Sub Thompson for our point | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Sub Thompson for our point

Yeah I gave up on my plan after that...
I've seen 13 year olds make plays like that, but never thought I'd see that lack of discipline from a JB zone.

I actually the guys expected to chat about their confusion after, but nope, everyone thought they were making the right play. Scary.
Nahhh, lydon was screaming at him.

Thompson has such a long way to go. For every one play he does well, he makes 4 terrible plays. Pushed around like a rag doll on the boards. He drove me nuts tonight.
He doesn't seem to be an instinctively good rebounder like a Derrick Coleman or Carmelo Anthony and he's lost defensively at this point, but he sure has a big time offensive game.

He doesn't seem to be an instinctively good rebounder like a Derrick Coleman or Carmelo Anthony and he's lost defensively at this point, but he sure has a big time offensive game.
I've never seen anyone worse at defense. I'm serious. It's like his feet are in mud. Lateral quickness is just not there. What does he practice? I know it takes time with younger players but he's way, way behind right now. The offensive skill
On the other hand... Wow. Wish we could combine Roberson and Thompson

I've never seen anyone worse at defense. I'm serious. It's like his feet are in mud. Lateral quickness is just not there. What does he practice? I know it takes time with younger players but he's way, way behind right now. The offensive skill

He would have gone to UK then.

Is Thompson really that good at O? He has a decent mid-range jumper. Hes horrendous on D but he's in his first year. We are scoring 70+ per game yet we put this garbage D to start the last 5 games then yank him out when we are down. The idea that the TT starting lineup is better than the Robey lineup is an absolute joke.

So Frank made one mistake tonight and sits the rest of the game. Gillon was just terrible, and doesn't even look to shoot and plays until exhaustion sets in and never gets pulled. I don't get it.

Did I miss something? Gillon was so tired at the end he didn't even pretend to contest shots.
Howard sucks. Howard doesn't listen. Howard doesn't learn. Got it.

Is Thompson really that good at O? He has a decent mid-range jumper. Hes horrendous on D but he's in his first year. We are scoring 70+ per game yet we put this garbage D to start the last 5 games then yank him out when we are down. The idea that the TT starting lineup is better than the Robey lineup is an absolute joke.

Yes, he's very skilled for his age. Do we remember what guys like Fab, Coleman, even Rak looked like early on in their freshman years? Thompson has shown he can score from all over the floor. His prospects going forward are very good, in my opinion. But yes, his defense is really, really bad, and probably easily cancels out what he gives offensively, outside of small spurts now and then. Too many fouls, too many slow rotations.

His offensive skills are good, but his decision making is really bad. Taking shots without anyone underneath shows a lot of confidence in his abilities, but just general stupidity.

And then TT completely abandoned his side and attempted the rarely seen triple trap in the corner along with lydon and white which led to an easy dunk. One of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

Well, prior to the triple trap he actually went out on his own side to claim the guards defensive position as his own. He almost defended every position on the court but his own in ONE possession!

Both in lineup hello

longislandcuse said:
Battle wanted to be a point guard. White was going to be the 2. Lydon wants to be a 3. Roberson is a 4. Thompson can be a 5. He can also shoot so our spacing won't be bad. These are our only players capable of ACC level play and it's not completely crazy. Why not...

That was my preseason prediction of the starting lineup except I had Coleman instead of Thompson. Nobody likes it then but people seem to be coming around.

That was my preseason prediction of the starting lineup except I had Coleman instead of Thompson. Nobody likes it then but people seem to be coming around.
That's four guys playing something other than their natural position. For a team with little margin for error against good competition, that's asking a lot.

Some of these lineups may give up six figures...in a game. Notre Dame might score 100,000 by halftime.

And then TT completely abandoned his side and attempted the rarely seen triple trap in the corner along with lydon and white which led to an easy dunk. One of the dumbest plays I've ever seen.

C'mon that was cutting edge stuff. JB will have the whole front line making that rotation with regularity next game. If everyone vacates the lane entirely you really don't have to be concerned about getting your bigs into foul trouble.

br801 said:
That's four guys playing something other than their natural position. For a team with little margin for error against good competition, that's asking a lot.

With the group we have, there is no perfect lineup. The pieces don't all fit. So with any lineup we're giving up something.

With the group we have, there is no perfect lineup. The pieces don't all fit. So with any lineup we're giving up something.
I don't want to imagine what would happen if you ran that lineup out there against Louisville with Battle at the point and White as your secondary ball handler.

br801 said:
I don't want to imagine what would happen if you ran that lineup out there against Louisville with Battle at the point and White as your secondary ball handler.

So you prefer gillon or Howard. That brings other issues. I say put the 5 best on the court and roll the dice.

So you prefer gillon or Howard. That brings other issues. I say put the 5 best on the court and roll the dice.
I prefer to not see 30 turnovers, so I think you need one of those guys on the floor most of the time. Battle is flourishing now at the 2, and I would hate to see him placed in an unfamiliar role as they head into the teeth of the schedule.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom