SU Offensive Coordinators | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

SU Offensive Coordinators

Handed a walk-on my butt. I looked at the 2008 roster, we had Nassib, Arob, Legree, and Dantley. 3 scholarship QBs, one who ended up in the NFL. Browning and Grob put Dantley under center, whatever happens at that point is on them.
nassib should thank his lucky stars he wasn't arobbed in 2008. arob by 2008 was throwing with his wrong hand. legree didn't exactly set the world on fire at hampton, he was ok by his senior year

nassib should thank his lucky stars he wasn't arobbed in 2008. arob by 2008 was throwing with his wrong hand. legree didn't exactly set the world on fire at hampton, he was ok by his senior year
I'm not disagreeing that they might have ruined Nassib but the point is they made a walk-on a starter and when Marrone got here he went right back to holding the clip board behind Nassib and Paulus, he never should have started for this team and that's on Browning and Grob.

I'm not disagreeing that they might have ruined Nassib but the point is they made a walk-on a starter and when Marrone got here he went right back to holding the clip board behind Nassib and Paulus, he never should have started for this team and that's on Browning and Grob.
i'm pretty sure browning and grob would've preferred paulus. nassib hardly threw the ball even after sitting out a year

i feel the same way about browning as I do lester. the results have to matter somewhat. SU's offense was 115th in 2008. SU's offense was 116th in 2014. how bad would the offense have to be for browning or lester to take some of the blame?

i keep referring to dave chappelle testifying for r kelly. but that's what this makes me think of. how many good offensive coordinators have ever had years that bad?

I'm not saying he was great. But to not look at what he was handed is very un-Go like. Goes thru spring practice with Mike Williams. Oops, he cheated on a final. Sorry, we're taking him away. Donte Davis is your #1 guy now. ARob has some sort of shoulder injury, I assume from the beating he took in 2007 (under-publicized story), comes out in the opener and can't reach the WR on an out pattern. Pyle wants them to start the true freshman from the wing T offense because he was really good 4 years later.

Browning's worst career decision was taking the job in the first place. At least he was smart enough not to buy a house.

Marrone comes in, convinces a CBA guy to come along (where have I seen that before), gets Mike Williams back, and look what happened? We scored 3 more points and had 60 more yards per game.

I'm not saying he was great. But to not look at what he was handed is very un-Go like. Goes thru spring practice with Mike Williams. Oops, he cheated on a final. Sorry, we're taking him away. Donte Davis is your #1 guy now. ARob has some sort of shoulder injury, I assume from the beating he took in 2007 (under-publicized story), comes out in the opener and can't reach the WR on an out pattern. Pyle wants them to start the true freshman from the wing T offense because he was really good 4 years later.

Browning's worst career decision was taking the job in the first place. At least he was smart enough not to buy a house.

Marrone comes in, convinces a CBA guy to come along (where have I seen that before), gets Mike Williams back, and look what happened? We scored 3 more points and had 60 more yards per game.
the 2009 offensive coordinator deserves to be mentioned though. he stunk the most.

the 2009 offensive coordinator deserves to be mentioned though. he stunk the most.

The list of people who have their worst years at Syracuse is growing by the day.

I still say it's not all us. I mean, it's hard to imagine that we had the same Brian White that was OC at Wisconsin. Alvarez had him under a tight leash. "I have this idea for a pistol." "Pack your bags"

I wonder how many stories there are of OCs freezing up in the booth? We've supposedly had 2 in 6 years (Spence and McLovin'). You'd think Pariani had a few times where he just vomited into the headset and Perry figured I don't know, I think he just wants me to throw deep to the converted cornerback.

What a fun ride since 1998. Someone should write a book.

Millhouse said:
i feel the same way about browning as I do lester. the results have to matter somewhat. SU's offense was 115th in 2008. SU's offense was 116th in 2014. how bad would the offense have to be for browning or lester to take some of the blame? i keep referring to dave chappelle testifying for r kelly. but that's what this makes me think of. how many good offensive coordinators have ever had years that bad?

You feel like Lester has escaped some of the blame?

You feel like Lester has escaped some of the blame?
he still has a job unlike browning and spence and just about any other coach who has an offense that bad

hell he got promoted from interim to permanent

Millhouse said:
he still has a job unlike browning and spence and just about any other coach who has an offense that bad hell he got promoted from interim to permanent

The back half of the season wasn't an audition. Shafer wanted him as OC (maybe at the tail end of his first year). Browning and Spence both installed their systems. And for a guy who believe systems and coaching trees are important you sure like to shovel dirt on a guy who has yet to call a play in his own offense at Syracuse.

The list of people who have their worst years at Syracuse is growing by the day.

I still say it's not all us. I mean, it's hard to imagine that we had the same Brian White that was OC at Wisconsin. Alvarez had him under a tight leash. "I have this idea for a pistol." "Pack your bags"

I wonder how many stories there are of OCs freezing up in the booth? We've supposedly had 2 in 6 years (Spence and McLovin'). You'd think Pariani had a few times where he just vomited into the headset and Perry figured I don't know, I think he just wants me to throw deep to the converted cornerback.

why is it so hard for SU to look around college football and see which offenses have consistent QB play and do that! you'd think that by now we'd have a normal college offense by accident after firing 300 coaches who insist on being different

we have all these desperate knuckleheads that think a pistol or a bubble screen or now an h back is some magic bullet.

The back half of the season wasn't an audition. Shafer wanted him as OC (maybe at the tail end of his first year). Browning and Spence both installed their systems. And for a guy who believe systems and coaching trees are important you sure like to shovel dirt on a guy who has yet to call a play in his own offense at Syracuse.
i don't like his system or his coaching tree

the offense for which he was the coordinator was the worst and he got promoted. i wish i could get blamed like that!

Why are we arguing about 2008? It was worse than last year and has no bearing on the future of this team. Talking about it makes me throw up a little in my mouth. Maybe Dantley was Browning's only option maybe not, but I want no part of 2008 ever coming near this program again.

i don't like his system or his coaching tree

the offense for which he was the coordinator was the worst and he got promoted. i wish i could get blamed like that!

I'm going to remain as optimistic as possible with this and mention that if you don't get a full training camp to implement what you want, it's going to be hard to be successful coming in midyear.

Especially if the playbook that you are given is something you don't believe in. And it's pretty clear he didn't believe in what McDonald was doing.

I understand he was the QB coach and knew the playbook, so that's not an issue. But if you're given something that's a pile of crap to go along with two QBs who are not D1 material, you could have Bill Walsh as your OC and it probably won't matter.

He absolutely shouldn't be absolved from all the blame, but I'm willing to give him a benefit of the doubt heading into this year.

If we score 10 points in the 1st half against Rhode Island, however, all bets are off.

Let's Pariani lost it, Spence lost it, McF**it lost it, White go a DUI.

Tough job.

Why are we arguing about 2008? It was worse than last year and has no bearing on the future of this team. Talking about it makes me throw up a little in my mouth. Maybe Dantley was Browning's only option maybe not, but I want no part of 2008 ever coming near this program again.

It marginally worse than last year.

Let's Pariani lost it, Spence lost it, McF**it lost it, White go a DUI.

Tough job.
Pariani never had it
Spence couldn't find it in his little bubble
White couldn't stop shooting himself in the foot with his pistol
McDonald threw darts at a chalkboard(yeah I said chalkboard)

It marginally worse than last year.

No it was way worse, we played in a crap-azz conference, got hammered by Akron at home, and didn't lose both the 1st and 2nd string QBs in the process. The W-L record might have been the same but 2008 was a complete disaster. Last year felt more like a boat taking on water with a busted pump.

Millhouse said:
why is it so hard for SU to look around college football and see which offenses have consistent QB play and do that! you'd think that by now we'd have a normal college offense by accident after firing 300 coaches who insist on being different we have all these desperate knuckleheads that think a pistol or a bubble screen or now an h back is some magic bullet.

What a giant pile of BS. So all the programs that are effective don't have these things? C'mon. All programs have variations and different sets and different names for the same position. H-back or slot receiver is nomenclature.

Houston's offense is different than Clemson which is different than TCU. I think you just know more about our offenses. And they have sucked. But you're drawing a corollary that doesn't exist.

Millhouse said:
i don't like his system or his coaching tree the offense for which he was the coordinator was the worst and he got promoted. i wish i could get blamed like that!

Revisionist. He got promoted publicly a couple of games in. And are you so sure he was internally promoted the second George got demoted?

You don't know his system and coaching trees are lame and overrated.

All of those coaches except Pariani ended up a step below what they were before they came to SU. Coming to SU was not good for SU, but it was bad for each of them ultimately. I know, I know, Hackett became an OC in the NFL after. But someone realized he can't do it there and he's back now as a QB coach.

I would love to have back Mitch browning or Brian white. I
Mitch Browning was great. It's too bad that he was only here for one year and we had a bad defense. His numbers don't really do him justice. He dramatically improved our team.

If we could cobble together Mitch Browining as DC, HCSS as DC, and FHCDM as HC, we would easily have a top 25 team - especially if we could get Atkins as OL and McD as WR.

Until Syracuse brings in an OC from anywhere other than Indiana/Illinois, it's going to be grim. Ever heard of the "Midwest Offense"? I haven't either.

I'm bitter.

I'm a die hard though. Hope springs eternal.
Indiana actually has/had a great offense. They were probably best in the B1G the year before last. I would HAPPILY take their OC.

Brian White and his pistol formation were horrible.
Browning is a great OL coach but not much more and was part of the school's worst loss in 100 years to Akron at home.
I don't want anything from the Robinson era to ever come within 100 miles of cny again.
Browning's offense was ~average, but he was only at SU for one year, and without him, we would have been comically bad. Hitting average under his working conditions was a massive feat. Given more time and a halfway decent defense, we would have been good.

nzm136 said:
Browning's offense was ~average, but he was only at SU for one year, and without him, we would have been comically bad. Hitting average under his working conditions was a massive feat. Given more time and a halfway decent defense, we would have been good.
They were terrible, not average. 115th in the country

Average? Where do you get that from?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom