SU Offensive Coordinators | Syracusefan.com

SU Offensive Coordinators

Crusty

Living Legend
I was thinking about our under-performing offense since the Pasqualoni era, and took a look back at OC's during this period. Please feel free to offer any corrections as this information comes from disparate sources, none of which (including http://www.cuse.com/sports/2008/2/4/020408All-TimeFootballCoachesAlphabetical.aspx) are totally accurate.

Of the eight previous OC's, half came to the job without any previous OC experience. Three of them served under GROB. None of them are currently OC's and only one is a HC and that one is in HS.

I am starting to think that Lester has a better chance of producing an effective offense because of his previous 8 years experience as HC or OC at DIII Elmhurst and St Joseph's. He has also had 2 years of D1 experience. I keep thinking that if we can field just an average offense we can have a winning season. More importantly, continuity under an experienced OC would be a big advantage going forward.

I like the fact that Lester is keeping a low profile and has resisted any temptation to jabber to the press. I have high hopes he will use his available talent wisely and get off to a good start.

upload_2015-5-17_11-3-18.png

Crusty said:
I was thinking about our under-performing offense since the Pasqualoni era, and took a look back at OC's during this period. Please feel free to offer any corrections as this information comes from disparate sources, none of which (including http://www.cuse.com/sports/2008/2/4/020408All-TimeFootballCoachesAlphabetical.aspx) are totally accurate. Of the eight previous OC's, half came to the job without any previous OC experience. Three of them served under GROB. None of them are currently OC's and only one is a HC and that one is in HS. I am starting to think that Lester has a better chance of producing an effective offense because of his previous 8 years
experience as HC or OC at DIII Elmhurst and St Joseph's. He has also had 2 years of D1 experience. I keep thinking that if we can field just an average offense we can have a winning season. More importantly, continuity under an experienced OC would be a big advantage going forward. I like the fact that Lester is keeping a low profile and has resisted any temptation to jabber to the press. I have high hopes he will use his available talent wisely and get off to a good start.
I would love to have back Mitch browning or Brian white. I

anomander said:
You get what you pay for.

Kind of. Those great OC's came from some place. And lots of OC's at big schools flame out too.

I think generally that's a good rule of thumb - but you still have to be able to identify real coaching talent.

I was thinking about our under-performing offense since the Pasqualoni era, and took a look back at OC's during this period. Please feel free to offer any corrections as this information comes from disparate sources, none of which (including http://www.cuse.com/sports/2008/2/4/020408All-TimeFootballCoachesAlphabetical.aspx) are totally accurate.

Of the eight previous OC's, half came to the job without any previous OC experience. Three of them served under GROB. None of them are currently OC's and only one is a HC and that one is in HS.

I am starting to think that Lester has a better chance of producing an effective offense because of his previous 8 years experience as HC or OC at DIII Elmhurst and St Joseph's. He has also had 2 years of D1 experience. I keep thinking that if we can field just an average offense we can have a winning season. More importantly, continuity under an experienced OC would be a big advantage going forward.

I like the fact that Lester is keeping a low profile and has resisted any temptation to jabber to the press. I have high hopes he will use his available talent wisely and get off to a good start.

View attachment 42859

Agree. Use the talent you have, not what you wish you had

Keeping an OC for more than one season might help. Stability really couldn't hurt the program or the staff if they show any glimmer of talent. I am always hopeful but we'll see how the game management goes ... and Lester can't be quiet forever about the offense. That won't work for him either. Press and public want their due.

Keeping an OC for more than one season might help. Stability really couldn't hurt the program or the staff if they show any glimmer of talent. I am always hopeful but we'll see how the game management goes ... and Lester can't be quiet forever about the offense. That won't work for him either. Press and public want their due.

True--I'm certainly not going to dispute continuity / consistency being beneficial. But keeping an OC for consistency requires them being worth keeping around.

Would love to have that guy in place, for us to build around. Hope it's Lester. But I'm skeptical until I see the results on the field.

View attachment 42859
SU was 116th in offense. Needs to improve 52 spots.

Last year Pitt, Memphis, Mich St, Western Mich, Mass, Texas State, and TCU did that.

Prior year, Auburn,Washington,Missouri,Colorado State,Illinois,Bowling Green,Hawai'i,South Alabama, LSU did that

SU improved 73 spost from 2011 to 2012

not unheard of but pretty uncommon

I would love to have back Mitch browning or Brian white. I
Brian White and his pistol formation were horrible.
Browning is a great OL coach but not much more and was part of the school's worst loss in 100 years to Akron at home.
I don't want anything from the Robinson era to ever come within 100 miles of cny again.

Millhouse said:
SU was 116th in offense. Needs to improve 52 spots. Last year Pitt, Memphis, Mich St, Western Mich, Mass, Texas State, and TCU did that. Prior year, Auburn,Washington,Missouri,Colorado State,Illinois,Bowling Green,Hawai'i,South Alabama, LSU did that SU improved 73 spost from 2011 to 2012 not unheard of but pretty uncommon

For sure. Pitt is an interesting case study. Ran the ball a ton and had one stud WR with a competent (if unspectacular) starting QB.

Not sure what Lester's system really is... But with any system we're going to need a RB to emerge, a couple of receivers/hbacks to make a jump in production, and Hunt to pass well enough and run well enough to tie the whole deal together.

I'm also hopeful in that Lester's O has gotten called "simple"... A change in OC from overly complex to "master the simple" could provide a nice boost in efficiency.

Washington State disagrees with you

They got what they paid for- a lot of offense and not many wins.

Now, should they be paying as much as they are for what they are getting is another question entirely.

True--I'm certainly not going to dispute continuity / consistency being beneficial. But keeping an OC for consistency requires them being worth keeping around.

Would love to have that guy in place, for us to build around. Hope it's Lester. But I'm skeptical until I see the results on the field.
mcdonald might've been the best hire of all those guys at the time he was hired even though he's a total fool and i was glad he was fired quick. i want SU to keep rolling the dice on young up and coming guys with the right offense. preferably one that isn't a moron and one that can call plays. swing for the fences and move on when it doesn't work. next time, do a better job interviewing and find out if the guy actually knows the offense

For sure. Pitt is an interesting case study. Ran the ball a ton and had one stud WR with a competent (if unspectacular) starting QB.

Not sure what Lester's system really is... But with any system we're going to need a RB to emerge, a couple of receivers/hbacks to make a jump in production, and Hunt to pass well enough and run well enough to tie the whole deal together.

I'm also hopeful in that Lester's O has gotten called "simple"... A change in OC from overly complex to "master the simple" could provide a nice boost in efficiency.
pitt's offense is so bad most years compared to the talent they have on their offense. it's like they sandbagged (not really)

pitt's offense is so bad most years compared to the talent they have on their offense. it's like they sandbagged (not really)

Agreed. They routinely underperform all over the field though.

mcdonald might've been the best hire of all those guys at the time he was hired even though he's a total fool and i was glad he was fired quick. i want SU to keep rolling the dice on young up and coming guys with the right offense. preferably one that isn't a moron and one that can call plays. swing for the fences and move on when it doesn't work. next time, do a better job interviewing and find out if the guy actually knows the offense

You just described Lester.

You just described Lester.
no i didn't. cubit coaching tree who was ok in DIII doesn't qualify as up and coming. difference between up and coming and "who??"

no i didn't. cubit coaching tree who was ok in DIII doesn't qualify as up and coming. difference between up and coming and "who??"

Ha! In your opinion, which isn't worth as much as you think it is.

As we've discussed prior - Lester was not just "ok" at Elmhurst. His offenses were in the top percentile with 300+ schools. Rated out that's a top 2o offense. Were there better guys? Of course. But not that knew Shafer and whom Shafer trusted. As much as you think that doesn't matter, it does to SS.

I'm fairly certain that coaching trees are poor indicators of success. Who was head coach of New Hampshire in 1999? We should find out who else coached under that guy. Could have the next Chip Kelly. Also: Oregon boosters when they hired Chip: "who??"

Now - I'm not saying Lester is Kelly. Or that he will be good this season. I have no idea. But neither do you.

Ha! In your opinion, which isn't worth as much as you think it is.

As we've discussed prior - Lester was not just "ok" at Elmhurst. His offenses were in the top percentile with 300+ schools. Rated out that's a top 2o offense. Were there better guys? Of course. But not that knew Shafer and whom Shafer trusted. As much as you think that doesn't matter, it does to SS.

I'm fairly certain that coaching trees are poor indicators of success. Who was head coach of New Hampshire in 1999? We should find out who else coached under that guy. Could have the next Chip Kelly. Also: Oregon boosters when they hired Chip: "who??"

Now - I'm not saying Lester is Kelly. Or that he will be good this season. I have no idea. But neither do you.
no one needed to talk about the size of the denominator trying to justify chip kelly back then because they were at the very top in offense

no one needed to talk about the size of the denominator trying to justify chip kelly back then because they were at the very top in offense

Agree with a lot of what you say, but can we agree to hold off complete judgement on Lester until we see what he's able to do with an offseason and camp? And at least give me some hope we might be better this year?

Our offense may still stink because of the talent we have but I think we'll know a lot more in October about Lester as an OC than we do based on some numbers from the D3 ranks.

That's exactly what McDonald was--the right gamble at the right time. I was very nervous about whether he'd have the chops to be an OC versus a position coach when Shafer originally hired him, but thought it would be a worthwhile risk based upon the ostensible recruiting prowess. It turns out, he wasn't that good at either of those things. And was collossally overmatched as an OC. I give Shafer a lot of credit.

The annual syracusefan.com football board preseason theme song....

You've gotta have heart
All you really need is heart
When the odds are sayin' you'll never win
That's when the grin should start
You've gotta have hope
Mustn't sit around and mope
Nothin's half as bad as it may appear
Wait'll next year and hope

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member