Super conference (singular on purpose) coming? | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Super conference (singular on purpose) coming?

I agree with you completely. I will only add that Mandel's argument was in contrast to yours about fans not caring about watching teams they don't root for. His logic was that fans are interested in the premium names and games, thus making those games more relevant, and having them occur more often will matter. I am a diehard SU fan, and my sense is that if SU is not even in the conversation I will tune out. I might casually watch OSU play Michigan, but I won't care who wins, and what it means if they do.

Mandel is a moron. There are some big names, big states and big fanbases left off his current list. There's no way anyone is going to pay per game to watch two teams responsible for destroying college football. Plus, no one is going to care about an 8-3 Alabama beating up on a 1-10 UCLA in the last game of the year. Inflated records are what make games meaningful.

Just FYI, the experts have been saying this since before 1900 about football. Back then, the problems were players getting killed on the field during games...
Bingo. Every generation has a safety problem with football. Some changes are made, and the game moves on.

I'm not buying it. Just like I'm not buying the argument from the "soccer will overtake football in the next ten years" argument.

The state of Texas would secede from the union if football was banned everywhere else.

Do I think there could be changes, especially to practices? Sure, but football would never go away. Hockey, soccer, and lacrosse all have high concussion rates as well. Will we get rid of those sports too?

jr4750 said:
I agree with you completely. I will only add that Mandel's argument was in contrast to yours about fans not caring about watching teams they don't root for. His logic was that fans are interested in the premium names and games, thus making those games more relevant, and having them occur more often will matter. I am a diehard SU fan, and my sense is that if SU is not even in the conversation I will tune out. I might casually watch OSU play Michigan, but I won't care who wins, and what it means if they do.

Yeah - he is vastly overrating interest in those big games in relation to the "local team"...

I make watching FSU v Clemson a priority because they are in our conference and I know the teams well enough. I've not watched a meaningful, full B1G game in either basketball or football in years.

Hey! Who're you calling fat? ;)

I wouldn't include SU in the fat. There are plenty of programs that offer nothing in terms of markets, have small fan bases, aren't great academically, and aren't good at football or basketball. I really think a 36 team B1G and 18-20 team SEC would be better. Makes the P5 go from 65 team to 54-56 teams. They wouldn't leave D1 athletics, but play 10 conference games in football and 20 games in basketball.

The state of Texas would secede from the union if football was banned everywhere else.

Do I think there could be changes, especially to practices? Sure, but football would never go away. Hockey, soccer, and lacrosse all have high concussion rates as well. Will we get rid of those sports too?
It's not the concussions that are the problem per the research, as much as it's the constant banging of heads in the line, for example, that aren't severe enough to make one want to see a doctor. Any contact sport can result in a concussion, but there isn't the constant banging of heads together in the sports you mention like there is along the line of scrimmage in football on nearly every play.

His own analysis proves his plan to be NFL lite, who among us will watch it? College football differs from the NFL, why watch a Lite version when you can simply watch the real thing? Mandel is a writer and simply forgot to put thought into his writing. I know I don't watch any team that is on a low (except Syracuse) because I simply don't care about them. Guys who's profession dictates that they watch countless hours of sports miss the reality that most of us have other commitments that MUST be honored before we can watch 3-9 Texas play 7-5 Notre Dame.

Soccer is starting to make changes for just this very reason. In MD, where I live, the state soccer organization has made rules that will be implemented in 2018. At that point, no kids under 11 will be allowed to use their head to hit the soccer ball. The plan is to gradually step the age up as that age moves along, until ultimately, no more heading will be allowed.

This is MD right now, but the pressure is coming down from US Soccer, and will ultimately be implemented across all states. The sport will be forced to change or it will be legislated away. If the sport is played on a government owned field (think every school and most parks), it will be forced to abide by the rules or go away.

If it can happen in soccer, you best believe it will eventually happen in football. Heaven help anyone who gets in the way of protective mom society!

Soccer is starting to make changes for just this very reason. In MD, where I live, the state soccer organization has made rules that will be implemented in 2018. At that point, no kids under 11 will be allowed to use their head to hit the soccer ball. The plan is to gradually step the age up as that age moves along, until ultimately, no more heading will be allowed.

This is MD right now, but the pressure is coming down from US Soccer, and will ultimately be implemented across all states. The sport will be forced to change or it will be legislated away. If the sport is played on a government owned field (think every school and most parks), it will be forced to abide by the rules or go away.

If it can happen in soccer, you best believe it will eventually happen in football. Heaven help anyone who gets in the way of protective mom society!
But they'll continue to allow someone to throw a hard object at a high speed near a kid's head? Baseball is doomed too.

Once boxing is gone, then I'll worry about football. Until then...

Antiprodigy said:
Soccer is starting to make changes for just this very reason. In MD, where I live, the state soccer organization has made rules that will be implemented in 2018. At that point, no kids under 11 will be allowed to use their head to hit the soccer ball. The plan is to gradually step the age up as that age moves along, until ultimately, no more heading will be allowed. This is MD right now, but the pressure is coming down from US Soccer, and will ultimately be implemented across all states. The sport will be forced to change or it will be legislated away. If the sport is played on a government owned field (think every school and most parks), it will be forced to abide by the rules or go away. If it can happen in soccer, you best believe it will eventually happen in football. Heaven help anyone who gets in the way of protective mom society!
Soccer won't go away. If the U.S. Legislated away soccer, it will still be the most popular sport in the world. I don't think the rest of the world cares if Americans stop playing.

i can't believe how much football writers just parrot whatever is told to them

They're almost as bad as message board posters with sources.

:)

They're almost as bad as message board posters with sources.

:)
Hey! I resemble that remark! I know I do because a have a well connected secret source at university X and this source has confirmed that I have a secret source. Obviously, I cannot reveal the identity of my source but you can trust him. You have my word on it, this source is never wrong.

The SEC always has been, is, and always will be. Steroid enhanced since the 1970s. Either it's about winning or the money. With a Super P5 the majority of teams can only have one not both.