SU Softball Update | Syracusefan.com

SU Softball Update

sutomcat

No recent Cali or Iggy awards; Mr Irrelevant
04232014_S_WSoftballGamer_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Frosh Sensation Syd O'Hara Throws Another Shutout, Blanking Niagara 5-0 (DO; Schwedelson)Grossman)

Between two stints of rain, 93 pitches and seven shutout innings, it was business as usual for Syracuse ace Sydney O’Hara.

O’Hara’s dominance on the mound for Syracuse (21-22, 10-11 Atlantic Coast) was backed by two home runs in a 5-0 win over Niagara (13-24) at SU Softball Stadium on Tuesday night in front of 74 fans.

Senior Jasmine Watson, playing catcher in the game, and sophomore shortstop Corinne Ozanne each went deep. Watson collected another RBI on a double and O’Hara helped herself out by driving in the other two runs with a double.

04232014_S_WSoftballSider_LoganReidsma_SP.jpg

Jasmine Watson Uses Patient Approach to Power Syracuse Past Niagara (DO; Schwedelson)

Just before Jasmine Watson came to bat in the first inning, Corinne Ozanne told her to be disciplined and wait for her pitch.

Ozanne ripped a solo home run to the pine trees in right-center field with two outs. After receiving Ozanne’s advice, Watson clobbered a home run to left field that could only be contained by the netting beyond the outfield wall.

“I was just making sure that I was really selective on the pitches that I chose to hit,” Watson said.

Softball pitching is just amazing to me. If I tried to make that motion, I'm not sure my shoulder would ever recover.

Softball pitching is just amazing to me. If I tried to make that motion, I'm not sure my shoulder would ever recover.

It's actually a more natural arm motion than pitching in baseball.

Never paid a ton of attention to the girls softball before. But I'm starting to see them pop up everywhere. We were boarding a plane Sunday on our connect from Cuse back to Denver and the girls softball team was in line boarding next to us, heading back to Cuse. Got to talk to them a bit. Now I'm going to have to start paying more attention.