SU's women lacrosse players are second class citizens ... | Syracusefan.com

SU's women lacrosse players are second class citizens ...

cto

Administrator
I find it distressing (and depressing) that the SU women had to give up their home field advantage this weekend because living accommodations could not be found for Stony Brook and BC. Did they try the dorms at LeMoyne or OCC, for example?

Meanwhile, the SU men keep their home field advantage. Is Albany making a day trip to the Dome? Or were rooms found for them?

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/5/9/11639248/syracuse-womens-lacrosse-ncaa-tournament-hotel-rooms

I might be wrong but I don't think it is about housing the other schools but rather the NCAA requires a certain number of available hotel rooms for fans attending the tournament.

http://dailyorange.com/2016/05/syra...rnament-due-to-lack-of-available-hotel-rooms/

I might be wrong but I don't think it is about housing the other schools but rather the NCAA requires a certain number of available hotel rooms for fans attending the tournament.

http://dailyorange.com/2016/05/syra...rnament-due-to-lack-of-available-hotel-rooms/

You need rooms for the players, coaches and official traveling parties from both teams (BC and Stonybrook), and the media

You'd need maybe 100 rooms for Thursday Night, and 50-60 rooms for both Friday and Saturday Nights (assuming that the losing team on Friday goes right home after the game). All the rooms have to be within 30 miles of the Dome [the Turning Stone is 34 miles from my house, probably 40 miles from campus.]

This has never been a problem in the past, but Colgate's graduation has never been the same week as SU's. Not sure why SU didn't anticipate this a year ago.

I find it distressing (and depressing) that the SU women had to give up their home field advantage this weekend because living accommodations could not be found for Stony Brook and BC. Did they try the dorms at LeMoyne or OCC, for example?

Meanwhile, the SU men keep their home field advantage. Is Albany making a day trip to the Dome? Or were rooms found for them?

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2016/5/9/11639248/syracuse-womens-lacrosse-ncaa-tournament-hotel-rooms

As Extreme pointed out I believe this issue is due to the fact that SU has graduation that weekend which obviously severely impacts the amount of local hotel rooms available and that's without taking into consideration what unrelated events maybe taking place at the same time that maybe impacting room occupancy. Also both Lemoyne and OCC are still in session so there is no availability to utilize any on campus housing or dorms there. SU's graduation date is usually early for the area as most schools due graduation later in the month. Lastly in these types of situations the men's team is always going to win out due to the level of where the mens game is at vs the womens and the national TV coverage that follows the mens tournament and the Syracuse program.

As Extreme pointed out I believe this issue is due to the fact that SU has graduation that weekend which obviously severely impacts the amount of local hotel rooms available and that's without taking into consideration what unrelated events maybe taking place at the same time that maybe impacting room occupancy. Also both Lemoyne and OCC are still in session so there is no availability to utilize any on campus housing or dorms there. SU's graduation date is usually early for the area as most schools due graduation later in the month. Lastly in these types of situations the men's team is always going to win out due to the level of where the mens game is at vs the womens and the national TV coverage that follows the mens tournament and the Syracuse program.

The problem isn't just with SU's graduation, because the Women have hosted the last 3 years, all on Commencement Weekend.

The problem is that Colgate's Commencement is the same weekend as ours. I don't know if this is a one year deal, or if this will be an ongoing concern moving forward.

And OCC's Commencement is this weekend, and they're also hosting the NJCAA LAX Championship at the same time.

Everyone in Syracuse is either graduating or playing LAX this weekend. ;)

The problem isn't just with SU's graduation, because the Women have hosted the last 3 years, all on Commencement Weekend.

The problem is that Colgate's Commencement is the same weekend as ours. I don't know if this is a one year deal, or if this will be an ongoing concern moving forward.

And OCC's Commencement is this weekend, and they're also hosting the NJCAA LAX Championship at the same time.

Everyone in Syracuse is either graduating or playing LAX this weekend. ;)

Ah good catch on OCC I couldn't remember if that was this week or next week. I think that OCC having its commencement this week is as big a factor if not more then Colgate having there's this weekend as well. OCC is probably drawing a large crowd for graduation not to mention the people for the NJCAA lax champ game. Also due to them hosting the champ game their fields aren't available if SU tried to move the game their due to the dome being unavailable even if they had enough hotel rooms.

Also due to them hosting the champ game their fields aren't available if SU tried to move the game their due to the dome being unavailable even if they had enough hotel rooms.

WLAX always uses the Soccer Stadium at Manley for NCAA games.

This doesn't seem like a men's vs. women's issue. Men's game is Sunday evening at 7:30 p.m. against a team that doesn't need to stay over Saturday night.

Women have two other teams, both traveling and playing earlier in the weekend than the men.

I fully believe someone in administration dropped the ball on this one. I would guess with the change in staff, blocking off rooms for the possibility of two women's lacrosse teams being here on graduation weekend slipped through the cracks. Just a guess, maybe a miscommunication but let's hope it is not a costly one. If they win this weekend, they will be back in the dome next weekend to go for a chance at another final four.

cuseguy said:
Just demonstrates the lack of hotels in the Syracuse area. Colgate is 41 miles from Syracuse. Not 20 miles. 41 miles. Or maybe it's the lack of hotels in Hamilton. Hmmm.
Since the SU women's program is going to continue to be a major power in the sport for the foreseeable future, I think the solution to this problem is clear:

Close Colgate.

Or at least move it to another state, where it cannot interfere with Syracuse anymore.

Is it too late for the gams this year?

Since the SU women's program is going to continue to be a major power in the sport for the foreseeable future, I think the solution to this problem is clear:

Close Colgate.

Or at least move it to another state, where it cannot interfere with Syracuse anymore.

Is it too late for the gams this year?
Can't they block out the rooms very very early?

sutomcat said:
Since the SU women's program is going to continue to be a major power in the sport for the foreseeable future, I think the solution to this problem is clear: Close Colgate. Or at least move it to another state, where it cannot interfere with Syracuse anymore. Is it too late for the gams this year?
Just brush it away.

Can't they block out the rooms very very early?
The problem is Graduation ceremony on Saturday and events leading up to it. Graduating parents block the year in advance

Just demonstrates the lack of hotels in the Syracuse area.

Colgate is 41 miles from Syracuse.

Not 20 miles.

41 miles.

Or maybe it's the lack of hotels in Hamilton.

Hmmm.
Lack of hotels for one weekend a year doesn't demonstrate the lack of rooms in Syracuse. I would argue the other way asking why all these hotels are going up all over when none other than a select few operate anywhere near capacity. An acquaintance works in the hotel industry here and there is genuine concern that there are too many hotels for this market to sustain and the HOtel Syracuse and Destiny projects aren't finished yet.

Lack of hotels for one weekend a year doesn't demonstrate the lack of rooms in Syracuse. I would argue the other way asking why all these hotels are going up all over when none other than a select few operate anywhere near capacity. An acquaintance works in the hotel industry here and there is genuine concern that there are too many hotels for this market to sustain and the HOtel Syracuse and Destiny projects aren't finished yet.
There is a difference between too many hotel rooms to be sustainable on an on-going basis, and not enough hotel rooms for specific high-volume events. It is the reason Syracuse can host a regional, but will never get a Final Four.

I agree, Joyce... those young women worked so hard and EARNED that spot. Hopefully the athletic department finds a way so it never happens again.

There is a difference between too many hotel rooms to be sustainable on an on-going basis, and not enough hotel rooms for specific high-volume events. It is the reason Syracuse can host a regional, but will never get a Final Four.
I understand that - guess my point is that the number of high volume events in this community won't keep the lights on.

Couldn't they have stayed in Utica? Maybe the Radisson near the Thruway, a quick shot out to the Dome. Used to take a school bus from Whitesboro to OHSL "outposts"(we were the outpost, actually) such as Oswego, Auburn, Central Square, and Fulton and have legs for the game, no problem. Wouldn't think their team bus would be terribly uncomfortable for a quick stretch of road they would have needed to travel anyway.

Perhaps I'm being naive comparing high school to a D1 program. I don't know the logistics that would go into game day prep. But it would have seemed a more fair option for Syracuse.