Super late Spring Game thoughts... | Syracusefan.com

Super late Spring Game thoughts...

orange_in_VA

All Conference
Finally got a chance to watch the replay of the spring game. I missed it this weekend as I was in Baltimore with some friends proposing to my girlfriend. On to the analysis.

Q.B.'s: Hunt looked really good. He threw some nice deep balls, and looked very comfortable out there. He also has the best release. A.J. Long looked ok for a true freshman. His height is going to be an issue though. Lots of deflected passes. Mitch Kimble was very accurate, but I can't stand his release. To be frank, its hideous. His balls also seemed to do some kind of vertical spiral thing in the air, I assume due to his weird throwing motion. Austin Wilson throws a nice ball. He reminds me a lot of Nassib when he throws. Unfortunately he might transfer, he would have been really good in Marrone/Hacketts version of the read-option.

Backs: We will be fine here obviously.

T.E.'s: I think Parris is gonna be a good one. Cam Mac made some nice plays too.

Wideout's: The tandem of Broyld and Brisly is going to be very fun to watch. These guys are explosive, pure athletes. Funder got thrown to once, dont know why but it could have been the play calling. Winfield looks to have good hands. Flemming looked good in limited action. Other guys did well in limited roles.

O.L.: Snapping the ball in the shotgun could be an issue with Mackey gone. Hope we get that cleared up. The line was pretty bad, but the injuries didn't help. It's a good thing the Q.B.'s were not getting hit because the defense would have killed them.

D-Line: Good day all around. Looks like they might be getting coached up on swatting passes. Lots of deflections, and causing off-thrown balls. Nice pressure in the backfield, and nice pursuit. Really excited about our 2-deep at Defensive end.

L.B.'s: Nice pursuit. Guys were flying to the ball. Really like the depth of the whole unit.

D.B.'s: Kelly stood out to me, good and bad. If he doesn't interfere with Estime on the pass to the middle, Estime takes it to the house. Hard to get a good read on these guys with some injuries, but I hope they continue to get better. We got burned deep a lot last year.

Special Teams: Dixon has a nice leg, could be all-conference this year. Backup kicker was servicable.

Loved Coach Shafer's speech before the game. Got me pumped, and I am so proud to have him as our Head Coach.

Austin Wilson throws a nice ball. He reminds me a lot of Nassib when he throws. Unfortunately he might transfer, he would have been really good in Marrone/Hacketts version of the read-option.

Did I miss some info somewhere? Or do you know something we don't?

So did all your friends propose or just you? Also, congrats...and BTW, is she a Cuse fan or one we can convert?

Thanks Mark! It was my best friend, and his wife who is friends with my fiance. My fiance thought it was just a weekend trip for her Birthday. My best friend/man recorded the proposal for me, unbeknownst to her. She is a Cuse Football fan, since her school doesn't have Football, but she goes to George Mason and follows their basketball team. She follows Cuse too, but Mason is number 1 for her. I've taken her to 2 football games so far, and got her decked out with Cuse gear. The Pinstripe game against WVU, and the Maryland game this past season.

Last edited:
Well we have three, soon to be four other QBs, and he's the only one who isn't mobile. Doesn't seem to fit the system, and he was last on the depth chart going into the spring game. It would make sense.

:D Nice writeup...What did you propose to your girlfriend? About getting season tickets? A golf trip with the guys out in Vegas?

Thanks, I was trying to be brief while focusing on what I thought were key points. I wish I could do seasons. I am really busy with school and work though. My family and I are only able to make the Wake Forest game this year, after making it to 3 road games last year since we are closer to those areas.

I apologize for being vague here. This was purely an opinion, mostly for the reasons Pat Kelly listed. Unless the coaches decide he is just too good and their ideal QB doesn't matter at that point, then I think he moves on, and can be very successful elsewhere. I really like the way he throws the ball, but I think the staff is hoping for 2 more years of Hunt, and then Alin Eduard after that. He's also the one guy who probably can't change positions easily, so because of these factors he may transfer.

Super late question ;)....did anyone see the Hunt long pass to Fleming? Was Flemming open and waiting for the ball or did he drop it...or was it batted down? That play offensively wise bugs me. I suppose parsing down each little thing but still, it was one of the few long throws of the game so I'd love to know how that went for those that had a good look. Was it Kelly that closed on the pass to bat it out of Flemmings hands?

Finally got a chance to watch the replay of the spring game. I missed it this weekend as I was in Baltimore with some friends proposing to my girlfriend. On to the analysis.

Q.B.'s: Hunt looked really good. He threw some nice deep balls, and looked very comfortable out there. He also has the best release. A.J. Long looked ok for a true freshman. His height is going to be an issue though. Lots of deflected passes. Mitch Kimble was very accurate, but I can't stand his release. To be frank, its hideous. His balls also seemed to do some kind of vertical spiral thing in the air, I assume due to his weird throwing motion. Austin Wilson throws a nice ball. He reminds me a lot of Nassib when he throws. Unfortunately he might transfer, he would have been really good in Marrone/Hacketts version of the read-option.

Backs: We will be fine here obviously.

T.E.'s: I think Parris is gonna be a good one. Cam Mac made some nice plays too.

Wideout's: The tandem of Broyld and Brisly is going to be very fun to watch. These guys are explosive, pure athletes. Funder got thrown to once, dont know why but it could have been the play calling. Winfield looks to have good hands. Flemming looked good in limited action. Other guys did well in limited roles.

O.L.: Snapping the ball in the shotgun could be an issue with Mackey gone. Hope we get that cleared up. The line was pretty bad, but the injuries didn't help. It's a good thing the Q.B.'s were not getting hit because the defense would have killed them.

D-Line: Good day all around. Looks like they might be getting coached up on swatting passes. Lots of deflections, and causing off-thrown balls. Nice pressure in the backfield, and nice pursuit. Really excited about our 2-deep at Defensive end.

L.B.'s: Nice pursuit. Guys were flying to the ball. Really like the depth of the whole unit.

D.B.'s: Kelly stood out to me, good and bad. If he doesn't interfere with Estime on the pass to the middle, Estime takes it to the house. Hard to get a good read on these guys with some injuries, but I hope they continue to get better. We got burned deep a lot last year.

Special Teams: Dixon has a nice leg, could be all-conference this year. Backup kicker was servicable.

Loved Coach Shafer's speech before the game. Got me pumped, and I am so proud to have him as our Head Coach.

Congrats my brother. We'll see you at Wake Forest!

Super late question ;)...did anyone see the Hunt long pass to Fleming? Was Flemming open and waiting for the ball or did he drop it...or was it batted down? That play offensively wise bugs me. I suppose parsing down each little thing but still, it was one of the few long throws of the game so I'd love to know how that went for those that had a good look. Was it Kelly that closed on the pass to bat it out of Flemmings hands?

Was a great throw that hit Flemming in the hands, but was broken up by Wayne Morgan I believe it was.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom