Summer 2015 Transfer Market | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Summer 2015 Transfer Market

Chelsea apparently making a move for Arda Turan of Atletico Madrid. A very solid player, scrappy, plays on both sides of the ball. Plays on the right wing, so he would fit, and is a Mourinho type of player. Has past history working with Diego Costa and Radamel Falcao, so he checks a lot of the right boxes, but I would have preferred either Griezmann (more goals) or Koke (more assists, chances created). Still, not a bad pick-up at the right price.

He's also a Liverpool supporter ;)

Very good player I've followed for 4+ year. Had a couple injuries over the years otherwise may be better known than he currently is. I wouldn't want to face him if he was on Chelsea so that gives an idea how I rate him.

He's also a Liverpool supporter ;)

Very good player I've followed for 4+ year. Had a couple injuries over the years otherwise may be better known than he currently is. I wouldn't want to face him if he was on Chelsea so that gives an idea how I rate him.

I don't know that he would be an upgrade over Juan Cuadrado, who I think will come good this season. At least it would provide more competition and depth in midfield, but if they get Turan instead of Koke or Griezmann, they've GOT to hold on to Oscar. There is no other truly creative midfielder other than Cesc Fabregas. Got to have another guy who can play the number 10 and break down defenses.

I don't know that he would be an upgrade over Juan Cuadrado, who I think will come good this season. At least it would provide more competition and depth in midfield, but if they get Turan instead of Koke or Griezmann, they've GOT to hold on to Oscar. There is no other truly creative midfielder other than Cesc Fabregas. Got to have another guy who can play the number 10 and break down defenses.

Pretty good write up on Turan's progression here

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2463022-comparing-arda-turans-201415-stats-to-his-201314-numbers

Scratch that idea

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement over the sale of midfielder Arda Turan

Also for anyone hoping their club would land Pogba this summer:

Juventus have confirmed that they received an €80m offer from Barcelona for Paul Pogba, but insist they have no plans to get rid of the sought-after France international.

Another big name off the board:

Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal has agreed a five-year deal withReal Madrid

Scratch that idea

Barcelona and Atletico Madrid have reached an agreement over the sale of midfielder Arda Turan

And yet, other articles are saying Turan prefers Chelsea, so I'm not sure that one's done yet, just like the Pogba deal isn't done yet.

Another big name off the board:

Juventus midfielder Arturo Vidal has agreed a five-year deal withReal Madrid

Wow. Rafa Benitez was just saying he wanted Vidal. That happened fast. I read that as meaning Pogba is staying at Juve until next year. That's probably what they are haggling with Barca about right now; whether they can keep him for the full 2015-16 season to make one more Champions League run with him, or whether Barca gets him in the January window, when their transfer ban expires. Plus Pirlo is gone. Maybe Schweinsteiger winds up there at Juve instead of at United. They will need a winner in their midfield after losing Vidal and Pirlo, too.

And yet, other articles are saying Turan prefers Chelsea, so I'm not sure that one's done yet, just like the Pogba deal isn't done yet.

I was pulling them off the skysport ticker. Suppose we'll see soon enough.

So.

Over rated. He's not Madrid quality.

We'll see if comes through. I was posting what I thought were done deals but haven't seen players holding shirts yet so Sky may have jumped the gun, and in turn so did I.

I rate Vidal but he's a bit mental and a loose cannon. The Chilean Joey Barton if you will.

Cuadrado likely on the move, Not a Mourinho favourite... Bayern got Douglas Costa from Shakhtar for 30, every EPL team just dodged a bullet, maybe Pep knows more than I do though ;)

They can't all be pretty-body midfielders. Somebody has to provide some grit and a tough tackle when it's needed.
That's not him either, check his advanced stats in the champions league final, worst ever.

That's not him either, check his advanced stats in the champions league final, worst ever.

Not really an accurate depiction of his ability to look at only one game which happened to be against the best club In the world. Vidal is a good player he just runs a bit hot under the collar for my liking. To be fair though, if he signed for Madrid he'd only play a couple teams to annoy him in a givin month and he'd get the benefit of the calls in most every match.

~and to be fair, Pogba looked average in the CL final and teams are still trying to figure out how much it would take to get him and willingly pay it.

Last edited:
Not really an accurate depiction of his ability to look at only one game which happened to be against the best club In the world. Vidal is a good player he just runs a bit hot under the collar for my liking. To be fair though, if he signed for Madrid he'd only play a couple teams to annoy him in a givin month and he'd get the benefit of the calls in most every match.

~and to be fair, Pogba looked average in the CL final and teams are still trying to figure out how much it would take to get him and willingly pay it.
Well we disagree about Vidal, but not so sure he would only play a few teams that would bug him, La liga has about 5 class teams and the rest are a bit of a walk in the park but after the EPLs horrendous season abroad the La Liga fanboys are saying that the Spanish league is the best in Europe... It's good but not the best.

Well we disagree about Vidal, but not so sure he would only play a few teams that would bug him, La liga has about 5 class teams and the rest are a bit of a walk in the park but after the EPLs horrendous season abroad the La Liga fanboys are saying that the Spanish league is the best in Europe... It's good but not the best.

La Liga has the best 2 teams, then 3 teams that will be tough in a given year. Those 3 teams will then get picked apart by the top 2 and other top teams and go into a cyclical rebuild. The prem is the toughest top to bottom but not nearly as top heavy at the moment. It's difficult to field a squad that can compete in the prem AND in Europe when you can't rest players for one to have them fresh for the other.

I think Juventus is going to overplay their hand on Pogba. They tried to talk him up last summer, and now this summer again, and after making the Champions League Finals, it seems like the right time to sell. But Pogba is supposedly asking for 250K per week and Juve want 75M pounds? Man City is out. Barca can't afford that, either; it would blow up the salary structure with all the other players who have accomplished more than Pogba.

What happens if Juve don't sell this year, and with the losses of Tevez, Vidal and Pirlo, they fall to 2nd or 3rd in Italy and don't get out of the Group Stages in Champions League? Did Juve blow it? Pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered.

And just for comparison purposes of "what planet are these guys on?" - Juve reportedly only offered 12M for Oscar. 12M??? He's a 30M+ player. He's only 23 years old and has played the number 10 for Brazil.

Update for 7/11. Looks like Bastian Schweinsteiger will be going to Manchester United. Hell of a pick up, if this gets across the finish line. Not a bad backup for Michael Carrick. LOL I'm surprised that United haven't gotten more done, like Liverpool has done. I guess people are using United a bit. I hear that Real Madrid are edging closer to 30M for DeGea, which is nearly at United's 35M asking price.

I don't know whether that makes Sergio Ramos to United any more or less likely, to be honest. There has been a lot of character assassination out of Real Madrid's mouthpieces. That makes it awfully hard to go back, although this isn't nearly at the level of a situation like Raheem Sterling. My God, what a circus that has become.

Sterling to City at 40M + add on's up to 44M would be a Godsend to Liverpool right now. I agree with Craig Burley, just be rid of him. You don't want him around your team. This kid better be on great behavior at City if he doesn't play a lot or his career at big clubs will be over before it began. It's not like he's THAT good, for all he is going to end up costing. What did he have, six or seven goals last season as Liverpool's featured offensive threat? He wouldn't start at Chelsea, I can tell you that.

Speaking of Liverpool, Christian Benteke is more of a hold-up guy that a "run behind" kind of striker. If that's who Rogers signs, I think it will be a mistake. Not that Benteke lacks quality; he has good feet and makes a nice pass. It's just that Rogers showed no signs of getting anything at all out of 2 of those kind of strikers last year in Ricky Lambert and Mario Balotelli. They were never featured in the offense. Sturridge makes those runs in behind. So did Suarez, of course. And so does Lacazette, who would be a far better fit than Benteke for what Rogers is doing. We'll see if they make the right choice.

If Chelsea is too dumb to use Loic Remy and let's him get away, and then they wind up signing Lacazette as his replacement, I will double face-palm. It's trading like-for-like. Just give Remy a fair chance and he'll give you double digit goals this year. He can come in from the wing, he makes runs behind, he has a poachers' instinct and he chases on defense.

Atletico Madrid has done some nice work so far, gotten noticeably younger. They will be very good again if they can hold on to Griezmann and Koke.

Crystal Palace did well signing Yohann Cabaye from PSG and keeping Scott Dann, their player of the year last year. If they can get Charlie Austin and a solid central defender (they are chasing Ashley Williams), they will have a very entertaining mid-table club that might qualify for Europe, and would be my pick for a fast start to the season. They've already got a lot of supporting talent, and just need a few stars (relatively speaking ...) to really solidify themselves and not be at risk of relegation again.

I am not happy about Barcelona being able to do these "pre-deals" during their supposed transfer ban. Makes a mockery of the penalty. That's not just sour grapes about Arda Turan (I would prefer Koke anyway). It's terrible for the sport and any notions of FFP being fairly enforced.

Liverpool has done a ton of business. They have bought better than last year, but for all the guys they have added, they have again added a lot of squad players again, in my opinion, and not enough elite level players. Although I suppose they are doing the best they can to attract talent, they still have a couple obvious holes in their squad - at central defender, holding midfielder and striker. They still need one of each and their rebuild will be complete (again).

Arsenal looked like they were going to get beaten to Morgan Schneiderlin by United, but then Schweinie just happened. Will they try to add Schneiderlin, too, for the most Kraut-sounding holding midfield in Europe? Eh, not at the price Southampton will want for him (30M+) - for 20-25M, sure, but it's certainly not as urgent anymore. United would much rather add Sergio Ramos (it's been very, very quiet about him and DeGea for the past week) and Thomas Muller (80M offer, wow!). I think it would be a very bad move for Pep to get rid of Muller, and can only imagine him doing it because Pep needs to retake control of his dressing room. They quit on him last year. He needs to move out some guys. I wonder if their board will let him. I don't think he'll be around that long, and they see Muller as their future face of the franchise, now that Schweinie is gone.

So, Arsenal were moving on to William Carvalho of Sporting Lisbon, who has been offered around (or talked up) for a couple years now. When I saw him in a recent European Championship qualifier, he struck me as chunky and over-weight He has bulked up and looks more like a centerback now than a holding midfielder. His distribution was not that great looking forward, but he has undeniable athleticism and can certainly break up attacking play better than anybody currently on their roster. But he seems like he was a better prospect, and was faster, a couple years ago.

So, now maybe Arsenal avoid that mistake and fall into Morgan Schneiderlin. They dallied on Carvalho and now Real Madrid have surfaced, so the opportunity to sign Carvalho has probably passed for Arsenal. They're not going to out-bid Madrid, and the player probably prefers Madrid anyway. I was hearing that Schneiderlin had better getting close for Arsenal before United swooped in - now maybe it's back on for Arsenal to get Schneiderlin, which would be a great, great piece of business for them. I would place them one central defender and Karim Benzema (they made a very healthy 43M offer for him) away from really, really serious contention. Plus I saw that they hired a new physical director, too. So maybe the annual Arsenal injury curse goes away this year. Keep an eye out for that. It may turn out to be their biggest signing of the summer. They got the guy from Joachim Low's Germany staff.

Everything's been quiet for Chelsea. They have been working at placing their kids in jobs for next year, and seem to be putting more of them in the Premier League and in Germany, once they qualify for their English permits by spending a year at Vitesse, before moving on. I'm hopeful that more and more of the young Chelsea players get closer to first team level of quality. Mourinho made the point in an interview the other day that it takes a long term commitment to the Coach to make the Coach comfortable and secure enough to blood young academy players. He said, in the past 10 years, that hasn't been possible at Chelsea. But now, hopefully it is. Mourinho is being smart about trying to be there for the long haul. He said after they won the title last May, "We aren't going to do this every single year. Nobody could do that in such a touch league. If we are 1st or 2nd every year, and we win every other year, I think most people would be very happy to have that for the next 1o years." So, if Roman gives him enough rope and really wants him to break in more young players from their academy, he has to cut Jose some slack. I think this year's focus is Premier League and Champions League, and they will sacrifice the domestic cups a bit this year to play younger players. That's my sense of things.

What do the Euro squads think of Giovinco, the Toronto striker? I'm watching NYCFC/Toronto and this dude is an absolute beast!

Also saw Angelino debut. Announcers said he's going to be a big name in a few years. How does the whole Man City/NYCFC thing work?.. Is Angelino techinically owned by Man City and getting playing time in NY or could he essentially sign anywhere in Europe if he blows up?

Last edited:
What do the Euro squads think of Giovinco, the Toronto striker? I'm watching NYCFC/Toronto and this dude is an absolute beast!

Also saw Angelino debut. Announcers said he's going to be a big name in a few years. How does the whole Man City/NYCFC thing work?.. Is Angelino techinically owned by Man City and getting playing time in NY or could he essentially sign anywhere in Europe if he blows up?

Dude is a beast. Played in Serie A, contract at Juve was up and came here. Got paid too. As far as club interest in Europe, I would have to believe he had options.

Dude is a beast. Played in Serie A, contract at Juve was up and came here. Got paid too. As far as club interest in Europe, I would have to believe he had options.
Thanks! I was actually reading up on the MLS rules that are trying to squeeze out owners who won't pay up and it sounds like the league could be on the verge of signing world class players in their prime instead of just having an average league with a bunch of over the hill big names. Obviously this will take time but Dos Santos to LA would be another and that momentum could really build. I hope it does because as someone who could care less about baseball, I need something between Basketball and Football.

OK, so Schweinie to Man United is official! (Louis Van Gaal with perhaps the signing of the summer.)

Raheem Sterling to City is official! (City overpaid by 10M. Sterling to start on the right flank, I guess? Liverpool breathes a huge sigh of relief. This is the David Luiz to PSG signing of this summer.)

Chelsea to get Pedro from Barca to challenge Willian on the right flank. If they keep the other guys, this is good. If we move someone out, then I'm not bowled over. Keep Oscar. Keep Cuadrado. We'll have a crazy deep midfield, although we could still use one more guy who creates chances for the others.

United grabbing Darmian for the right back position is good business. They still need a striker and a center back. Prince Harry? Sergio Ramos? If DeGea leaves, then they'll also need a keeper. Real Madrid's recent actions indicate that they expect to get DeGea. Who do United get to replace him? Jan Oblak from Atletico Madrid is their target, if they sell DeGea to RM.

Latest gossip says Lacazette to Arsenal. Great fit if they can get him. Great fit at Liverpool, too, but reportedly they are trying to get in on Chicarito at the last minute, before he signs for Orlando to play with Kaka in MLS. He would be a GREAT fit for Liverpool. What he does is exactly what they should be looking for up front - somebody who makes runs behind the center backs. Plus he is exceptional in the air for his size. So many of his goals are poacher goals or headers on set pieces. He scored 9 goals for RM last year and he hardly played. He could easily get 15-20 for Liverpool and would be a great pick up.

Latest gossip says Lacazette to Arsenal. Great fit if they can get him. Great fit at Liverpool, too, but reportedly they are trying to get in on Chicarito at the last minute, before he signs for Orlando to play with Kaka in MLS. He would be a GREAT fit for Liverpool. What he does is exactly what they should be looking for up front - somebody who makes runs behind the center backs. Plus he is exceptional in the air for his size. So many of his goals are poacher goals or headers on set pieces. He scored 9 goals for RM last year and he hardly played. He could easily get 15-20 for Liverpool and would be a great pick up.

Has MLS ever attracted players like this? If not, what's changing? Money, popularity? I'm used to the Lampard's, Gerrard's, Villa's etc of the world coming here to finish their careers and that's cool, but I don't ever remember hearing about world class players in their prime coming to or even just considering MLS. Watching Giovinco today makes me hope for more of that because that was just awesome to watch. Giovinvo vs Villa made me realize what Champions League fans watch on a regular basis in their own countries.

Sorry gents was away the past 5 days with very spotty data reception and limited time out at the jr olympic regionals in Western PA. My oldest put in work (proud poppa bragging moment) and qualified for nationals in 3 of the 4 events he competed.

I'm on my drive home and get a text saying Sterling deal finally done. Checked on it at a pit stop and see the figures. 44m with 5m potential add ons AND 200k/week wages ... staggering. His numbers in the prem last season were 7 goals and 7 assists in the prem. To be fair he missed half a dozen sitters so numbers couldve been higher but 49m for a wantaway 20 year old that missed half a dozen sitters? Yeah I'll take that. He doesn't get half of that if he's not english.

On to strikers I suppose. I don't want man u's sloppy seconds and I highly doubt they'd sell to us even if we did. I don't rate Lacazette as the end all be all for us either. Both are simply too small and not sure they have the required quickness vs prem defenders as a lone striker. I watch Lacazette highlights and see him score a lot of shots he wouldn't get space to shoot on most prem teams. French league keepers and defenders aren't great shakes by european league standards. That said he'd get a lot more room on arsenal with their other attacking options and might be terrifying if he ends up there. For us I'd have Benteke over either of them or Aubameyang if we can pry him away.

Speaking of Arsenal, if they back into a Schneiderlin deal they would essentially hit the lottery. He's exactly what they need at the base of their midfield. Schweiny to United for big money? Lot of wear on those tires and a lot of money for that ride. Will be interesting to see how he adapts but I think the past 2 years have worn on him.

If Chelsea end up with Pedro to play opposite Hazard they could be brutal in attack as well. I say could because their coach would still have to find an interest in doing so.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom