Syracuse and the Big Ten | Syracusefan.com

Syracuse and the Big Ten

orangenirvana

Hall of Fame
I have no clue how legit this guy is (I'm assuming not very), but interesting nonetheless...

Just heard from someone who would know that Syracuse has recently moved up the list of B10 expansion candidates. Apparently, there is serious resistance by UNC and Duke (the B10 wants at least one) and UVA. Not sure how this all plays out, because I continue to believe once the Maryland situation is settled all hell is gonna break loose, but keep an eye on Syracuse. They might be coming to a stadium near you very soon.

I would love to get a Big Ten invite...then tell them no thanks, we're in a better place.

Link:

http://michigan.247sports.com/Board...e-board-as-B10-expansion-candidate-17957930/1

Chance of going to big ten is equal to the girl at work that has turned me down for dinner about five times equation equals 0 percent on both fronts. 0 interest. But I'm sure if I win the lottery the interest will go up to ten percent.

Chance is probably 0. That being said, there was interest on both parts (SU and B10) a few years back.

I do think this is along the lines of how it could play out. The B10 will keep pushing for their first choices, and be declined. Then, they'll nibble around the edges (taking some 2nd and 3rd choices) until their first choices have to commit.

There was a tiny tidbit...I think on the RU board. Don't know how true it was, but they were saying how RU was originally approached at an AAU meeting. Just have a feeling non-AAU might be the deal breaker.

Count me in the Kansas to B10 camp. Been thinking that since Nebraska joined. Think they'll find a way to make it happen without having to take KState.

We just have to keep making ourselves marketable (winning) so we're trending up when it all goes down.

Regardless, SU is not a good fit in the B1G.

We are not a large, land grant university with a huge base of alumni and a way to tap into State (and Federal via research grants) treasuries. SU is dwarfed by these schools in every way. (Yeah, I know, there's Northwestern. But they are an anomaly)

The ACC is a much better fit. Smaller schools and a presence among the many SU fans (Alums and non-Alum CNY'ers) that have moved to or retired to the Southeast. We are basketball and lacrosse centric ... just like some of the ACC schools.

Maryland made the jump to the B1G for the money only. They were running a huge athletic department budget and were prohibited by State law from tapping into university general funds ala Rutgers. They would be better off in the ACC but they had got themselves into a financial pickle and the B1G life raft was the only one available.

People in Maryland are increasingly becoming aware of what happened. The move became necessary because of the actions of the University administration. The knives are out for the guys who made this move necessary and who made the decision.

We are not a large, land grant university with a huge base of alumni and a way to tap into State (and Federal via research grants) treasuries. SU is dwarfed by these schools in every way. (Yeah, I know, there's Northwestern. But they are an anomaly)

The ACC is a much better fit. Smaller schools and a presence among the many SU fans (Alums and non-Alum CNY'ers) that have moved to or retired to the Southeast. We are basketball and lacrosse centric ... just like some of the ACC schools.

Maryland made the jump to the B1G for the money only. They were running a huge athletic department budget and were prohibited by State law from tapping into university general funds ala Rutgers. They would be better off in the ACC but they had got themselves into a financial pickle and the B1G life raft was the only one available.

People in Maryland are increasingly becoming aware of what happened. The move became necessary because of the actions of the University administration. The knives are out for the guys who made this move necessary and who made the decision.

But since that was basically the previous President prior to Loh and Debbie Yow (who is now at NC State), who are they going to cut with those knives?

Cheers,
Neil

I do think this is along the lines of how it could play out. The B10 will keep pushing for their first choices, and be declined. Then, they'll nibble around the edges (taking some 2nd and 3rd choices) until their first choices have to commit.

There was a tiny tidbit...I think on the RU board. Don't know how true it was, but they were saying how RU was originally approached at an AAU meeting. Just have a feeling non-AAU might be the deal breaker.

Count me in the Kansas to B10 camp. Been thinking that since Nebraska joined. Think they'll find a way to make it happen without having to take KState.

We just have to keep making ourselves marketable (winning) so we're trending up when it all goes down.

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Supposedly the Big Ten takes over the world strategy back in 2010 was actually presented by Delany to the Big Ten presidents at an AAU meeting as well - this was the scenario where the BiG expanded with ND, Texas, and Texas A&M. They got none of them.

Cheers,
Neil

I agree that the ACC is a better fit. However, do you really think the B10 cares whether a school is a "land-grant" university? "We reject that school because it was not founded as a result of the the benefits of the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890!"

Better fit or not, the B1G is the most stable conference there is and it makes enormous amounts of money. No threat of being left out in the cold due to expansion, very competitive in football and basketball, and a lot of money available for the athletic department and research... we would be fools not to entertain and listen to the offers. The others in the ACC don't care about us, therefore I won't care too about them (fan-wise).

I'd personally rather be in the ACC if it were to stay as it is. That said, it's a shaky situation right now and it could collapse if certain things don't go according to plan. The Maryland suit would have to be settled first also.

I doubt it would ever happen but if it did it would take about 3 seconds for Gross/SU took accept. Its not even debatable.

I agree that the ACC is a better fit. However, do you really think the B10 cares whether a school is a "land-grant" university? "We reject that school because it was not founded as a result of the the benefits of the Morrill Acts of 1862 and 1890!"

Not my point at all.

The B1G may not care.

But SU should. And the "Land Grant" thing isn't a barrier, it's the "Humongous" that comes along with it. SU is a fraction of the size of these schools.

I'd be concerned about how the B1G chooses schools. The last two they added seemed to completely ignore all the aspects of a school except for potential TV audience and cable company carriage fees.

Not my point at all.

The B1G may not care.

But SU should. And the "Land Grant" thing isn't a barrier, it's the "Humongous" that comes along with it. SU is a fraction of the size of these schools.

I'd be concerned about how the B1G chooses schools. The last two they added seemed to completely ignore all the aspects of a school except for potential TV audience and cable company carriage fees.

I wouldn't agree that they seemed to ignore all the aspects of a school at all, actually both are great fits as far as B1G qualifications are concerned.

Both are their State's flagship schools.
Both are AAU.
Both do a pretty good amount of research.
Both are academically very well respected and ranked.

IMO, they both fit very well except for the fact that they are mediocre to downright terrible fits athletically. Which doesn't amount to anything really. For the CIC alone, both would have been stupid not to jump.

Not my point at all.

The B1G may not care.

But SU should. And the "Land Grant" thing isn't a barrier, it's the "Humongous" that comes along with it. SU is a fraction of the size of these schools.k

It would be no bueno. Timezone, completely different type of schools, little to no alumni / CNYtransplant support in any of those markets.

It makes no sense for us to be in a conference with Iowa. At least with Clemson (to name an outlier in the ACC for us) we have lots of folks relocated to the Carolinas and vacation down that way.

It would be no bueno. Timezone, completely different type of schools, little to no alumni / CNYtransplant support in any of those markets.

It makes no sense for us to be in a conference with Iowa. At least with Clemson (to name an outlier in the ACC for us) we have lots of folks relocated to the Carolinas and vacation down that way.

SU wouldn't jump for the athletic side of it, they would jump for the academic side of it, no question.

Not my point at all.

The B1G may not care.

I agree and I didn't think it was "your point" . Big is desired, yes. So is the money that backs state schools...that private schools like SU don't have. I just see a lot of people use the term "land-grant" as if it matters. As you say, it doesn't. Let's agree never to use the term "land-grant" again when discussing the criteria for entering the Big 10. :)

Personally, I like the ACC better than the B1G for Syracuse. I wish the conference had one or two less North Carolina teams just for balance. But other than Wake, I can't see anyone I would want to jettison.

Would kill for B1G. Especially with this staff.

I agree with all this, but still wish there actually a bit of northeast in the ACC football wise. If that happens, I'd be happy. Well, as happy as I can be to not be playing in the BE for hoops and going to the garden every March (although I'll still probably make the trek up there for whatever tournament is still played there).

But since that was basically the previous President prior to Loh and Debbie Yow (who is now at NC State), who are they going to cut with those knives?

Cheers,
Neil

Well Loh made the decision to go. So he has a problem. Along with the new AD. He's been called an "outsider" and a Big Ten loyalist who has no idea what was at stake here. The AD too.

If you read the WaPo they are looking at the process and the lack of transparency of it, suggesting that it was improper or even illegal. Loh insists the B1G made them do it that way. But that doesn't make it right or legal. When I hear that sort of talk, I get the sense that they are going to go after the guy. It's not the wisdom of the decision or even the necessity of the decision, it's the legality of the process? Yeah right. But they finally got Al Capone for income tax evasion.

Only Loh and the Maryland financial people wanted this. Everyone else was against it. Nobody I know wanted to switch conferences and play in the B1G. Nobody. And after Maryland BB victory against Duke this year, people were outraged.

The University PR blitz that tried to sell this as great to the general fan base fell flat.

The carping is never going to stop. There's no enthusiasm for it. And there's a precedent for the fans to literally force a Maryland Chancellor out of office. That's what happened in the wake of the Bias death and the firing of Lefty when they put Wade in as basketball coach..

Of course none of the outraged were going to have to pay the bills. But that doesn't matter to them.

WVU has started bellyaching about the cost of travel and the disruption to student academic schedules. Maryland can't say a word. And remeber the B1G money just really gets them up to breakeven. This isn't some huge bonanza here. (Same with Rutgers who was running a $25M deficit and grabbing student funds and general revenue funds to balance the Athletic Department books.)

Very happy with the ACC. A move to the B1G would suck for the fans. Barely any of our alumni live in those areas.

Looking forward to traveling to Florida, the Carolinas and Virginia to watch some games. Not Iowa or Minnesota.

This rumor is crap the B1G is expanding for TV boxes and that alone for money for the BTN. Rutgers is going to get the BTN on cable in NYC because of the FOX purchase of YES and the leveraging of the Yankees network to get BTN on the NYC basic cable package. SU is not going to the B1G no more need to discuss it. The B1G wants 2 from the group of UNC/UVA/Duke(only if they are necessary to get UNC)/Ga. Tech and the only reason these schools interest the B1G is for the cable boxes of North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia which are the 3 of the top states that are experiencing population growth. Look at the electoral map and census Pennsylvania lost 1 EV, Ohio lost 2 EVs, Michigan lost 1 EV, Illinois lost 1 EV and North Carolina gained 1 EV, Georgia gained 1 EV, Virginia gained 1 EV. The population is shifting from the rust belt of B1G's region and is moving into the SEC/ACC territory. Delany is trying to expand his markets to make the B1G more money. Syracuse (in NY which lost 2 EV) isn't going to get the B1G anymore money that is why the UConn idiots holding out for the B1G are completely clueless. If the ACC shows solidarity the only school that would be willing to move is Florida State and that is to the SEC the B1G won't take Florida State most likely because the academic elitist programs Michigan, Northwestern etc. don't want another outlaw program like Nebraska in Florida State.