Switch VaTECH and Clemson football divisions . | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Switch VaTECH and Clemson football divisions .

I think Clemson likes it this way is because they get FSU (division) and Miami (crossover) annually. With your setup, they lose Miami except for twice every 12 years.

As to your first point, I'll let Hoo's That handle that one.

clemson doesnt play miami yearly they play georgia tech as their permanent rival from coastal

clemson doesnt play miami yearly they play georgia tech as their permanent rival from coastal
Yep - I derped as I was typing and was thinking about FSU, not Clemson.

The one FL in each division doesn't matter when 2 Coastal teams would play road games in FL each year. It would work out roughly the same.

Clemson-FSU would want an annual game and if they could play in the ACCCG it would be better for TV. It would also put one super team in each division.

my best compromise of adjusting the divisions would be to swap Bc and Louisville for Va Tech and Pitt.

Atlantic: ----------------------------------Coastal:
Florida State-----------------------------Miami
Clemson---------------------------------Georgia Tech
NC State---------------------------------North Carolina
Wake Forest----------------------------Duke
Virginia Tech---------------------------Virginia
Syracuse---------------------------------Boston College
Pittsburgh-------------------------------Louisville
I would switch FSU and Miami, so FSU could play GT every year. Miami has longer rivals with Pitt VT and SU from the Big East (Miami's glory years) days.

Miami has to play VPI and Florida State each year.
Remember every team has core games it needs.

Miami has to play VPI and Florida State each year.
Remember every team has core games it needs.

i noticed i missed that mainly because it has been relegated to thursday the last couple years

i noticed i missed that mainly because it has been relegated to thursday the last couple years
Yeah but I would say playing on Thursday is a prime slot as it's a national game and the only one on.

I think Miami would really only need to games guaranteed VPI and Florida State.

my best compromise of adjusting the divisions would be to swap Bc and Louisville for Va Tech and Pitt.

Atlantic: ----------------------------------Coastal:
Florida State-----------------------------Miami
Clemson---------------------------------Georgia Tech
NC State---------------------------------North Carolina
Wake Forest----------------------------Duke
Virginia Tech---------------------------Virginia
Syracuse---------------------------------Boston College
Pittsburgh-------------------------------Louisville

So swap VT for Louisville and Pitt for BC?

I think this will make our lives harder.

Longer term I'd bank money on VT being better than Louisville and Pitt being better than BC.

I'm more convinced than ever that nothing will change.

If you swap VT for Clemson , then the 2 superpowers are in different divisions and the 2 Virginia teams are in different divisions . A one time 2 team swap , no total makeover .

Just scrap divisions. Screw the NCAA, what are they gonna do?
Not allow us to have a championship game and maybe not allow us into the bball championship. I wouldn't be surprised if 3-5-5 isn't put another vote in 2017. The SEC and B1G now know the ACC isn't going away, and approving 3-5-5 would mean that they would be able to use it, too.

Last edited:
UVA would leave the ACC if it lost annual games with UNC and Duke.
I think flipping Miami and Clemson could work.
Make Clemson-FSU a crossover.
Make VPI-Miami a cross over.
Make BC-Georgia Tech crossover games.
The rest stay the same.
We wouldn't be outraged if we don't play Duke, just if we don't play UNC-CHeat.

So swap VT for Louisville and Pitt for BC?

I think this will make our lives harder.

Longer term I'd bank money on VT being better than Louisville and Pitt being better than BC.

I'm more convinced than ever that nothing will change.

College football is very cyclical .. so I agree, holding the current setup may be better... . also ... yes. . VT >> Louisville... and Pitt >>>>>>> BC... and I hate sPitt almost as much as I hate the beagles (aka.. loserzzz-errrs ) ... sorry.. I live in MA... and I digressed.

But you are right... It won't change... until...

We accept that and then just win the whole damn thing anyway.

LGO.

I was referring to Syracuse University.

In that particular matchup FHCSS made some really bad decisions. I don't think it's a fair barometer of what we'd face by being in their division or seeing them more often or even how this staff would approach it.

To many variables for blanket statements, IMHO.

We wouldn't be outraged if we don't play Duke, just if we don't play UNC-CHeat.
Atlantic......Coastal
Florida St Miami
Clemson Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech Louisville
North Carolina Virginia
Wake Forest Boston College
Duke Pittsburgh
North Carolina St Syracuse

This keeps most rivalries, and outside of Virginia, you have Big east schools on one side, ACC on the other. This keeps the most important Virginia- North Carolina game every year.

Atlantic...Coastal
Florida St Miami
Clemson Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech Louisville
North Carolina Virginia
Duke Pittsburgh

This keeps most rivalries, and outside of Virginia, you have Big east schools on one side, ACC on the other. This keeps the most important Virginia- North Carolina game every year.
I'm an Alsacs disciple. If the championship game rule isn't changed in 2017 to allow 3-5-5, then I'd advocate the 4-3 alignment of:
Atlantic - Coastal
Florida St - Miami
Clemson - Georgia Tech
Pitt - Louisvlle
SU - BC
As permanent members of those divisions and
2 groups of the VA and NC schools:
UVa - VPI
UNC-CHeat - NC State
dook - Wake

One VANC group is assigned to each division for 2 years and then, after playing a home-and-home is switched to the other division.

The 8 conference games for UVa as a VANC group member - UNC-CHeat, dook, VPI, the 4 teams in the division we're assigned to for that year, and one of Wake/NC State.
For SU as a permanent member of a division - F$U, Clemson, Pitt, the VANC Group for that year (3 games), BC, and one of Miami, Georgia Tech, and Louisville.
The VANC groups play at least one home-and-home against everyone else every 4 years and the permanent members of the divisions would get at least one home-and-home with everyone else every 6. Right now it takes 12 years for the home-and-home.

I'm an Alsacs disciple. If the championship game rule isn't changed in 2017 to allow 3-5-5, then I'd advocate the 4-3 alignment of:
Atlantic - Coastal
Florida St - Miami
Clemson - Georgia Tech
Pitt - Louisvlle
SU - BC
UVa - VPI
UNC-CHeat - NC State
Duke - Wake

One VANC group is assigned to each division for 2 years and then, after playing a home-and-home is switched to the other division.

The 8 conference games for UVa as a VANC group member - UNC-CHeat, Duke, VPI, the 4 teams in the division we're assigned to for that year, and one of Wake/NC State.
For SU as a permanent member of a division - F$U, Clemson, Pitt, the VANC Group for that year (3 games), BC, and one of Miami, Georgia Tech, and Louisville.
The VANC groups play at least one home-and-home against everyone else every 4 years and the permanent members of the divisions would get at least one home-and-home with everyone else every 6. Right now it takes 12 years for the home-and-home.

That's what I call the zipper pod strategy. I had a post on here about it three years ago or so. Even if you keep static visions, just swapping VT for SU or BC generates a proper zipper. The current ACC zipper gets stuck at half mast in Virginia.

I don't think the divisions really are unequal. Yes, the two best two programs are in the Atlantic, but in the regular season Coastal has a 29-27 advantage over the last four years. I don't think Louisville is better than Pitt right now either.

Last edited:
Atlantic - Coastal
Florida St - Miami
Clemson - Georgia Tech
Pitt - Louisvlle
SU - BC
UVa - VPI
UNC-CHeat - NC State
dook - Wake

The 8 conference games for UVa as a VANC group member - UNC-CHeat, dook, VPI, the 4 teams in the division we're assigned to for that year, and one of Wake/NC State.
I like it but Clemson would lose the annual rivalry with State.

That, plus Ga Tech would lose their game w/dook who they've played every year since 1937. I hope we don't use 4-3. The only argument in 4-3's favor is that it could be implemented NOW without needing a change to the rule on championship games. The rule now says you have to have divisions, but doesn't specify how long teams have to stay in the divisions. I really think 3-5-5 will be back on the table soon because the B1G and the SEC could implement it as well and come closer to getting an even level of competitiveness of the schedules across the conference. Right now, they're lopsided with the B1G's East Division and the SEC's West Division facing tougher schedules.

You would be playing them 4 times in 6 years and would get to play UNC, Miami, Ga. Tech, Duke, VPI home/home every 4?years.

You would be playing them 4 times in 6 years and would get to play UNC, Miami, Ga. Tech, Duke, VPI home/home every 4?years.
I'd gladly sacrifice playing State in order to play the other schools in the conference more.

That, plus Ga Tech would lose their game w/dook who they've played every year since 1937. I hope we don't use 4-3. The only argument in 4-3's favor is that it could be implemented NOW without needing a change to the rule on championship games. The rule now says you have to have divisions, but doesn't specify how long teams have to stay in the divisions. I really think 3-5-5 will be back on the table soon because the B1G and the SEC could implement it as well and come closer to getting an even level of competitiveness of the schedules across the conference. Right now, they're lopsided with the B1G's East Division and the SEC's West Division facing tougher schedules.
It'd be great if we could have rotating divisions.

I'm sick of these lopsided ridiculous divisions as well. But everyone in the coastal is perfectly fine with the setup.

Tells you something when a 4-8 Syracuse team beats the top team in the coastal soundly and puts up 61 points on Pitt

Does it?

Atlantic...Coastal
Florida St Miami
Clemson Virginia Tech
Georgia Tech Louisville
North Carolina Virginia
Duke Pittsburgh

This would be my ideal line-up, too, Bob. Get the old gang back together. You rekindle old rivalries that had some history. These generic, "balanced" divisions haven't created any new rivalries. They've just created more "who are we playing" types of conference games.

It'd be great if we could have rotating divisions.
Now that's an interesting idea I've never heard before.