Summer Vaca? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Summer Vaca?

Did a huge group trip to Vegas in March for five nights.

Austin for a few days in the beginning of June for a food vacation. It's also my "new" place for the year, since I try to go somewhere new every year.

Fire Island for a few nights in July. A friend and his husband own a house there and let me stay by myself for a long weekend each year.

Then back to Vegas in August. Staying at Encore for a few nights by myself to relax, eat some decent dinners, hang at the pool and play blackjack.

Austin is so great. Hook up with suttree if you can while there. He's a good dude and fun dinner companion.

I've been going there for 24 years and I've been to lake George village maybe...twice? We stay at a place in Bolton landing where we rent cottages. Spend 95% of our team by the water. Town very touristy, place is dead in the winter. In terms of sheer beauty though, the lake has it. Crystal clear blue water. Unreal wealth on that lake, too.

Trust me, I know about the money up there. I used to cater a party up there every summer for the guy who owned King Fuels. That's a beautiful lake. I've had lots of fun there.

Austin is so great. Hook up with suttree if you can while there. He's a good dude and fun dinner companion.
Born and raised in Syracuse, so by definition, I'm always glad to try and meet up for a beer if possible. Our man in VT is also damn fine company, by the way.

Also, NKR, hit me with a direct message if you'd like some insights on the local food scene before you arrive. I've been in Texas for 21 years now, and this city done growed up a hell of a lot on the restaurant front. You'll have loads of options--and I'd be very happy to offer some thoughts. But advance planning is a good thing, as some stops will be difficult to visit if you don't have reservations.

That's where I am at this very second. Finishing the first leg of our tour - Kauai - and heading over to the big island tomorrow.

As for actual summer vacations, unlikely after spending all the dough we did on this one, but maybe the vineyard. The boy has two tourneys this summer for his under 13 lax team - Long Island and Ayer, MA. We might tack on a trip to the cape or the vineyard after the MA tourney.
We'll be hitting two Hawaiian islands later this summer, including the big island. Let me know if you run across any can't-miss propositions, amigo.

King Salmon? You just need to catch any salmon brother!

haha good point. I swung down to Valdez this weekend, Went in and had a drink at the Land Shark for ya (the bar that had the dog) then got absolutely lit at the Boardroom (The last bar we stopped in, by the docks). I love that little town. Waking up surrounded by those mountains is pretty cool.

Moving from Monterey Bay back to the East to Augusta next month....Downgrade times a million :bang:

We'll be hitting two Hawaiian islands later this summer, including the big island. Let me know if you run across any can't-miss propositions, amigo.

Well, now that I know that you and CusefaninVT are going, I know that Hawaii is the place to be this summer...

We are doing Oahu, for Pearl Harbor, the Big Island and Maui in late June/early July...when are you guys going?

Well, now that I know that you and CusefaninVT are going, I know that Hawaii is the place to be this summer...

We are doing Oahu, for Pearl Harbor, the Big Island and Maui in late June/early July...when are you guys going?

Just finished 5 nights in princeville on Kauai. Here on the big island for 4 nights then one night with the family on Oahu. We will do the pearl harbor thing as well. I'm here for another week after they go home for work.

Just finished 5 nights in princeville on Kauai. Here on the big island for 4 nights then one night with the family on Oahu. We will do the pearl harbor thing as well. I'm here for another week after they go home for work.
Check out the North Shore. Lived briefly in Laie up there near the Polynesian Cultural Center.

If you head south, never go beyond Jacksonville unless it's for a limited time.

Edit: I will say take a look at St. Augustine. Lot of history and some of the best beaches towards St. Augustine Beach. Better than Hilton Head.
Huh? You're on the wrong side of the state. ;)

Nice. Kauai was my favorite island (which just goes to show you how much sway I have in my house since we are not going back this time around) out of the three we visited (Kauai, Maui, Big Island) on our first trip pre-kids 18 years ago.

We stayed at the Hyatt but visited the Princeville. It is beautiful.

Where are you staying on the Big Island? Where did you eat that you really liked?

Nice. Kauai was my favorite island (which just goes to show you how much sway I have in my house since we are not going back this time around) out of the three we visited (Kauai, Maui, Big Island) on our first trip pre-kids 18 years ago.

Where are you staying on the Big Island? Where did you eat that you really liked?
I, too, requested a return to Kauai--my favorite--but I appear to hold about as much sway in my household as you do in yours. For us it's going to be the Big Island and Oahu. Mid-August. First visit in the Parenthood Era. Wife is handling the accommodations, because she wants it done competently.

Come on, VT, you man of taste and refinement! What are the places that discerning Syracuse fans must hit while out in the middle of the Pacific?

Honestly, all she does is talk about it , but I have yet to comprehend where it is or the date. :rolleyes:

If a picker from Kentucky named Alonzo Pennington is there, give him a slap and tell him his friend up in Cowtown says "Hi."

Just got back from a week on Vancouver Island. Sixteen of us who used to play team handball back in the salad days, drinking too much beer and trying to shake off the malaise the next day on the golf course. Generally to little avail. Got hailed on in Campbell River, where fresh halibut can make you forget about salmon ... for a little while anyway. :) Need sleep. WTH is Atlantis?

Last edited:
Just got back from a week on Vancouver Island. Sixteen of us who used to play team handball back in the salad days, drinking too much beer and trying to shake off the malaise the next day on the golf course. Generally to little avail. Got hailed on in Campbell River, where fresh halibut can make you forget about salmon ... for a little while anyway. :) Need sleep. WTH is Atlantis?
My cousin lives in Cumberland

I, too, requested a return to Kauai--my favorite--but I appear to hold about as much sway in my household as you do in yours. For us it's going to be the Big Island and Oahu. Mid-August. First visit in the Parenthood Era. Wife is handling the accommodations, because she wants it done competently.

Come on, VT, you man of taste and refinement! What are the places that discerning Syracuse fans must hit while out in the middle of the Pacific?

I'll make sure to put together a long post on my favorites once I'm done with this trip. But for the big island, the man to know is ssbriefcase . He hasn't steered me wrong yet!

We went to Hapuna beach today where my 11 year old perfected his body surfing and I amazed all the ladies with my boogie boarding.

Going to Placitas N.M. (between Albuqurque and Santa Fe) for a week in July to visit family, then a few overnighters on the Jersey Shore.