SU: So Little Concern About Tradition | Syracusefan.com

SU: So Little Concern About Tradition

Col. Bleep

All American
At least when there's $$$ to be made.

Here's an item from Phil Mushnick's column in today's NY Post:

We’ve heard from a stack of Syracuse alumni upset the Orange will wear three new football uniforms, this season, none of them emphasizing orange

Hey, don’t tell me; tell Syracuse. Maybe the alumni can lead a “Say No To Nike” revolt.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/20/finally-a-weekend-of-quality-sports-tvradio-coverage/

Phil Mushnik is a hack and his columns are often filled with thinly veiled racism.
Don;t know much about that, but he's got a point. If un-Orange uniforms are a slap in the face of Syracuse fans and alums, shouldn't we protest?

Not a fan of Nike whatsoever but what really is tradition? SU doesn't play at Archibald anymore. Should they play go back to being an independent? Hell...the football team can't get 40K there and to me it seems that this is going to be yet another excuse on why not to go.

At least when there's $$$ to be made.

Here's an item from Phil Mushnick's column in today's NY Post:

We’ve heard from a stack of Syracuse alumni upset the Orange will wear three new football uniforms, this season, none of them emphasizing orange

Hey, don’t tell me; tell Syracuse. Maybe the alumni can lead a “Say No To Nike” revolt.

http://nypost.com/2014/04/20/finally-a-weekend-of-quality-sports-tvradio-coverage/
People who complain about sports uniforms are idiots.

Lets be concerned with continuing to improve our program and get W's. If they give it their all and show improvement, I don't care what uniforms they wear!

Last edited:
Don;t know much about that, but he's got a point. If un-Orange uniforms are a slap in the face of Syracuse fans and alums, shouldn't we protest?

they arent a slap in the face to me. I like them a lot.

Lets be concerned with continuing to improve our program and get W's. If they give it their all and show improvement, I don't care what uniforms they wear!

Exactly. The "tradition" built in the early 2000's was one of inferiority. We have started to win some games and the talent level is increasing. Often when people talk tradition they reference how Bama, penn state, and Notre dame keep things the same, but those programs for the most part have an unwavering following, and a decent history of success. As long as the Wins pile up I am fine with the current uniform situation.

You guys ought to be careful. If the Syracuse fan base trolls Nike hard enough, they'll go nuclear and roll out pink and pea green throwbacks. "You said you wanted tradition..."

Anyone who is upset to the point of protest should buy tickets to the Villanova game and protest the uniforms at halftime.

Phil Mushnick is a miserable human being, and the next positive article he pens about ANYTHING, will be his first.
He's Debbie Downer meets Dean Wormer meets Grumpy Old Man...just perpetually miserable.

he may be miserable but if it were up to him, ESPN would be destroyed from the inside out...i am 100% on board with that

What exactly is tradition? Other than the few alternate orange jerseys we have worn, when has orange ever been THE main part of our uniform? Kids these days love having uniform options. If you watched the interviews with our current players talking about the new uniforms the word "thankful" kept popping up. These guys are excited about the new uniforms and if their excitement is any indication I am sure recruits will be excited about them as well. What we, as fans, especially since most on here are hardcore fans, think of uniforms should literally be the last thing on the mind of the people deciding what uniforms we wear. If you are a fan who is going to not go to a game because of a team's uniform that's just weird. If you are a fan who now won't buy a jersey because of this change, more than likely you already have an old style jersey already.

Personally, I love the new orange helmets, and the overall look of the uniforms. The only thing I worry about is being able to see the orange numbers easily on the blue jerseys. One of our "traditional" jerseys in the past had orange numbers on blue jerseys with no border and they were difficult to see. Even I didn't like the new uniforms, they wouldn't keep me from cheering for SU or going to a game, but maybe that's just me.

Protest UNIFORMS??? Really, there's got to be something better to get worked up about.

Did this uproar happen when Grob was here and we switched to the numbers on the helmets? And the stripes on the shoulders

Protest UNIFORMS??? Really, there's got to be something better to get worked up about.
What do you think we should wear for our protest UNIFORMS? Something Orange, I hope.

What do you think we should wear for our protest UNIFORMS? Something Orange, I hope.
This:
The_Junk_Mail.jpg

Phil Mushnick is a miserable human being, and the next positive article he pens about ANYTHING, will be his first.
He's Debbie Downer meets Dean Wormer meets Grumpy Old Man...just perpetually miserable.
But give him his due. Nobody beats a dead horse more thoroughly than Mushnick.

Tell you what, I'll make Darryl (and the others responsible for such decisions) a trade... give us back the ORANGEMEN and you can paint our jerseys pink if you want. Okay, that might be a bit extreme but discarding the OrangeMEN was a bad move in my mind. I always thought the Orangemen had a cool and unique ring to it. Now we are the Orange (for branding purposes) but have very little orange in our uniforms. Okay, makes perfect sense. :confused:

Oh yeah, and don't even get me started with Otto. He/she is such a damn fruit (in more ways than one).