Super conference (singular on purpose) coming? | Syracusefan.com

Super conference (singular on purpose) coming?

jr4750

All American
With apologies to OrangeXtreme who is the true locator of this article, and posted it in the daily football media rundown, I wanted to give it its own thread. Stuart Mandel is posturing that in roughly 10 years, (timing means nothing, but still interesting) there will be 30 odd teams that have all the power, all the money, etc. Kind of a dramatic situation, which hopefully will not come to bear, because of those 30 teams, our beloved Syracuse, is not one of them. Think all the major football powers only. Congressional oversight, sheer public outcry, something, hopefully, will prevent this from becoming a reality, but the money being bantered is so huge, it concerns me. Definitely would make competing against these schools impossible. Completely eviscerating a level playing field for the have nots, of which we would become. Ugh

He has 24 which is too small. Also decisions are made for all sports so this is not realistic. I could see a 36 team B1G and 18 team SEC with nothing else. That makes sense as it cuts the fat from the P5.

He has 24 which is too small. Also decisions are made for all sports so this is not realistic. I could see a 36 team B1G and 18 team SEC with nothing else. That makes sense as it cuts the fat from the P5.
Agreed. Size is too small, but thats also coming from a fan of a team who isn't on the list. I think his logic regarding making every game "prime time worthy television," is interesting and certainly will carry weight with the OSU, Bama's of the world. Do they really have interest in playing Rutgers or Kentucky? How does that serve them? If they were making 100 mil a year to play 8 prime time games, and then perhaps make a CFB championship tourney with even more money on the table, with little to no oversight (NCAA), wouldn't they be all for it?

It sounds like Dino has 10 years to win the ACC a few times and make the CFB playoff at least once. This will pack the Dome and include wins over Wisconsin, LSU and some other, supposed, heavyweights.

Go, Dino, Go!

Anything can happen...but when you limit it would make college football even more boring and eventually fewer people watching than ever before.

However, regarding a reduction of the P5 teams, an ACC/ESPN channel could destabilize the Big 12 by creating a huge disadvantage relative to the other 4 all due to the Texas Longhorn channel ($15 mil per year). Texas knows they can join any conference at any time and could easily go independent like ND. The losers are everyone else in that conference.

I would expect Oklahoma to leave next and the BiG 10 makes the most sense to me - big football school, and final four bball team - joins back with Nebraska to shore up the Western side of that conference in football.. The only other school, besides Texas and they are not doing much of anything right now, would be someone like Kansas that brings major basketball to the Western side of that conference as well. BiG goes to 16 teams and brings lots of content for its channel, two new TV markets, and destabilizes the B12 at the same time in a major way.

It's really the next move on the chessboard by the BiG. No one will come over, with appropriate channels and income, from the ACC, SEC or PAC once the ACC channel is in place. My prediction is B12 is gone in 5 years leaving 4 major conferences with a 4 team playoff. Game over.

Combine this with the head injury concerns, I think you'd start to see a lot of schools drop football, eventually leading to the demise of professional football over time.

Combine this with the head injury concerns, I think you'd start to see a lot of schools drop football, eventually leading to the demise of professional football over time.
Good point. Was trying to figure out how the NFL would play into this. Couldn't decide if they'd be for it or against it, frankly, but the loss of "potential players," to pull from is huge. Having 24 teams with 100 players, albeit the best of the best, is not as good as a 100 teams with 84 players. Only the best of those will generate the playing time they need to develop. If schools start to bail on fielding teams, and I mean teams like Oklahoma State, TCU, etc. that have great talent, but are not included in this list, that can't be in the best interest of the NFL.

That's one shitty NCAA hoops tournament. You think Duke, UNC etc are going to just shrivel up and die?
Come on Jake, Tennessee vs Bama - USC vs. Stanford on the hard wood doesn't get you fired up! You haven't lived until you've been to a game at Auburn Arena! :)

This is called Minor League Football.

Let the NFL pay for it and locate it in mid-tier cities.

Leave college football alone!!!

FCS football is looking better all the time.

Hey! Who're you calling fat? ;)

In summary: start with the P5. Then kick out all the lousy football programs with perennial losing seasons who just collect a check for having provided an easy win to the strong programs (you know the ones who compete for the national championship and are on TV every week in the prime slots).

Projecting this out, in another 20 years they can probably get down to 12 teams and kick everyone else out. Then those teams can join in NFL expansion.

Come on Jake, Tennessee vs Bama - USC vs. Stanford on the hard wood doesn't get you fired up! You haven't lived until you've been to a game at Auburn Arena! :)
It's the only some of those schools will ever have a chance of winning the hoops championship... Except, it won't be the NCAA Championship. Oops!

People forget that the big name need the fodder to rack up wins against. You can only have so many winners within a closed system, the wins and losses must equal each other. If they wanted a league with 60-80 teams, that would work, as would 125-150 teams. 24-30 teams would not work, people would view it as NFL light and no one is going to jump on a bandwagon for a team they have hated for decades. tOSU and Auburn will not garner fans in any state they are not located in. People watch college because they love the team for a personal reason (alumni, grew up in that area).

That's one shitty NCAA hoops tournament. You think Duke, UNC etc are going to just shrivel up and die?

Bingo. Since the top football and hoops schools really don't align, a basketball super conference would likely result, where SU would have a home. Plus, if the conference played football, we could be vying for championships year in, year out. Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, and Indiana, better look out.:vomit: :vomit::vomit:

Last edited:
Eventually, colleges will not play football, as we now know it, unless dramatic safety changes are made.

Eventually, colleges will not play football, as we now know it, unless dramatic safety changes are made.

If that's the case, why haven't there been any discussions of schools closing down programs due to concussions (I'm guessing that's what you're referring to)?

If that's the case, why haven't there been any discussions of schools closing down programs due to concussions (I'm guessing that's what you're referring to)?
It's starting with no contact practices. High schools will start looking at whether or not the risk is worth it. With new concussion protocols in place, more accurate information will become available. That his not good for football.
Unless the safety of the game changes, it will be legislatively altered.

It's starting with no contact practices. High schools will start looking at whether or not the risk is worth it. With new concussion protocols in place, more accurate information will become available. That his not good for football.

I'm not buying it. Just like I'm not buying the argument from the "soccer will overtake football in the next ten years" argument.

I'm sure Congress would totally be OK with dozens of their constituents programs being booted out of the haves. There would definitely not be any hearings about that. No sir.
Yeah, his 'vision' of the future was really not thought through very well. If that group plays mostly its own members, O$U and Bama are not going to be happy going 4-8 some years.

Just FYI, the experts have been saying this since before 1900 about football. Back then, the problems were players getting killed on the field during games...

People forget that the big name need the fodder to rack up wins against. You can only have so many winners within a closed system, the wins and losses must equal each other. If they wanted a league with 60-80 teams, that would work, as would 125-150 teams. 24-30 teams would not work, people would view it as NFL light and no one is going to jump on a bandwagon for a team they have hated for decades. tOSU and Auburn will not garner fans in any state they are not located in. People watch college because they love the team for a personal reason (alumni, grew up in that area).
I agree with you completely. I will only add that Mandel's argument was in contrast to yours about fans not caring about watching teams they don't root for. His logic was that fans are interested in the premium names and games, thus making those games more relevant, and having them occur more often will matter. I am a diehard SU fan, and my sense is that if SU is not even in the conversation I will tune out. I might casually watch OSU play Michigan, but I won't care who wins, and what it means if they do.

I'm sure Congress would totally be OK with dozens of their constituents programs being booted out of the haves. There would definitely not be any hearings about that. No sir.
Said the same thing earlier. As someone who works in this arena, and is dealing with frantic calls to legislators involving loss of broadcast and spectrum signals in metropolitan areas ( you wouldn't believe the number of calls these people get) I can only imagine, how many Oklahoma State Fans, Texas Tech Fans, etc., will be incessantly screaming for justice. Legislators will be on this quicker than you can say Jack Robinson.