Suggestion to Change Name of this Website to: | Syracusefan.com

Suggestion to Change Name of this Website to:

Already had this discussion. Terrible idea.

Not what Dan would have wanted
Hard for new people to find the community
Takes spotlight off the Orange and puts it on one fan
What happens the next time that a prominent poster dies? Rename the board again?

To sum up, no matter what you think about my thoughts, it is very clear that Dan Johnson would never have wanted that kind of spotlight. That wasn't him and not who he was, or what he wanted his legacy to be.

Orangeyes.com instead of syracusefan.com
Very well-intentioned, but I agree with Libero. People have to be able to google this site. I think Dan would have been very honored and tickled that it was even thought of, but ultimately would agree that it must remain "syracusefan."

Although, when I go, I wouldn't mind if you renamed the site "syracusebeadlebombaileybug.com."

Already had this discussion. Terrible idea.

Not what Dan would have wanted
Hard for new people to find the community
Takes spotlight off the Orange and puts it on one fan
What happens the next time that a prominent poster dies? Rename the board again?

To sum up, no matter what you think about my thoughts, it is very clear that Dan Johnson would never have wanted that kind of spotlight. That wasn't him and not who he was, or what he wanted his legacy to be.
The site name is so appropriate now because who was a bigger syracusefan than Dan.

Aside from Tomcat, probably no one here loved Dan more than I did. Or visited him more in the hospital. Or exchanged more emails with him the day before his final surgery. And, yes, Dan was an amazing, dedicated SU fan.

That said...

1) For reasons indicated above, we can't change the syracusefan.com URL.

2) Dan was a prolific poster and a wonderful person, but he did none of the (behind the scenes) heavy-lifting to keep this board running (as do Bees, Tomcat and Temery). If you've ever tried to run a busy, interactive message board, you will know what I mean. To name the board after someone who did none of this work, would deprecate the work done by the folks who do the work.

3) There are a lot of amazing, dedicated SU fans here.

4) As others have said in this thread, Dan would be appalled at the thought of removing the Syracuse name from the board. He was all about SU... not about himself. And he, more than anyone, appreciated the efforts of those who make the board possible.

Last edited:
Tomcat has done the appropriate thing in naming the Daily Articles Thread after Orangeyes. Gets the job done for us, memorializes Dan for future members who may not know about him and, most importantly, Dan would be pleased.

Let me also take the opportunity to profusely thank Bees, Tomcat, Timmery and others who keep this site alive. Aside from their huge multi-year maxed out contracts (zero), they also deserve the thanks of all of us freeloaders! Thanks to all for creating and running the most amazing collegiate sports forum ever.

(Joyce, do you sometimes feel more like a den mother than a Queen?)

Edit: By "getting the job done for us" I mean honoring Dan. It goes without saying that Tomcat is certainly "getting the job done" with his continuing of Dan's tradition,

Last edited:
2) Dan was a prolific poster and a wonderful person, but he did none of the (behind the scenes) heavy-lifting to keep this board running (as do Bees, Tomcat and Temery). If you've ever tried to run a busy, interactive message board, you will know what I mean. To name the board after someone who did none of this work, would deprecate the work done by the folks who do the work.

Thats was a bit harsh and uncalled for IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The part about him being a prolific poster or a wonderful person? ;)

I believe CTO made several very good points while showing much love and respect for Dan at the same time.

I agree with everything said. I have seen other message board communities rename subforums in honor of decesased posters (i.e. the Ape Room on phog.net) that way you don't run into any url issues. Would that be a possibility?

Would it be possible to make a web browser icon that comes up on the favorite bar be a Ernie Davis Heisman statue that Dan used as his avatar? That what honor all things Orange Football.

The part about him being a prolific poster or a wonderful person? ;)

I believe CTO made several very good points while showing much love and respect for Dan at the same time.

but he did none of the (behind the scenes) heavy-lifting to keep this board running (as do Bees, Tomcat and Temery). If you've ever tried to run a busy, interactive message board, you will know what I mean. To name the board after someone who did none of this work, would deprecate the work done by the folks who do the work.

Didn't think that was nessary. Just my opinion.

Tomcat has done the appropriate thing in naming the Daily Articles Thread after Orangeyes. Gets the job done for us, memorializes Dan for future members who may not know about him and, most importantly, Dan would be pleased.

Let me also take the opportunity to profusely thank Bees, Tomcat, Timmery and others who keep this site alive. Aside from their huge multi-year maxed out contracts (zero), they also deserve the thanks of all of us freeloaders! Thanks to all for creating and running the most amazing collegiate sports forum ever.

(Joyce, do you sometimes feel more like a den mother than a Queen?)

Edit: By "getting the job done for us" I mean honoring Dan. It goes without saying that Tomcat is certainly "getting the job done" with his continuing of Dan's tradition,

Crusty, you may be benefiting from the freeloading aspect of this board but I pay a handsome if not downright outrageous stipend on the payside of this site to keep this leviathan chugging along. The behind the bench Dome seats are the only other perk enjoyed by the paysiders! ;)

Crusty, you may be benefiting from the freeloading aspect of this board but I pay a handsome if not downright outrageous stipend on the payside of this site to keep this leviathan chugging along. The behind the bench Dome seats are the only other perk enjoyed by the paysiders! ;)

I always thought those paysiders were dopes. Those seats are when there is no game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom