SU transfers | Syracusefan.com

SU transfers

SWC75

Bored Historian
Bud and the Manchild were talking about players who had transferred from SU and how well they did. Jim Lersh, (the Manchild), asked for some examples of players who done well. He didn't think there were too many. Bobby Lazor and Tony Bland got mentioned. I'd done a pos ton this about a decade ago but that was 3-4 computers ago and I was unable to find it. I decided to do a project on it and discovered it had basically been done:
http://www.orangehoops.org/Syracuse Transfers.htm

What i decided to do is to put together an all-star team of guys who transferred from SU and an all-star team of guys who transferred to SU: Who would win? (I’ll limit this to the Boeheim Era)

Going strictly by position:

CENTER
Richard Manning 17.3ppg 7.1rpg 0.9apg

FORWARDS
Keith Hughes 19.6ppg 9.0rpg 0.7apg
Bobby Lazor 17.4ppg 8.3rpg 2.3apg

GUARDS
Matt Roe 17.8ppg 5.5rpg 2.2apg
Earl Duncan 14.6ppg 2.7rpg 3.7apg

That would be a pretty good team. Here’s the SU team:

CENTER
LeRon Ellis 8.6ppg 5.9rpg 1.3apg

FORWARDS
Wes Johnson 16.5ppg 8.5rpg 2.2apg
Leo Rautins 14.2ppg 7.3rpg 2.2apg

GUARDS
Jason Cipolla 13.2ppg 3.5rpg 2.8apg
Michael Lloyd 12.5ppg 3.2rpg 5.2apg

I think that team would be very competitive against the above team. I especially like our forwards.

Here’s a list of guys who transferred from SU and scored in double figures elsewhere. I’ve added who they were playing behind when they were here for context.

Keith Hughes to Rutgers 19.6ppg was behind Derrck Coleman

Rich Manning to Washington 17.8ppg was behind LeRon Ellis

Matt Roe to Maryland 17.8ppg was a starter (still don’t know why he transferred)

Bobby Lazor to Arizona State 17.4ppg was behind John Wallace

Rock Lloyd to Long Beach State 17.4ppg was behind Marius Janulis

Tony Bland to San Diego State 16.1ppg shared with Preston Shumpert(669 minutes to 668)

DeShaun Williams to Iona 14.8ppg was a starter (punched out Otto the Orange)

Earl Duncan to Rutgers Rutgers 14.6ppg was behind Sherman Douglas

Anthony Harris to Hawaii 14.0ppg was behind Mike Hopkins

Mike Sheehey to St. Bonaventure 13.5ppg was behind Eric Santifer

Xzavier Gaines to NW Missouri 13.2ppg was behind Louie McCrosky

Glenn Sekunda to Penn State 13.0ppg was behind John Wallace

Louie McCrosky to Marist 12.1ppg was behind Eric Devendorf

LeSean Howard to Hampton 12.0ppg was behind Todd Burgan and Marius Janulis (F-G)

George Papadakos to Michigan St. 10.1ppg was behind Rony Seikaly

While these guys did well, their playing time here was usually limited by being behind a superior player, or perhaps a more experienced one with a skill level in a similar range.

Bud and the Manchild were talking about players who had transferred from SU and how well they did. Jim Lersh, (the Manchild), asked for some examples of players who done well. He didn't think there were too many. Bobby Lazor and Tony Bland got mentioned. I'd done a pos ton this about a decade ago but that was 3-4 computers ago and I was unable to find it. I decided to do a project on it and discovered it had basically been done:
http://www.orangehoops.org/Syracuse Transfers.htm

What i decided to do is to put together an all-star team of guys who transferred from SU and an all-star team of guys who transferred to SU: Who would win? (I’ll limit this to the Boeheim Era)

Going strictly by position:

CENTER
Richard Manning 17.3ppg 7.1rpg 0.9apg

FORWARDS
Keith Hughes 19.6ppg 9.0rpg 0.7apg
Bobby Lazor 17.4ppg 8.3rpg 2.3apg

GUARDS
Matt Roe 17.8ppg 5.5rpg 2.2apg
Earl Duncan 14.6ppg 2.7rpg 3.7apg

That would be a pretty good team. Here’s the SU team:

CENTER
LeRon Ellis 8.6ppg 5.9rpg 1.3apg

FORWARDS
Wes Johnson 16.5ppg 8.5rpg 2.2apg
Leo Rautins 14.2ppg 7.3rpg 2.2apg

GUARDS
Jason Cipolla 13.2ppg 3.5rpg 2.8apg
Michael Lloyd 12.5ppg 3.2rpg 5.2apg

I think that team would be very competitive against the above team. I especially like our forwards.

Here’s a list of guys who transferred from SU and scored in double figures elsewhere. I’ve added who they were playing behind when they were here for context.

Keith Hughes to Rutgers 19.6ppg was behind Derrck Coleman

Rich Manning to Washington 17.8ppg was behind LeRon Ellis

Matt Roe to Maryland 17.8ppg was a starter (still don’t know why he transferred)

Bobby Lazor to Arizona State 17.4ppg was behind John Wallace

Rock Lloyd to Long Beach State 17.4ppg was behind Marius Janulis

Tony Bland to San Diego State 16.1ppg shared with Preston Shumpert(669 minutes to 668)

DeShaun Williams to Iona 14.8ppg was a starter (punched out Otto the Orange)

Earl Duncan to Rutgers Rutgers 14.6ppg was behind Sherman Douglas

Anthony Harris to Hawaii 14.0ppg was behind Mike Hopkins

Mike Sheehey to St. Bonaventure 13.5ppg was behind Eric Santifer

Xzavier Gaines to NW Missouri 13.2ppg was behind Louie McCrosky

Glenn Sekunda to Penn State 13.0ppg was behind John Wallace

Louie McCrosky to Marist 12.1ppg was behind Eric Devendorf

LeSean Howard to Hampton 12.0ppg was behind Todd Burgan and Marius Janulis (F-G)

George Papadakos to Michigan St. 10.1ppg was behind Rony Seikaly

While these guys did well, their playing time here was usually limited by being behind a superior player, or perhaps a more experienced one with a skill level in a similar range.
Bland left for strictly family ressons.

"Playing time was limited by being behind a superior player"

Usually the case.

Ryan Blackwell did decent here after Illinois but was never the superstar some had predicted. 11.6 ppg 7.8rpg

Anthony Harris later publicly regretted his decision to transfer. Harris was told he had to lose weight to play and rejected it. He later said he made a big mistake, that JB was correct and was just being honest that he was overweight.

Last edited:
The most perplexing transfer during the Boeheim era came from Earl Duncan.
He came to SU and sat out as a Prop 48 in 1987-88.

Then, he began the 1988-89 season starting along side Sherm. Eventually, M.Roe took his starting spot, but Duncan played 18-19 minutes per game, shot 43%/41% 3pter and averaged 6.4 ppg. Not bad. That team was a #3 seed in the East and lost to Rhode Island in the 2nd round. In fact, Duncan missed the shot from the top of the key at the end of that game.

So, the '89-90 team is really stacked coming back, but he left. For Rutgers (and remember, Duncan was from LA area, so he was going further from home)

And, because he was Prop 48, he only got to play one season in Piscataway (some would say this was a blessing).

To be fair, Rutgers did make the tourney with Duncan at the helm (the last time they did so). So, does that make him Rutgers' version of Bob Lanier/St. Bonaventure? Like their only good player ever maybe other than his 2-time teammate K.Hughes/RIP.

So, Duncan could not hack the prospect of one more season in a 3-guard rotation with Sherm/Roe. If he'd have stayed for his senior season at SU (1990-91), he'd have run the point for a team that included DC, Stevie, B.Owens, L.Ellis, D.Johnson (and T.Scott). Honestly, if he'd stayed, we win it all. Michael Edwards was pretty much a disaster from start to end.

Ugh! Roe's transfer nearly as perplexing.

Rumors I have heard is Matt Roe left due to something about lack of support of teammates on Marshall Street.

The most perplexing transfer during the Boeheim era came from Earl Duncan.
He came to SU and sat out as a Prop 48 in 1987-88.

Then, he began the 1988-89 season starting along side Sherm. Eventually, M.Roe took his starting spot, but Duncan played 18-19 minutes per game, shot 43%/41% 3pter and averaged 6.4 ppg. Not bad. That team was a #3 seed in the East and lost to Rhode Island in the 2nd round. In fact, Duncan missed the shot from the top of the key at the end of that game.

So, the '89-90 team is really stacked coming back, but he left. For Rutgers (and remember, Duncan was from LA area, so he was going further from home)

And, because he was Prop 48, he only got to play one season in Piscataway (some would say this was a blessing).

To be fair, Rutgers did make the tourney with Duncan at the helm (the last time they did so). So, does that make him Rutgers' version of Bob Lanier/St. Bonaventure? Like their only good player ever maybe other than his 2-time teammate K.Hughes/RIP.

So, Duncan could not hack the prospect of one more season in a 3-guard rotation with Sherm/Roe. If he'd have stayed for his senior season at SU (1990-91), he'd have run the point for a team that included DC, Stevie, B.Owens, L.Ellis, D.Johnson (and T.Scott). Honestly, if he'd stayed, we win it all. Michael Edwards was pretty much a disaster from start to end.

Ugh! Roe's transfer nearly as perplexing.
Actually Sherm graduated in spring 1989 after the loss to Illinois in the Elite 8. Duncan would have been the starting PG in 89-90. When he left the team didn't have a PG and Stevie Thompson was moved to play PG. That team was loaded but didn't have a real PG which made them susceptible to a press. UConn pressed us off the floor in the BET final that year. I never understood why Duncan transferred. The Roe move is a head scratcher too.

I remember being disappointed when Michael Brown transferred. I recall him being suspended at Clemson. I don't remember hearing about him again.

2 guys I sometimes wonder where they ended up were Anthony Scott , and Mike Jones. Scott I remember solely for having the outline of the continent of Africa shaved into his head. Think he transfered to Texas A&M.

Then there is Mike Jones, who if I recall was a top 50 prospect coming out of South Carolina.

2 guys I sometimes wonder where they ended up were Anthony Scott , and Mike Jones. Scott I remember solely for having the outline of the continent of Africa shaved into his head. Think he transfered to Texas A&M.

Then there is Mike Jones, who if I recall was a top 50 prospect coming out of South Carolina.

Jones transferred back to South Carolina, where he got bounced out after 1 semester.

Ended up at a JUCO, I believe.

Goes back a ways...wikipedia

Thomas Alvin Stith (January 21, 1939 – June 13, 2010), born in Greenville County, Virginia, was an American professional basketball player, formerly of the NBA's New York Knicks. A 6' 5" forward, Stith was an All-American at St. Bonaventure University in 1960 and 1961.

From what I remember reading, I think Tony Scott lives in the Rochester area and still shows up to the Dome fairly regularly for games. I think he is still close to JB and regrets the decision to leave SU. Someone feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Here is a brief blurb I found on the internet when the Fine scandal broke.

http://www.democratandchronicle.com...s-local-support?odyssey=tab|topnews|text|Home

Goes back a ways...wikipedia

Thomas Alvin Stith (January 21, 1939 – June 13, 2010), born in Greenville County, Virginia, was an American professional basketball player, formerly of the NBA's New York Knicks. A 6' 5" forward, Stith was an All-American at St. Bonaventure University in 1960 and 1961.

Bob Lanier was far from the only good player St. Bonaventure ever had:
http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/MensBasketballRetiredNumbers

They were one of the dominant programs in the East in the 60's and 70's.

Bob Lanier was far from the only good player St. Bonaventure ever had:
http://gobonnies.sbu.edu/sports/m-baskbl/MensBasketballRetiredNumbers

They were one of the dominant programs in the East in the 60's and 70's.

Frank Satalin played for the Bonnie's in the late 60's when they made the NCAA's. He averaged over 12 ppg in his career there.

I think SU94 though was saying that Earl Duncan was one of the few very good Rutgers players back then , not that Lanier at St Bonaventure.

Frank Satalin played for the Bonnie's in the late 60's when they made the NCAA's. He averaged over 12 ppg in his career there.

I think SU94 though was saying that Earl Duncan was one of the few very good Rutgers players back then , not that Lanier at St Bonaventure.

Jimmy Satalin. He was the son of Frank Satalin, long-time coach in the Syracuse Parochial leagues.

http://www.syracusehalloffame.com/basketball/jim-satalin

http://www.syracusehalloffame.com/basketball/frank-stalin

MSOrange, you are spot on regarding Tony Scott. I followed him closely in high school (East High) and went to a game he played against Greg Woodard who played for McQuaid. Sat right behind Bernie Fine and Jim Boeheim. Fun game. Scott transferred after a season or two. I bumped into him when he was at our school to talk with students for a some anti drug program he was working for. I asked him about his transfer and how disappointed SU fans were. He admitted that it was a big mistake. I was surprised to hear that. He listened to the wrong people. Don't know if he is still living in Rochester.

MSOrange, you are spot on regarding Tony Scott. I followed him closely in high school (East High) and went to a game he played against Greg Woodard who played for McQuaid. Sat right behind Bernie Fine and Jim Boeheim. Fun game. Scott transferred after a season or two. I bumped into him when he was at our school to talk with students for a some anti drug program he was working for. I asked him about his transfer and how disappointed SU fans were. He admitted that it was a big mistake. I was surprised to hear that. He listened to the wrong people. Don't know if he is still living in Rochester.

Wasn't this part of the Rob Johnson situation? As I recall, Scott transferred to A&M along with a kid from G'town named Edwards -- who looked really good with the Hoyas -- out of the blue. They were basically never heard from again at College Station so I'm not surprised Scott has regrets. If nothing else, he was possibly the thinest player ever at SU. Good shooter though. Would have gotten better had he stayed.

Once I looked at the list on Orangehoops, I think that Edelin was the best kid to transfer out. He was key during the championship run and if he stayed, we don't lose to Vermont or Tex A&M (because we would have been seeded higher on both occasions).

Once I looked at the list on Orangehoops, I think that Edelin was the best kid to transfer out. He was key during the championship run and if he stayed, we don't lose to Vermont or Tex A&M (because we would have been seeded higher on both occasions).

I would like to have seen the impact of Edelin's presence on GMAC's game. I always thought he was more of a 2 guard.

I would like to have seen the impact of Edelin's presence on GMAC's game. I always thought he was more of a 2 guard.
His ability to back a guard down, so that he could get a shot in the lane (like Mark Jackson) was great, especially when the offense stalled.

bryanradams said:

?? billy didn't transfer anyplace.

Edit. You must have meant that NAIA school but he never played there. Don't think he ever really enrolled and went overseas instead.

You mean if he wasn't suspended against Vermont.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom