson have pulled away from a funding perspective, but I remain cautiously optimistic that we will compete at some point in the next 4-6 years for an ACC Championship...

I agree with this take 100%.

The question for the new AD will be "Given the lack of funds compared to these giant FB factories - how can we spend wisely and efficiently, to compete?"

TheCusian said:
I agree with this take 100%. The question for the new AD will be "Given the lack of funds compared to these giant FB factories - how can we spend wisely and efficiently, to compete?"

We need a Billy Beane-type AD and Joe Maddon-type coach.

Yes, it is true that Syracuse is a private college. Yet, so is Miami. They've been a powerhouse now for a while.

Also, for a good stretch of time just prior to Saban, Alabama wasn't the 800 lbs gorilla of the FBS.

All that being said, Syracuse is, as of right now, a work in progress. It'll take time, and I think that Coach Shafer is on the right path.

I think this is an excellent post the key word is "relevant". SU has always been relevant to me, source of a great education, it has opened doors that a degree from SUNY Brockport doesn't and I'm not saying there is anything wrong with a degree from Brockport. It is relevant because win or loose I enjoy that SU competes at the highest level year after year. Some are more successful than others but we play difficult national schedules every year, and like you I think we are on the verge of another up cycle. SU football may not compete for a NC for a long time but we are definitely relevant.

SUNY Brockport '99 here and the world is our oyster ;)

We do not need huge state funds to field a competative football team. Once the Dome is refurbished our facilities will be in the top 25 across the country. The ACC money which is soon to increase with the launch of the network are more than adequate to keep us in the hunt. Im not saying that we will ever be an Ohio State but we can be a Duke and see our team ranked in the top 25 with an ability to play with anyone on our schedule. SU is a NATIONAL brand. We are known by every HS kid in the country. Our basketball team and the dome ensure that. We are ranked by NFL Networks as one of the top 10 football programs in the country. We have and have had stars in the NFL every year. We have more nationally recogonized sports casters than any other school hands down. Our basketball coach is in the Hall of fame and he has coached our Olympic team for years. We are not some bs regional team like Rutgers. We are a NATIONAL brand in all aspects of higher education including sports. For me i embrace our strenghts and our brand. It drives me crazy when i read posters minutes after RW pledges Orange saying " he wont stick" or we can never compete with the big boys. I say BS. We can and do compete with the big boys because we are a BIG BOY. SU is on the way back. I hope that we land the AD from Vil as i really like his passion and believe he would be a great fit. Our time is now the dark days are over. Get on the bus.

A man walks down the street
He says why am I soft in the middle now
Why am I soft in the middle
The rest of my life is so hard
I need a photo-opportunity
I want a shot at redemption
Don't want to end up a cartoon
In a cartoon graveyard

You can call me Betty...

With some rolly polly little bat-faced girl.

Reactions: 007
Yes, it is true that Syracuse is a private college. Yet, so is Miami. They've been a powerhouse now for a while.

Also, for a good stretch of time just prior to Saban, Alabama wasn't the 800 lbs gorilla of the FBS.

All that being said, Syracuse is, as of right now, a work in progress. It'll take time, and I think that Coach Shafer is on the right path.

Miami, eh?

Yeah, that's an apt comparison.

:crazy::noidea:;)

We do not need huge state funds to field a competative football team. Once the Dome is refurbished our facilities will be in the top 25 across the country. The ACC money which is soon to increase with the launch of the network are more than adequate to keep us in the hunt. Im not saying that we will ever be an Ohio State but we can be a Duke and see our team ranked in the top 25 with an ability to play with anyone on our schedule. SU is a NATIONAL brand. We are known by every HS kid in the country. Our basketball team and the dome ensure that. We are ranked by NFL Networks as one of the top 10 football programs in the country. We have and have had stars in the NFL every year. We have more nationally recogonized sports casters than any other school hands down. Our basketball coach is in the Hall of fame and he has coached our Olympic team for years. We are not some bs regional team like Rutgers. We are a NATIONAL brand in all aspects of higher education including sports. For me i embrace our strenghts and our brand. It drives me crazy when i read posters minutes after RW pledges Orange saying " he wont stick" or we can never compete with the big boys. I say BS. We can and do compete with the big boys because we are a BIG BOY. SU is on the way back. I hope that we land the AD from Vil as i really like his passion and believe he would be a great fit. Our time is now the dark days are over. Get on the bus.
amen bro to both your posts (and Roccos too), love the glass half fullers and just ignore the nabbering nobs of half empty negativists who inevitably show up to rain on the parade of anyone who shows a positive vision for the challenge that is SU football.

If it was even average the past 15 years then no one could take exception with the meat of your posts. They're on their way to at least that and hopefully above average (top 25 again). If you asked me at the end of last year if that was even possible again I'd say, unfortunately, probably not. But with the momentum of the things you wrote and some of these latest recruits (esp. the under the radar alabama kid) along with the seasoning and growth of some vets (coaches too!), I'm now firmly back into the glass half full set for anything to be achieved (at least along the lines of what Rocco posted).

Its in the works and in the mix, and you're right it all adds up to being "big time" in the big picture. We're lucky to have it around here. Nice post.

Last edited:
Miami, eh?

Yeah, that's an apt comparison.

:crazy::noidea:;)

The real advantage Miami has is geography ... they are in the backyard of some elite recruits ... if you switched the geographies of Syracuse and Miami you would also flip the scripts.

amen bro to both your posts (and Roccos too), love the glass half fullers and just ignore the nabbering nobs of half empty negativists who inevitably show up to rain on the parade of anyone who shows a positive vision for the challenge that is SU football.

If it was even average the past 15 years then no one could take exception with the meat of your posts. They're on their way to at least that and hopefully above average (top 25 again). If you asked me at the end of last year if that was even possible again I'd say, unfortunately, probably not. But with the momentum of the things you wrote and some of these latest recruits (esp. the under the radar alabama kid) along with the seasoning and growth of some vets (coaches too!), I'm now firmly back into the glass half full set for anything to be achieved (at least along the lines of what Rocco posted).

Its in the works and in the mix, and you're right it all adds up to being "big time" in the big picture. We're lucky to have it around here. Nice post.
Thank you. I grew up around SU went to games back with floyd and Zonk when i was a kid and then went through the dark days. I will never forget making the Cherry Bowl which was the start of something big. We will be back and i hope that it is under HCSS who really seems to understand the right type of kids to target for Syracuse. We all know he can coach the D as i feel as if he is one of the D coaches out there. Lets hope that Tim can put together an adequate O this year and that we sneak into a bowl and they are retained. I think that if provided the full five years this staff is going to be fine. Im hearing from pretty good sources that the dome is the answer and that it will be more than a new roof. I like this solution as keeping the venue on campus is what makes it special. All in all i expect us to take a huge leap this year in our level of play and look to 16 as being a solid 8 win campaign. As to hoops i believe that sanctions will be reduced and i expect us to get one ship back and one more coach allowed to recruit. Our next AD is critical. Not to repeat myself but i have heard really good things about the Vil AD and feel as if he would be a good fit. Looking forward to the season and to better days ahead for our Orange!

Syracuse football needs a Nebraska moment at this point. Doesn't necessarily need to be the #1 team in the country, but we need to win a game when everyone thinks we can't.

Two reasons - to change perception of the team, and to help this staff build on what it has already established. Which is a solid foundation with two good recruiting classes that I think will be the core of the 2016 & 2017 seasons. Two seasons in which we should take a step up and compete for 8-10 wins and a decent bowl not named the Pinstripe.

As has been mentioned in the past, having FSU & Clemson in our division stinks. But if we can catch one of them on an off year or an off game (which we could have done at Clemson this year if we would have had a Division I QB playing), that would go a long way in gaining respectability of our program back nationally.

Scott Shafer is a good guy and a great defensive mind. And I really hope he succeeds. I still have a hard time getting over the ISIS comments he made in a postgame press conference. No relevance to what was going on and a deflection of the question/topic during a rough period in the season. Didn't like that from him. And hope he has learned from that.

Love this thread. Thanks for voicing the perspective. SU is indeed relevant with occasional dominance in some sports. We've been competitive in bball & fball which will keep us in the tournament mix where anything can happen. I'm loving the lacrosse team but will be happiest as a fan when football gets better and I'm gambling that will happen this year to a significant degree. I especially have liked being part of the fan community through this board. I for one am optimistic for the future including this year. See you in 302 this fall!
Thank you. I grew up around SU went to games back with floyd and Zonk when i was a kid and then went through the dark days. I will never forget making the Cherry Bowl which was the start of something big. We will be back and i hope that it is under HCSS who really seems to understand the right type of kids to target for Syracuse. We all know he can coach the D as i feel as if he is one of the D coaches out there. Lets hope that Tim can put together an adequate O this year and that we sneak into a bowl and they are retained. I think that if provided the full five years this staff is going to be fine. Im hearing from pretty good sources that the dome is the answer and that it will be more than a new roof. I like this solution as keeping the venue on campus is what makes it special. All in all i expect us to take a huge leap this year in our level of play and look to 16 as being a solid 8 win campaign. As to hoops i believe that sanctions will be reduced and i expect us to get one ship back and one more coach allowed to recruit. Our next AD is critical. Not to repeat myself but i have heard really good things about the Vil AD and feel as if he would be a good fit. Looking forward to the season and to better days ahead for our Orange!

The real advantage Miami has is geography ... they are in the backyard of some elite recruits ... if you switched the geographies of Syracuse and Miami you would also flip the scripts.

Would the script include the period during which a renegade football program essentially operated outside the control of anyone in the Administration?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom